Cal Poly SLO Fall 2022 Admissions - Class of 2026

My son appreciated his English professors very much. Additionally, I have a degree in English and have been a high school teacher for 25+ years. I can objectively state that he had a very good undergraduate education if he wanted to go into teaching, and is more than well enough prepared for the Master’s work he is doing now.

We live in the Sacramento area, so I can also state that UC Davis has a highly regarded English program that has produced many fine teachers. With a little bit of advocacy by the student, both schools can also offer good preparation for law school if that is an avenue of interest.

Really, your daughter has two great options. Congratulations to her for all the hard work that went into achieving that.

I am sadly starting to lose hope. I will say this process is so stressful and discouraging. I am thankful my DD has some good options so I am trying to not be negative but I’m not going to lie, it’s hard ;).

2 Likes

@dh2 - It’s definitely hard, and this is an odd year, with COVID gap-year kids in the mix, the test-optional/test-blind shift, and many applicants applying to outrageous numbers of schools. I suspect we may see more waitlist activity at some schools this year than is typical (due to yields being different than usual algorithms predict), but that’s just my guess. The ol’ crystal ball is not so reliable these days.
Try to keep the faith and trust that wherever your student lands will be the right spot for her, but I say that with lots of sympathy. It’s awful seeing them be crushed by decisions that seem so arbitrary, but they are generally more resilient than we think at the outset.
(All that said, I do think SLO’s slow-drip approach is particularly tough - knowing you have been waitlisted or rejected seems better to me than waiting with a sense of impending doom)

10 Likes

I have no prior experience with SLO, but it does seem like a long shot to get accepted at this point. I base that strictly on following this message board over past week or two and hearing about past years. I don’t put much stock in commentary from the admissions office. For all you know, it could be a student answering the phone effectively reading from a script.

4 Likes

my daughter was admitted but she keeps saying she feels so bad for those who haven’t heard yet - she doesn’t understand why they would roll out admissions in this way. there doesn’t seem to be any rhyme or reason - we know students in the same state with same majors and only a few were notified, so the others are waiting for WL or Denied. sorry you are dealing with this.

6 Likes

I am sorry if this has been asked before, but do you know about how long Cal Poly takes for financial aid awards to be available in the portal? I was shocked that UC Riverside and Merced had them in the portal in less than a week. Is Cal Poly SLO as quick?

I much prefer how the UCs do it, too- everyone knows where they stand at one time. SDSU seems to be trickling out the admittances, too, fwiw.

4 Likes

Not all of the UCs admit at once.

2 Likes

Has anyone received an admission decision for the industrial technology and packaging major for Cal Poly SLO? Thank you

Yes, my daughter was admitted to the ITP program last Friday.
Correction - she heard last Thursday.

2 Likes

Hi, does someone know about any international student that has been admitted?

1 Like

I hadn’t noticed that on the A2C Reddit sub. In 2017 when my older son applied, the UCs named a day and the results came out.

1 Like

My son applied to industrial engineering and has not heard anything yet. His buddies who applied for mechanical and CS have not heard yet either.

1 Like

With so many posts I couldn’t see confirmation to this question… have some student already received rejections or wait list decisions for SLO?

1 Like

Just acceptances have come out.

3 Likes

Several International students have been admitted as Early as December/January.

1 Like

Anyone up for writing a change.org petition to fix how cal state schools roll out decisions? Perhaps we can save future California students the painful anticipation we endure. It really does cost undue emotional stress. I can’t figure out why they make it so darn drawn out, mysterious and complicated.

Like the Dixie Chicks sing, “if you are gonna say goodbye, don’t take all day and night, let it rip, let it fly…”

Instead we are stuck with Tom Petty and “the waiting is the hardest part…”

Hang in there everyone, it (sadly) may get worse before it gets better. I hated it the last time I suffered through it and I hate it again now.

9 Likes

Thank you for this information. It is helpful to know this.

1 Like

You should have a high school student lead it so s/he can put it down as EC leadership :rofl:

6 Likes

Thanks for the info and congrats to your daughter! My daughter has mentioned wanting to volunteer at the library too.

1 Like