Cal Poly SLO Fall 2022 Admissions - Class of 2026

My D has a similar situation, get waitlist for most of UCs including SLO. She decided to go to CPP for engineering. CPP is good for engineering though is not as good ad SLO. She should learn to get over it

4 Likes

Have you visited CPP? We are going on April 5th. Keeping my fingers crossed that he likes the location (our biggest debate). He has several friends at OSU and many at SLO but non at CPP.

1 Like

You never know, one of those WL could turn in to an acceptance. My niece is at UCLA after getting off of the WL. You just never know. Chin up and go check out CPP, I’ve heard awesome things about that school. I totally understand your feelings and sympathize with you, mama…A quick side note…I graduated from Chico …a very long time ago. My husband graduated from Davis. We applied for the same job when we graduated. I got the job.

14 Likes

Yes, my son is currently freshman at CPP . He likes it, I recalled his saying to apply for SLO transfer last year, but he rescinds it. He ables to secure an IT intern this summer, stay positive.

4 Likes

Mimi, our son is on a very similar path: waitlisted RPI, UC SD/SB in at CPP, waiting to hear from SLO and Purdue. He applied for CE.
We visited CPP this week and really liked it!

2 Likes

D mainly eats at the food trucks on campus. I know she rotates between the Mexican, Indian and BBQ trucks. She says they’re very good, but expensive. She also really likes Shake Smart, which I’ve had too. That’s good too.

Totally agree! I feel like my son needs to start evaluating his choices, but he insists on waiting until all decisions are in.

My boys like the Indian one. But, yes, $$.

Are the foods trucks part of the meal plan, or are they separate?

part of meal plan. But they sound better than they are.

Yes, but again it’s expensive. I think they just raised their prices, just like everyone else is doing nowadays. :grinning:

What I’ll tell you is that my D is a picky eater. I’m picky too, but in a different way. Anyway, she likes the food trucks. She’ll often FaceTime me at lunch and show me her food order. The Indian truck gives her naan, daal, rice and chicken tikka, which she does like the most. She likes the quesadillas from the Mexican truck and the burgers and BBQ from the BBQ truck.

And she loves Shake Smart, which if you don’t know, makes healthy (chia seeds, protein, etc.) fruit bowls, like a Vitality Bowl or similar.

2 Likes

Thanks very much!!

One D who was waitlisted (Biomedical Engineering) and the second daughter hasn’t heard anything (Architecture). She’s already looking at other options. Spending the weekend in Eugene checking out U of Oregon.

Got into some good schools - Penn St, Michigan State, U of Arizona, OSU and U of Oregon. Waitlisted at SDSU.

Disappointed that it’s so hard to get into a school in your home state.

8 Likes

Agree 100%. My daughter is in the same boat. Got into University of Oregon, University of Washington, SDSU, a few other OOS schools and waitlisted at UCSB and have not heard from Cal Poly her #1 choice (my alma mater). It would be amazing if CA universities would prioritize admissions to their in state applicants. Good luck to your daughter. She got into some amazing schools and UofO is phenomenal as well. It’s a great college town with huge school spirit.

12 Likes

Do they have a salad bar in the cafeteria? Or is everything packaged to go like this? Also, are there opportunities in the dorms to use a shared kitchen space? Could this be a reasonable supplement to the meal plan options for freshman?

There is no cafeteria. It is all food court style in to go containers. You pay by the item. There is seating but many students just take it to go. There is shared kitchen space in the dorms and some kids cook things here and there. But, in my opinion, it works best to just supplement with easy things fixed in the room or with use of the kitchen microwave . Every room comes with a mini fridge. I use Instacart and send yogurt, fruit, granola, cheese, crackers, fancy organic ramen bowls, hard boiled eggs, oatmeal cups, baby carrots, cherry tomatoes, organic frozen breakfast burritos, etc. If I visit, I bring a couple of meals that can fit in the tiny mini fridge freezer. It has worked out. You can see all the campus options here below. Note: the names of the places and the descriptions are much better than what is actually served. Good branding/marketing.
https://www.calpolydining.com/restaurants/

5 Likes

So is it better to get a cheaper meal plan and have them supplement with instacart and eating off campus? I was looking at most expensive meal plan for my son but if food is not that great I can see him wanting to go off campus more often. He’s not super picky but does appreciate a good meal!

Also, any tips on dorm essentials? My older son is at CSUF and living at home so this will be the first we send off to school.

1 Like

Yes, I was advised to get the cheapest plan and then to supplement. It has worked out well. You can always add money to the plan if needed but you can not get a refund at the end of the year if it is not used. It can be rolled over to the next year only if you buy a second year plan.

2 Likes

We got the cheapest dining plan as well. I had to add money in the 1st Quarter and the 2nd Quarter was exactly spot on. The students will eat off campus, but it’s tough to do during the day mid-week, when they have classes.

This past Fall Semester, CP did open up a Scout Coffee on campus, right next to Yakitutu, so they have pastry-type breakfast stuff (morning buns, muffins, etc.) and very good coffee, if that suits your kid’s fancy. Also, part of the dining plan.

When I’m in town, D and I go to Firestone Grill and Raku Ramen, those are our go-to quick bite places, but there are plenty of other good restaurants in town.

2 Likes

We go to SLO donuts. :yum: :doughnut:

2 Likes