Cal Poly SLO Fall 2022 Admissions - Class of 2026

Oh nice. Good luck to her!

Has anyone been rejected?

Not yetā€¦

Interesting. The psychology of all of this would be fascinating to study. My daughter hasnā€™t heard back yet but weā€™re all treating it like a rejection, so even if an acceptance came through at this point, Iā€™d be surprised if she would even consider it. Sheā€™s pretty deep into her decision-making process with two other schools. Iā€™m super curious to know the rationale behind processing admissions the way they do. My husband and I both went to Cal Poly in the 90s and still have some connections with people there. One of the friends we spoke to told us that the admissions department is super proprietary about their process and other employees are pretty much forbidden from sharing information. He even said to us in a joking manner, ā€œSoā€¦this conversation never happened!ā€

11 Likes

scad is great for fashion design.

SLO has 85%(at a minimum) of CA students, and charges them about 40% of the tuition that OOS students pay. How can you have the impression that they donā€™t prioritize CA residents in admissions?

3 Likes

There is nothing to disrespect with UC Riverside, CPP or CSUF. In fact, I know someone who chose UCR over a MUCH higher ranking school. I get it that you/she are disappointed, but those are great options that many people would be grateful to have.

4 Likes

Lots of waitlists this year from what Iā€™ve heard. Also think there will be movement off the wait list to acceptance!

1 Like

So curious what their rational is but we will never know. I think it is a very cruel process!!

2 Likes

I believe the rationale for waiting is to avoid the flood of ā€œthis is why son/daughter deserves to attendā€ emails. If you get a rejection on April 1st and a response takes 3 weeks (very unlikely for SLO to overturn a rejection), you really have to make alternative plans. I have no real insight but just my hunch.

2 Likes

My daughter still hasnā€™t heard back. She applied to computer engineering with 4.0 unweighted and 4.6 weighted with the most difficult classes offered at a California public school. Any insight what she can expect this Friday, April 1?

1 Like

As a strong CS school, they could let a couple of their students implement the MCA code. Everybody can have a automated admission decision in a couple of hours.

I am looking at you, Iowa State and your RAI(Regent Academic Index). Great Job automating the process and sparing everybody this needless misery.

6 Likes

Same here, you are not alone :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I was just saying the same thing to my son. This process was so bad that at this point Iā€™m not even excited anymore about this school for him. They did a very poor job with stringing everyone along in this drawn out way. Total turn off

17 Likes

My other son is a sophomore at SLO and has had great professors, met good friends and loves the area but he said everyone complains about the administration and I guess this is another example of that

3 Likes

This is a terrible notification system but I think the students complain about the administration at most schools.

3 Likes

Irina, your daughter sounds impressive! Please know that Cal Poly turned down 12K+ applicants with a 4.0 or higher last year. There is no way of telling you why they pick some but not others. Your daughter will do well even if she is not accepted to Cal Poly SLO.

Cal Poly turns away 12k-plus applicants with GPAs of 4.0 or higher (ksby.com)

3 Likes

Yep students complain about administration. They joke about the presidentā€™s extremely long winded emails etc. But parents seem pretty happy about the way things are run (and run at an affordable price). The thing about CP is thereā€™s not a lot of hand-holding. Students need to be self-driven. Classes are pretty small so they do get a lot of attention by professors but if they need help outside of the classroom they need to be able to take the initiative to figure out who to go to for that. And communication between the school and parents is virtually non-existent.

1 Like

There is free academic support available at SLO:

And thereā€™s always office hours.

1 Like

I totally agree with that and I do appreciate that. My son is completely independent and taking care of everything on his own which I think prepares them well for the real world!