Cal Poly SLO Class of 2025 Regular Decision

Glad to see you are ready to move on and focus some positive energy on all of those great schools your child is probably choosing between.

They just added a line for undergrad applicants, so corrected!

2 Likes

Again, people say there is no yield protect, but I do think they consider probability of attending when evaluating all the applications. After all, it doesnā€™t do any good if all UCs and Cal Poly accept the same top 10000 students, and leave everyone else with rejections? Remember one can only attend one school, and if you already have acceptance from some of the more selective schools, why still gets upset just because one of the schools at the bottom of your list rejected you? There is no incentive for get 100% acceptance.

1 Like

This is good datapoint to share about your experience.

From the CalPoly website: Cal Poly gives preference in the competitive admission process to local applicants. You are considered local if you graduate(d) from a high school in San Luis Obispo County, northern Santa Barbara County and southern Monterey County. There was also a mention that because of impaction, there is no guarantee to local residents who meet admissions criteria to be guaranteed a spot.

Best wishes to your daughter, as well as to others seeking admissions in the Fall of 2021!

What if SLO is someoneā€™s dream school? SLO has no idea if the student applied anywhere else, so why reject?

1 Like

Congrats! Quick question, where did you see your scholarship on the UCSC portal?

There was a separate email, asking to check financial aid section

TBH, I would tell myself they donā€™t deserve me and walk away. Seriously, they canā€™t possibly admit all the qualified kids.

2 Likes

SLO is not less selective. They are less holistic though. My kids got into SLO but were waitlisted at some UCs where that was not expected. My son was waitlisted at UCSC undeclared (not CS) with a W GPA: 4.22, UW GPA: 3.94 and test blind 35 ACT. Definitely some mystery admission criteria there too.

1 Like

You all are missing the point and making it personal, I donā€™t really care about SLO given the choices I have.
I was highlighting the fact that SLO does reject for unknown reasons so if some high academic student does nā€™t get into SLO, donā€™t be surprised and donā€™t be sad!

Ohh okay, can I ask how much later it came in? Sorry just wanted to see if there was a till a chance for mešŸ˜†

Mar5th

If anyone is unhappy with their SLO admission decision, then they can appeal their decision.

Hint: Perfection of your admission decisions isnā€™t one of the criteria. :grinning:

We didnā€™t get a reason for rejection from any school that my D was rejected from. The reason is always unknown.

2 Likes

Ok. I am sorry I might have misunderstood it, but you did sound upset, thatā€™s why. Again, forget abt this and go celebrate! Iā€™d be so happy if I was at your position.

3 Likes

Oh, donā€™t know abt you guys, but if a school rejects my D, I immediately change the status of the thread from ā€œtrackingā€ to ā€œmuteā€, cos they just donā€™t deserve my attention anymore. Call that my helpless revenge. LOL.

3 Likes

Hereā€™s the SLO appeal thread on CC:

SLO odyssey finally ends. LOL they passed on him for CS, but Pomona, UCR, UCSD, UCI, UCSB, UCD said yes. Waitlisted at UCLA and Georgia Tech, UW EE accepted. He is 3/400 in his class. 12 APs, all As in STEM including a few CC math courses. Not an exceptional amount of ECs. Hoping for good news on Berkeley L&S admit! Rough year, congrats to those accepted, SLO is a nice option.

7 Likes

So glad to hear your child has some really strong options. We had similar results, although rejected outright from GT and accepted at SLO. :woman_shrugging: I really should give up making sense of it all.

1 Like

I did not know you could do this!! Thank you for sharing! I have a bit of revenge activity to go and engage in!!!

1 Like