Cal Poly SLO Class of 2024 New Applicants Thread

I believe that is a scholarship, not financial aid. It is the only scholarship my OOS daughter got in 2018. She did get some financial aid but it was only in the form of loans.

@CollegHound2020: Cal Poly SLO and all Cal states in general give little in the form of merit aid (scholarship) and no need-based aid for OOS students. CSU’s are public universities so their FA is directed to in-state California applicants. There are some departmental scholarships that may be posted later in your portal but assume this will be the only merit aid coming.

Accepted Tuesday 3/3
Business Administration
GPA 3.98 UW, 4.46 W
1400 SAT
in-state

Has anyone been accepted today? or should we assume that more acceptances wont be out until Monday or even later in the week?

Daughter accepted into alternate major via email on Friday evening.

Accepted
Theater
W CSU GPA 4.3
1320 SAT
MCA 4230-ish*

Proud that she was accepted into such a competitive school, but won’t be attending, as her alternate major isn’t what she want to focus on. (She has a lot of theater EC’s & leadership role, but loves STEM.)

*MCA score would’ve been higher if we’d known to report extensive unpaid volunteering/summer interning under jobs/work experience. Beating myself up over it a bit, but what’s done is done.

A $1k CPS Nat’l Green and Gold Scholarship shows up on my daughter’s portal as well. We are OOS, so I can’t imagine she would get more than this.

My son received his financial aid information yesterday. He was accepted 3/3 and said yes immediately. He is oos, hereceived a 1,000 scholarship from cal poly.

This may be a dumb question but what are the number of semesters based on to reach the maximum? English, math and foreign language has a max of 10 semesters. How is that possible using grades 9-11? I understand math & foreign language can also pull from middle school but English doesn’t. Is 12th coursework considered? Here’s the MCA calculator link:

https://mca.netlify.com/

Thanks!

You need to enter the number of semesters for ALL of high school, grades 9-12. I don’t think English in middle school would count, but possibly Journalism or an academic English elective would.

English was throwing me off but that makes sense. Thanks!

All high school coursework is considered in the application, but the GPA calculation is from the courses taken in grades 9-11. This is all spelled out on the Cal Poly web site:

https://www.calpoly.edu/admissions/first-year-student/selection-criteria

Only middle school courses in math and foreign language that are part of an accelerated path. So French 1 in middle school counts only if one takes French 2 in High School.

Yes, under “High School Course Requirements” (https://www.calpoly.edu/admissions/first-year-student/selection-criteria/high-school-course-requirements), the web site says:

English (Area B )
Four years of English are required and five years are recommended. Five years can be achieved by taking two eligible classes during one academic year or taking a college course. Eligible classes include courses in language, composition and literature; they must integrate extensive reading, frequent writing, and practice listening and speaking with different audiences. Students may only use one year of ESL/ELD English.

At my daughter’s high school, they offer English 9, 10, and 11. Seniors take AP Lit or AP Lang. (They would offer English 12, but I am not aware of an instance where a sufficient number of students signed up for English 12 for the school to run the class.) Occasionally, though, a student decides to take both AP Lit and AP Lang in the senior year.

Wow, accepted already! Sounds like it was his first choice, then. What is he going to be studying?

Yes!!! We lived in California in 2016 and would visit Avila beach almost every weekend. He fell in love with the town and campus and has been working towards getting accepted there ever since!!! Has accepted for Electrical Engineering !

That’s wonderful to hear - congratulations!

has anyone received an acceptance to foods and nutrition major?

Yes. Search for “nutrition” in the stats thread:
http://talk.qa.collegeconfidential.com/cal-poly-san-luis-obispo/2175337-cp-slo-freshman-class-of-2024-stats-only-decision-thread-final-status.html#latest

Thank you so much for the response! I actually applied for food science but haven’t heard back. I did not see anyone with that major on the stats thread. Has anyone been accepted into the food science major at Cal Poly?

Yes, many people have been accepted for food science.