I heard UCSB was not expecting until Tuesday the 22nd

2 Likes

UCLA - tomorrow
UCSB - the 22nd
UCB - the 24th
USC - the 25th

That’s all I know of!

5 Likes

Correct. I was just saying we are waiting!

2 Likes

I wonder how many of us waiting for SLO have SLO as the #1 choice. If you get in, are you definitely going? Or still thinking about it? I think we’d be in the “definitely going” camp.

6 Likes

Cal Poly SLO #6 in best value colleges in California.
https://www.sanluisobispo.com/news/local/education/article259501894.html

1 Like

My son’s acceptance email was last Thursday, 3/10 @ 7:12pm.

2 Likes

So at this point I am hoping for waitlist ;). Does anyone know how students are selected from the waitlist? Are they ranked?

1 Like

I asked her on the Facebook page when it was and she said the email was from the 10th, so not today.

2 Likes

See the waitlist discussion thread but here are the details. It is ranked by major.

2021:
Number of qualified applicants offered a place on waiting list: 9829
Number accepting a place on the waiting list:
Number of wait-listed students admitted: 978

2020:
Number of qualified applicants offered a place on waiting list: 8816
Number accepting a place on the waiting list:
Number of wait-listed students admitted: 4032

2019:
Number of qualified applicants offered a place on waiting list: 4976
Number accepting a place on the waiting list
Number of wait-listed students admitted: 67

Waitlist admits usually start after the May 1 SIR deadline, but if spots open up early, SLO will start pulling from the waitlist.

More information: Waitlist | Cal Poly

1 Like

2022 appears to be mirroring our experience in 2021, and I completely agree it feels very cruel and frankly disappointing that CP handles it this way. They dropped the majority of acceptances about 3/10/21. When admissions was contacted to ask Wendylop’s question, the response was “more acceptances could be coming”. Well they really didn’t, or at least it seemed that an extremely small number of additional acceptances came in during the month. About a week or so after the one bolus of acceptances, then came waitlists and about a week or so later then all the rejections. My daughter was waitlisted for animal science and never got in. I don’t mean to be negative or dash hopes of those still waiting on an acceptance but honestly I wish we would have known that this would be the process so we could better adjust expectations instead of anxiously waiting all month and then into summer on the waitilist hoping for an acceptance that had a a very low probability of ever happening. To rub salt in the wound, her sister is currently a junior at Cal Poly, her dad and two aunts attended CP and her grandpa was a lecturer, all noted on her application. Clearly being a legacy did not have an impact. Cal Poly was her dream school since she was little so this was a tough pill to swallow. She was accepted to UC Davis and UC Berkeley, go figure
She chose Cal.

12 Likes

How was legacy noted on the Cal State app - there are no questions that ask this and there is no space for additional information so I am confused. Legacy, in any event, plays no part in the CSU system.

6 Likes

My mistake, you’re correct, there is no spot on the application to indicate legacy. At the time she accepted her spot on the waitlist, we were advised by her college counselor that she should write a nice letter to both CP admissions and the academic department indicating her strong desire to be accepted by CP, and listing additional extra-curricular activities she had been involved in since her application was submitted (e.g. working part-time as a vet tech and an internship in a vet emergency clinic). The counselor also advised to add into the letter about her CP legacy. She received a very nice response from both departments reiterating she was under consideration, but my impression is there were very few animal science majors who declined their acceptance. It’s also unclear how they rank their waitlist and if writing a letter makes any difference.

1 Like

I’m surprised that she didn’t accept Davis if she wants to be a vet.

4 Likes

SDSU seems to be doing the same thing this year. Trickling acceptances out here and there. Then a day with heavy waitlists and rejections. I am watching kids on various platforms reaching for any little bit of hope. I have a 2020 grad and in no way was it like this that year.

2 Likes

We were very surprised too, but she did not feel a connection to Davis and was very headstrong in her decision. It didn’t help that there was no ability to tour any of the animal science facilities, meet any professors, students, or see labs or classrooms. Cal has a pre-vet track in the college of natural resources that she is on and though it’s not the traditional path that one might take at CP or Davis she has found a great research opportunity, they have a very active Prevet club, so all is well and she is happy.

5 Likes

Daughter (International student)got accepted for Architecture. One of her top choices right now.

4 Likes

Congrats !
Btw, did you get this acceptance last friday or did you get it recently (this week) ? Wondering if international students also heard along with others or they are trickling those out later

CalPoly by design is more of a tech school (Cal Polytechnic by name) with a”learn by doing” focus with hands on research and experience in a variety of fields (arch, engineering, ag etc. Polytechnic by definition is “an institution of higher education offering courses in many subjects, especially vocational or technical subjects.” while it does offer these more liberal arts degrees, there are far better schools to go to for a degree in history or literature etc. IMO.

3 Likes

here’s another way to look at it though: while there may be “better” schools to go to for say literature, said high schooler who wants literature degree may not have the grades for that school. Yet may be accepted at CP with a 3.54 gpa. Getting to go to a school that in everyone’s mind “is a great school” and get small class sizes, small tuition bill (in state), hands on learn by doing approach (yes even in liberal arts they find a way to learn by doing) can make CP not only the better school but the best school. And said high schooler who maybe’s grades weren’t stellar in high school may now have a 4.0 and be excelling in all areas due to the learn by doing approach.

4 Likes

It’s too late to edit my earlier post, but for posterity, I am adding this comment noting that I appear to have been mistaken in my thinking that NMF status influenced CP admissions. Please consider comment 2071 to be stricken from the record. :woman_facepalming:

2 Likes