Cal Poly SLO Fall 2023 Admissions - Class of 2027

Did your son apply to Cal Poly SLO?

1 Like

Is your Cornell decision ED or EA? Cornell RD is not out yet. It comes out on Ivy day.

i forgot to add Algebra 1 and Geometry i took in 7th and 8th grade. However, I have 5 years of Math because of MATH1C (Multivariable Calculus) i attended at CC.

2 Likes

Do you know if it’s the same for foreign language? For example, say the student tested into Spanish 3 as a freshman, either because of elementary school Spanish immersion or heritage language skills. But they didn’t take Spanish classes in middle school.

That is a high priority almost everywhere now. Nothing a kid can do about that. You are born into that status.

Also two years of art. Lots of stem majors give up art to get more stem. My son who was accepted had 5 years of math but not English . He did meet with an admissions gal who told him he had max points already so the 5th year of English would not make a difference😊 he asked because he was going to take English online if necessary .

2 Likes

The CSU’s have a supplemental factor chart with information for each CSU. Also the common dataset will show what is considered Very Important, Important for their application review.

Section C7 https://content-calpoly-edu.s3.amazonaws.com/ir/1/images/CDS_2022-2023%20FINAL_3.pdf

1 Like

Great information! Thanks!

2 Likes

I wonder if the importance of the recommended five years of Math (and English) depends upon your proposed major? My daughter applied as an applicant to Art & Design major. She has taken only 3 years of math and 4 years of English (Honors and AP) but has taken 5 years of Art (3 APs). She did advance to the portfolio phase, but not sure if the 3 years of math would hurt her application in any way or if she is now being judged solely on her portfolio submission?

1 Like

What is the point of choosing a major in something you won’t do for a career? I don’t understand your reasoning. Just because it’s easy to get into?

No. You misunderstood my post. That is the major she is most interested in. It just so happens to be easier to get into and I knew the numbers well enough to anticipate she was likely going to be admitted. However because she doesn’t truly, truly know what she wants to do, she’s most likely to matriculate at a UC since she can explore a little further before picking a final major. She’s applied undeclared to all of those (and so far admitted to two). But for SLO you must declare a major, and that is her best guess.

3 Likes

Personally, I think it depends. If you are majoring in business, computer science, aerospace or any specialized major, it’s usually because you want to have a career in that area. However, many of liberal arts schools (including the Ivy’s) offer and encourage majors that are not necessarily indicative of what career the students will later have. For example, all the lawyers I know (I have 3 in the family) had liberal arts degrees in English, History and Social Science at Dartmouth (2) and Berkeley(1). I majored in Social Science, focusing on International Politics at Berkeley and then got my MBA at UCLA. My profession has been in Brand Management. When I was at Berkeley, many of the Management Consulting Firms like Boston Consulting and McKinsey were actively recruiting the liberal arts majors (history, English, etc) and less interested in business majors. So quite often major does not translate to career (though I realize that Cal Poly is more focused on this).

3 Likes

True. My career is not at all related to what I studied (American History & Literature) in college.

Does anyone have any experience with and/or insight on the admitted students day/weekend/experience? It looks like quite a lot! With my S22, his admitted student days were just “days” - basically just the campus tour, some speeches, lunch, etc. no big deal but those were small LACs. Is this going to require more strategy in terms of finding hotel, getting registered for things, etc.? Any advice would be appreciated!

1 Like

I’m not concerned about the years of math though. My daughter took Geometry in 9th grade after taking Algebra I in 8th grade. In Cal Poly’s course requirements, they specifically state the math courses that are required, which includes Algebra I. My daughter took Algebra I in middle school and we are concerned that because we forgot to input the course in the Academic History section of the application, her decision is impacted.

1 Like

Have you joined the cal poly parents Facebook group that has been linked up above yet? It’s super thorough and will answer tons of questions. I would link it here, but I’m not that savvy.

I don’t believe you need to register for anything but I’m told accommodations fill up quickly. The schedule is on the cal poly website and I was able to look it over to see what matters most for my family. We have very specific things we are going for, that might not matter to others as much.

1 Like

My DS2 (Cal Poly grad 2020) did not have 5 years of English or math in high school (but he did end with Calculus his senior year). I didn’t notice the “recommendation” of all that math and science until this year, when his sister applied. It’s interesting that UC doesn’t specify the 5 years of both, although they certainly do look at “rigor,” which I think they define a little differently (lots of AP and/or DE but not necessarily math and English per se).

What was your son’s major? If he was admitted in 2016, they likely used the old MCA formula.

I agree with you about the TX schools. My DS3 applied to several schools in TX and was admitted to some of them. The tuition offered was comparable to UC tuition and he had NO merit aid and NO need based aid. (Some “lesser” UTs and A&Ms.) My understanding is that TX found oil in 1900 and never looked back–and funds their universities so well that they don’t need to charge really high OOS tuition for many of their universities.

We just signed up for tours on 4/13 and we will stay for the admitted students days/open house events the following day.

There’s info on the Cal Poly site about them:

Also the Facebook page has info as well.

Good luck!

1 Like