Cal Poly SLO Class of 2025 Regular Decision

A week ago I posted something from SJSUs Twitter account. It looks like all acceptances weren’t sent out on Monday. But there is some admissions game playing going on with some of these schools: @SJSU_ES

Fall 2021 undergrad applicants: #SJSU will begin posting admission notices soon! Check your MySJSU account throughout February and March for updates. Freshmen admission decisions will begin as early as next week, and transfer admission decisions will begin in late February.

Saw this interesting article

Also, apparently, if your child or you didn’t get into your first choice major, then that’s probably why you or your child hasn’t heard back.

hey i’m new to this forum because i’m currently stressing about getting into my dream school of SLO. i visited 2 weeks ago and fell in love and got my expectations too high for my stats. i have a 3.82 csu gpa with numerous hours of EC’s and leadership roles. i feel like that’s an alright profile for some majors but i made the mistake of applying under CS rip. is a heavily impacted major such as CS strictly gpa based. I am often in contact with their admissions office and they claim prior knowledge/ experince in a students applied major plays no role in admissions but clearly the evidence doesn’t portray that. Does anyone have an honest opinion of my chances of getting in? because ik comp sci is insanely competitive but i learned that way too late

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.sanluisobispo.com/news/local/education/article249496020.html

1 Like

@dabossg: Here is the admitted GPA range for 2020 applicants in the College of Engineering, GPA middle 50th percentile was 4.04 – 4.27. CS is one of the most popular and competitive majors with an estimated 5050 applicants for 170 spots. You can determine your chances off this information.

Thank you for all of the info!

You have so much knowledge and experience with so many schools. It’s amazing really.

@Carbonman: Most of the information is available on the college websites, you just need to do a little digging. The Calstates can be a bit more straightforward in their admission decisions since the majority is based on academics with SLO a slight exception. I just try to look at the facts/stats available and make an educated guess but there are always exceptions.

How do you get the report to show non-CA info? Hoping to see what my state (WA) high schools are, thanks!

You had mentioned some time ago that SLO had tapped in to the waitlist pool for final admits once or twice in recent years. I am sure that must change from year to year. I spoke with my daughter at SLO this morning and she said quite a few of her friends at SLO got in from the waitlist. So, maybe all is not lost until the first of April.

I don’t have the numbers in front of me but Cal Poly had many more admits off the waitlist last year than in previous years. I think many expect that trend to continue this year. It’s a bit more challenging these days for colleges to predict yield (how many enroll that are accepted). Waitlists are one way they can account for that.

Our in state high school saw several of kids get off the wait list for Cal Poly last year because kids who had planned on going out of state decided to stay in state because of Covid. They saw the same thing happen with the UC’s. Lots of kids getting off waitlists, more than normal.

The 2020 waitlist numbers are not available but here is what the previous 3 years waitlist numbers looked like. It all depends upon how many students end up enrolling vs. their target projections. If less students enroll and as spots open up, then they start taking students off the waitlist.

2017:

Waitlisted: 3168

Admitted: 16

2018:

Waitlisted: 6643

Admitted: 2436

2019:

Waitlisted: 4967

Admitted: 67

In 2020, I believe there were more admitted off the waitlist, similar to 2018 numbers but unfortunately cannot confirm.

Anyone have any insight on Econ major? Still haven’t seen anyone mention being accepted to this major. While it’s one of the more popular majors at other schools, it seems to be a pretty small major at Cal Poly. Based on another post last year, I think it might actually have a lower acceptance rate than business :frowning_face:

SLO’s Econ projections show 994 applicants for 70 spots. Last year they had an acceptance rate of 43.5% for the College of Business overall, but they do not have a yield rate so if you take the standard 33%, they will accept 210 Econ majors to fill the spots??

Compare that to 5777 applicants for Business Admin and 581 available spots.

1 Like

In last year’s thread, waitlisted applicants were accepted into June and July. Amazing.

Thank you. Very interesting.

And for the Architecture major?

Thank you. Discouraging, probably should have considered Bus Major, but just wasn’t interested in it as an undergraduate major.