Cal Poly SLO Fall 2022 Admissions - Class of 2026

I think SLO likes it that way! (That when you hear “Cal Poly” you think SLO… It’s like… why is UC Berkeley “Cal”?!)

3 Likes

Northern California = Cal Poly SLO (this may change due to Humboldt)
Southern California = Cal Poly Pomona

I know since I lived in Southern California for many years and attended CPP.
Now that I have moved to Northern California, if I talk about Cal Poly I always have to say Pomona since everyone thinks I am talking about SLO.

2 Likes

First land-grant university in California.
First UC campus.
Originally just called University of California.

Go Bears!

7 Likes

I came back here to edit my post as such!

UCB = first UC which is why it’s known as simply Cal

Cal Poly SLO = first Cal Poly, which is why it’s known as just Cal Poly

You learn something new every day!

8 Likes

I agree with Gumbymom as I think it depends on where you are from. I live in southern CA and we refer to it as “SLO” and not as “Cal Poly.”

4 Likes

One more piece of trivia just to ease the tension.

UC Davis was originally the University Farm , -the research and science-based instruction extension of UC Berkeley. That is why they have professors which teach at both campuses and offer a shuttle for staff and students between campuses. .

11 Likes

Cal Poly SLOWWW! :weary:

29 Likes

So all decisions will still be a few more weeks?? Yikes!!:flushed:

1 Like

If true, this is unfortunate being that their admitted student days would be the following week! Doesn’t allow for great planning, especially for kids who don’t have spring break that week.

5 Likes

That’s exactly what I’m worried about. My son has been accepted at Humboldt and they’re preview day is the same day.

2 Likes

I agree. It’s our spring break (OOS Seattle) and we’ve been waiting to plan this leg of the trip. We have 2 other schools we are looking at due to acceptance. Maybe they will have another admitted student day? Considering the timing?

2 Likes

I don’t think that’s what she said… I didn’t understand it that way, anyway. I also live in So Cal and we say Cal Poly to mean SLO. But what’s in a name! I just want to hear…

2 Likes

Actually @lkg4answers got it right. If you say Cal poly in Southern California is Pomona and in Northern California it is SLO.

5 Likes

Not around here (Northern LA County). “She’s going to Cal Poly.” Automatically people think San Luis Obispo.

13 Likes

Agreed, it’s either Cal Poly, or it’s Cal Poly Pomona.

12 Likes

I was starting to question myself, so thank you, @Chriseemac!
@Gumbymom and @lkg4answers, I am not trying to be adversarial… just sharing that’s how we say it in our neck of the woods.

2 Likes

My friend visited Cal Poly SLO yesterday and was told notifications would start coming next week.

11 Likes

Why do they have to wait for the music & art departments to finish ? How are they connected with engineering school and such ? Is that always the case ?

I feel bad for OOS families who have to buy airline tickets at the last minutes.

6 Likes

That is rough at least we are only 4.45 hours away we are not looking at anything till we know if he gets in.

1 Like

I think they expect you would have visited the school before applying? My D22 also applied to many schools we did not visit, but I guess I figured that’s on us. If we can’t make it to a school on their preview day, we’ll visit on any day we can make it. There isn’t much else we can do. It’s kind of a first world problem.

3 Likes