Cal Poly SLO Class of 2024 New Applicants Thread

how do you know?

Cal Poly has sent out at least 10,000 acceptance notices. An appropriate percentage of them would be for food science.

@soccersoccer12 At least some of the notifications seem to have been released by department. If there are no acceptances for food science in either this thread or the stats thread, there’s a chance that department just hasn’t been released yet. Good luck.

Admitted on March 3rd
Microbiology
So-Cal Resident
SAT 1410
CSU GPA: something like 4.3

thank you!

Hope they rip the bandaid off, and release rest of decisions!! There’s no ex’s or essays!! Why are they taking so long?

Can someone explain the significant MCA increase for living in the service area? It’s understandable if SLO were an average CSU without impacted programs but that’s not the case. It’s a little disheartening to see applicants getting in with the same major and 100+ point lower SAT and lower GPA.

Me too

GPA CSU: 3.81
ACT: 24
Out of state
Major: Communications
Any feedback about my chances would be great, thanks!

willfitz21 did you get notification this am?

Gumbymom can probably speak to this more specifically but apparently when a site is impacted, that’s when the priority for local residents kicks in. During impaction, “applications received from students from outside the designated local area will be held to higher admission requirements than those received from students inside the local area.” https://www2.calstate.edu/attend/degrees-certificates-credentials/Pages/impacted-degrees.aspx

For those OOS that have received financial aid letters, where are those showing up?

@Soccer416:

The original goal of the Cal State system was to give local applicants access to a quality education, so that is why there are defined local service area’s and why local applicants get priority. In Cal Poly SLO’s MCA score calculation based on original data, local applicants get a 500 point bonus for being in the local service area.

Each CSU campus determines how they will handle local priority. SJSU gives a GPA bump and CSU Long Beach guarantees admission into Undeclared with a 3200 Eligibility index.

As stated by @kikob, applicants outside the local service area are held to a higher standard for impacted campuses and programs. MCA scores can be helpful to determine if you are competitive when applying but they are no means definitive for admission.

Has anyone heard since last wave? Are we expecting responses today?

I have to think the large waves of acceptances are over by now. It’s probably just one offs here and there. I don’t understand what would be holding them back if they did still have large batches. I don’t have any inside information. Just trying to use logic.

Super frustrating since there’s not much to the application! Received answers back from other schools with applications that are super in depth with several essays and whole resumes to review!?! I don’t get it! Cal poly is just a numbers game, just let the computer spit out the algorithm!

It’s discouraging that we haven’t heard yet. If it’s just numbers, then it doesn’t make sense that others with almost identical stats for the same major got in a week ago and we’re still in limbo. What am I missing?

@HopefulMadre my daughter is In-State and she found her FA info in her student portal. She did not receive a letter, etc.

My daughter did not put in her 8th grade math in the application. Would it make that much of a difference?