Cal Poly SLO Class of 2025 Regular Decision

How about for Mathematics?

So for Architecture, projected applicants is 1525 for 150 spots. SLO projections are linked here: https://content-calpoly-edu.s3.amazonaws.com/ir/1/images/2020%20Program%20Level%20Enrollment%20Projections_0.pdf

For Mathematics, 902 projected applicants for 85 spots. https://content-calpoly-edu.s3.amazonaws.com/ir/1/images/2020%20Program%20Level%20Enrollment%20Projections_0.pdf

What none of this data shows an applicant is the average or GPA range for admitted students by major and the exact # that is admitted by major, only by College.

1 Like

@Gumbymom How do we send you a Starbucks GC for all this heavy lifting?! Are you a Starbucks fan?!

4 Likes

No monetary appreciation required. This position is purely voluntary and like I have stated before, CC helped me out a lot when my son’s were first applying to college so I do not mind paying it forward. I have been in your shoes several times and I think is more nerve racking for the parents than the students. Everything will turn out for the best and your students will all thrive wherever they end up.

14 Likes

I have a feeling the yield rate might vary quite a bit for different majors. What do you think?

Does this mean they will admit roughly 1900 students for the Business Admin assuming they admit 33% of applicants?

Do the UC’s have similar worksheets that are accessible? I was never able to track down this major specific info before applying. Wish I had!

1 Like

Yes, you are correct that the yield can vary greatly between majors, just like the acceptance rate by major, so unless they specifically state the yield, the 33% is a general guesstimate.

1 Like

You can look at the 2019 target projections vs the actual for Business Admin. For 2019, they projected 5982 applicants for 516 spots. They enrolled 550.

SLO has historical data and yield rates for all majors (unfortunately not posted), so if they do not reach their target, they will take applicants off the waitlist. They try not admit more applicants than they have capacity, but there have been several years where they were over enrolled meaning the following year, they would admit less and waitlist more so they can manage their enrollment.

@pjk2002: Some UC’s have applications vs. admitted vs. enrolled data by major such as UCI, but not all UC’s or CSU’s are this transparent. If you want the UCI information, I can send you a PM since I do not want to divert this discussion thread.

That’s what is all comes down too, isn’t it? My son did the same thing by applying to engineering programs that interested him, but are hard to get into. I think it is the right thing to do as one should shoot for what they want to do. But he is up against how many students apply for his target major, what the schools want based on what they need and what is best for them, and there is always the issue of application criteria changing from year to year.

2 Likes

I think Econ depends on the year as Gumbymom said. S19 applied two years ago and did not get in. S21 was accepted this year under a philosophy major. Both had very similar stats. Although with no SAT/ACT this year we may be comparing apples to oranges if we look at past data, as weighting of different criteria seems to have shifted this year.

Econ seems to get many more applications. For 2020 planning, Econ was 994 applications for 70 spots. Philosophy was 167 applications for 42 spots.

1 Like

lmao so basically rip my chances

Has anyone been accepted for general engineering yet?

A search of this thread reveals no one.

Does it matter when you commit to calpoly? Because I want to hear back from the UC’s still which is throughout March.

You need to commit to SLO or any other Cal State or UC by May 1. Some Cal states housing opens early and many can be first come so if you have a definite top school, it is better to commit earlier than later. I believe SLO’s housing opens April 8 so after the UC decisions.

Isn’t it also polite to let schools know as soon as you know if you won’t be going there? It helps them move people off the wait lists.

2 Likes