Cal Poly SLO Class of 2025 Regular Decision

Purely anecdotal, but I met a young lady who was an upperclassman at U of A, and she said she would not send her kid there. She said the partying was over the top. And she was not a straight-laced girl, being judgmental. Of course this is not the only school you’ll hear this about, but honestly, you don’t hear it about every school, right?

If someone has a kid that’s going to find the party no matter where they go, it doesn’t mater. Or if someone has a kid that has zero interest in that kind of thing, then it doesn’t matter. (And some of those kids do change…) But if someone has a kid that would do better if not surrounded with the temptation, those things might be good to know.

1 Like

Just have to say good idea on this. We moved our son to campus (different school) in January, and I spent a lot of time figuring out where to stay. We really ended up spending little time there, and the one thing that was helpful was being close to the campus because there were many trips back and forth.

1 Like

My friend’s son went to UCR for some kind of bio major, and ended up getting selected for a PhD program after his undergrad work with one of the professors. All paid, stipend, the whole deal. There are so many ways to look at schools, but one important one is the kinds of opportunities that may be available for next steps.

2 Likes

For move-in, your student will login to housing and book a move-in day and time. We reserved the Hampton for 2 nights. Stayed over night the first night. Next day, moved him in and hung around a bit and then stayed over night one more night. Went back over to campus to just check in. He was settled and we left around 3:00pm. Mind you, this was last year so there was nothing to do because of COVID. We couldn’t hang out with him in his dorm or anything. There were no events on campus. I’m hoping this year will be a completely different animal.

2 Likes

Thank you for sharing this. Good to know that we will have a move in date soon.

We are only 5 hours away, one or two nights really should be all we need. The fun part will be going back for visits once he has figured out the lay of the land and can show us around.

1 Like

Thank you for this info. I think 1 night should be good for us. We are just 3.5 hours away.

3 Likes

OK, we FINALLY clicked “accept,” but no confirmation email yet.

Under terms and conditions, because I always read those, it states that you have to accept their offer within 30 days of your acceptance email, which was dated 2/23. So, we’re in under the wire. In my head, I had thought every school has a 5/1 date, so I’m wondering if SLO holds you to that 30-day period.

We plan to go down (Silicon Valley Area) to SLO again, during Spring Break for another visit. Why? I don’t know. It’s not my call. I haven’t traveled anywhere in a year, so I’m fine with it. D has two more schools to hear from, but she doesn’t want to go to either of them and they’re both high reaches.

We’re still on the Santa Cruz WL, but that seems superfluous now.

2 Likes

My daughter just checked and that 30 day thing is for grad students. Undergrad is May 1. Whew!

4 Likes

I thought we clicked undergraduate acceptance and not graduate acceptance but I could be wrong. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Several new Mustangs today! Congratulations!

1 Like

That has tricked quite a few people.

I think you did the correct thing but the 30 days is for graduate students.

1 Like

Whew~ I was like :scream:when I saw the 30 days…

1 Like

check daily!

@loveorangecats & @sushiritto Please join the parent page on Facebook. “Cal Poly SLO Mustang Parents” and answer the 3 questions. The group is a wealth of information and @loveorangecats you will get confirmation that you don’t pay a deposit and you won’t get an email. The school only communicates with the student and the FB page really helps with all the questions. I’ll see you on the page and Congratulations!

1 Like

Hello have all of Cal Poly SLO Freshmen decisions been released. Either my son is not telling me or he has not received a decision

My son was declined Friday. Apparently, the declines are the last to go out. You might have him show you the portal??? Good luck!

For anyone interested, I read this in the SLO Tribune article dated 2/25/2021 and updated on 3/1, re: SLO admissions:

[quote]“If you’re doing a holistic evaluation, you’re looking at multiple data points,” he said. “We have all the cognitive factors, minus the test score now. We used to use the test score, but we also have the non-cognitive factors that are important to us.”

Those non-cognitive factors include someone’s zip code and veteran status Maraviglia (Vice President of Enrollment Management) said, as well as involvement in clubs.

All of those non-cognitive factors must be data points that can be validated, Maraviglia said, and not by anecdotal evidence.

“You can validate income, you can validate if a person is in the (FFA) or FIRST Robotics — those are data points. They’re all data points that can be validated,” he said. “Not to mention when you’re looking at an academic record, you could start looking at a student and what they’ve accomplished in the seventh and eighth grade, say in algebra or (a) foreign language.”

Removing the test requirement from the application does not mean that the school does not want to know what a student received on their SAT or ACT, however, he added.

For example, Maraviglia said, it’s a useful tool for figuring out what math class a student may belong in — calculus, statistics, pre-calculus or algebra.[/quote]

2 Likes

Does the last paragraph mean admitted students should submit their test score if they have one?

Yes, I think so. We did.

2 Likes