Cal Poly SLO Class of 2025 Regular Decision

My thoughts exactly. What opinions are there as far as which is better for the liberal arts majors, UCs or Cal poly ? And how do cal poly liberal arts majors “learn by doing”? My son is a philosophy major, although he may change course, I wonder what the difference would be for someone in his shoes.

1 Like

@grableca This might be a good question. To post on the Cal Poly Reddit. It’s a bigger community and you could ask specific info about the humanities.

1 Like

Has anyone been rejected yet? Also, has anyone got a decision for Environmental Engineering?

I would check out the website and curriculum and even talk to someone in the department. https://www.calpoly.edu/major/philosophy

From our experience in CENG everyone seems really helpful and willing to answer questions.

1 Like

Philosophy is great. Have you checked the average salary for college grads? Philosophy majors are at or near the top. They know how to think. I was looking at the Philosophy Dept’s web page and they were selling themselves as one of the best ways to get into law school. I guess that has a 'learn-by-doing ’ orientation. Philosophy Majors Make More Money Than Majors in any other Humanities Field | Daily Nous

Great to know! I had heard about Philosophy and law school which is a road my son is interested in potentially going down. Thanks for the link! I will definitely check out and share. :blush:

Have you seen CalPoly’s Philosophy Dept web site? https://philosophy.calpoly.edu/

There are many articles on the value and income of a philosophy degree if you do a search.

1 Like

I work in tech and my manager had a philosophy degree from Berkeley and it’s clear that that degree is very applicable to all kinds of industries. The ability to think critically is lacking in so many areas that someone with this degree really stands out!

3 Likes

Just paid tuition: $3359 a quarter. That’s a good deal.

4 Likes

Still waiting for decision for DD. We will still hear back and portal will be updated if rejected, correct?

Yes, you will be notified of a decision one way or another.

No doubt! But still staggering to me considering I paid $250/quarter to attend in the 80s. LOL

3 Likes

Thank you! I wonder then why does it take so long to just reject ppl after first acceptances rather than having them all wait…It’s so stressful already for these kids!

3 Likes

I think I paid around $211 a quarter at UCLA in 1980.

2 Likes

Is it possible that all the acceptances are out and they will just take people off the waitlist now?

Applicants have been asking this questions for years, why cannot they just release all decisions at once. I cannot tell you the reason, but I agree it is frustrating to wait.

In general, most schools do not go to the waitlist until after May 1 the official SIR date. If students decline admission prior to this date, then spots open up to start pulling from the waitlist.

Whens the date comin out for transfers? Freaking out; prob march 16?

Your guess is as good as mine. The dates change every year and SLO never gives anyone the heads up.

I’m confused. If most waitlist decisions come out after the may 1 deadline, then how can we accept if we have already committed to another school?