Cal Poly SLO Class of 2025 Regular Decision

I agree. It is considerate to let them know if you have made a sure decision.

1 Like

Anyone get accepted to environmental engineering yet? I havenā€™t had any portal update. Wishing everyone luck and congrats to people who have been accepted already. :slight_smile:

Yes, if you have an acceptance and have no intention of attending, then declining your acceptance earlier does help open spots up for others. Just remember that all schools admit more students than actually enroll, so they expect a certain percentage to decline anyways. Most schools do not go to the waitlist until after May 1 but it really depends upon how many decline early, then the schools can open up the waitlist sooner.

2 Likes

If you search the thread you will find post #141 and #169 were at least 2 acceptances for environmental engineering here on this thread.

@Gumbymom - thank you for the link to the stats.

Comp Sci: 5050 for 170 slots = 3%
Psychology: 2599 for 80 slots = 3%

• of course acceptance will be a bit higher, but sheer numbers for those slots - DD has an uphill climb.

Aerospace Engineering: 1842 for 90 slots at nearly 5% ā€“ a ā€˜walk in the parkā€™ there :smiley:

It seems like only OOS has been accepted for environmental engineeringā€¦so I guess thatā€™s a good sign that me who is instate hasnā€™t gotten a decision yet.

They yield about 33% of the kids they accept. So using that number, the acceptance rate would be in the neighborhood of 10% for CS and Psych. about 15% for Aerospace. Yikes.

1 Like

Iā€™m sure that youā€™re aware that CC represents just a small sample size of all acceptances. And the audience is a combination of both instate and OOS students and parents. In any case, hopefully there will be more acceptances released this week.

2 Likes

If youā€™re a parent of a student who has receive an offer of admission, be sure to join the Cal Poly SLO Mustang Parents facebook page. Itā€™s a fantastic resource, with over 20,000 members. Accepted students should join the Cal Poly SLO Class of 2025 (official) facebook page, even if theyā€™re not normally facebook types, to meet other students and potential roommates. The page is moderated by older students who will also answer questions.

3 Likes

Agree - the parents page is awesome. The admins are walking encyclopedias and so helpful!!!

Does anyone have any experience with the Quarter+ program? I know it can be tough to watch all of your friends head off to college in August and be stuck at home waiting to go in late September. Iā€™m thinking even the virtual option might be a good thing for my S21.

Good question for the CP Parents page - there are tons of parents of existing students in there. I think it would be interesting for our son, too (was kind of surprised at how late they start!).

I thought I saw 1st day of school was September 8th, or was the first day of welcome week. Either way didnā€™t think it was that late. My S19 who is at UCSC started October 1st this year. Now that was late!

1 Like

Should I expect a decision in the next few days if accepted?

Yes, I think youā€™re correct on dates. Wow, UCSC is late! I guess Iā€™m just comparing to our DS high school, which starts 2nd or 3rd week of August!

Actually, it looks like students donā€™t start until September 15th. September 8th is faculty only. I guess it isnā€™t that different, but I still think most kids will be gone long before that. I will ask on the Parents Page.

I do remember it was hard on my D19 and her other quarter system friends when everyone left if mid August and they were left kind of wandering around in a holding pattern for a month! There was a strange zombie look in the eyes of all of these high achievers who had nothing to do but wait!

https://registrar.calpoly.edu/2021-2022-academic-calendar

My son did it last August. It was virtual. He got 2 classes out of the way. They did lots if virtual events and he made some good friends. He was super comfortable about living on campus for fall. I think itā€™s a great program. It would be even better if it was in-person this year. I havenā€™t checked. Have they made that announcement?

Just checked. Letā€™s keep our fingers crossed that they can do the in-person option!

1 Like

Yes. I think I saw somewhere on the website that welcome week was the week before for incoming freshman. Whether will be in person or not we will have to see. :crossed_fingers:

1 Like

Thank you! Thatā€™s exactly what I was hoping to get out of it for my son. Check off a few classes and hopefully meet some new people and develop some level of comfort with the school while not feeling lost because so many friends are off starting their new lives. Definitely hoping for in person!

That makes sense. I didnā€™t think about a welcome week! I believe that by the time we get to September, it will be in person. I have to believe thatā€¦this has been such a long year.

3 Likes