Cal Poly SLO Fall 2023 Admissions - Class of 2027

The GPA ranges listed are the middle 50% so yes there are admits that fall above and below these ranges.

2 Likes

“Thank you for applying to Cal Poly. We have received your application. No determination has been made at this time.”

So aggravating. My daughter has a 4.22 weighted GPA per CSU system and has yet to receive a decision from SLO. Major: Business. OOS. 6 APs. 35 ACT. DECA and Other ECs. Hoping to hear soon.

1 Like

My daughter hasn’t heard anything either. It’s so hard on the kids because they are getting daily updates from their classmates at school of who got in where.
This is my first experience with this process (having a senior); it’s hard on everyone! :persevere:

6 Likes

The CSU GPA is not the GPA that SLO uses. They include 9-11th grades in their GPA calculation instead of the 10-11th grades used by the rest of the CSU’s. ACT also not considered and EC’s are not listed in detail, only EC hours/week.

I’m so glad I’m on my 4th and final high school senior.

3 Likes

I was referring to SLO GPA. She only has 2 Bs in her entire high school career. All As and 5 in AP courses. She did 2 summer internships at bay area startups. Done with Micro, Macro econ, calc and stats APs. Additionally, she did 3 courses with all As at the community college.

1 Like

Also wondering.

1 Like

Sadly, history is not on our side. As many others have noted, acceptances in the first wave (last Friday) and basically rejections/waitlists in the following weeks has been the pattern. However, most applicants are not on CC so they are unaware and still expecting favorable news :frowning: astonishing that SLO drags out this process, perhaps they believe that ignorance is bliss and why not string along students and parents for a few more weeks :man_shrugging:

5 Likes

Or maybe they are doing due diligence to get their results as close to fair as possible.

2 Likes

Till the end of April :flushed: Why they gotta do that??

Your D sure sounds like an incredible candidate for SLO or many many other top schools! I hope acceptances from other schools start flooding her inbox to take her mind off SLO! She will end up in an amazing place even if not SLO (I say this from experience with my son - he had similar stats but not the great work experience your D has - he didn’t get SLO but ended up at UC Irvine for Business and is thriving). I am ‘stalking’ this page as my daughter will be applying to SLO next year and this helps temper our expectations (as we had similar experiences with the ‘slow roll’ of acceptances/waitlist/rejections from SLO two years ago). I wish your daughter the best!

2 Likes

This is actually what happened to my daughter with SJSU. Since she was applying CS, taking so many classes diluted her GPA to the point she would not have been accepted. She took 4 semesters of Math outside of school to get ahead (all of which she got As in). If she did not take these classes, she would have met the CS numbers. Since we knew this, she did not consider the school or apply, but it’s kind of crazy!

1 Like

It is pretty crazy. So far, my son has gotten into UC Davis (aerospace), UMD (aerospace), Auburn (aerospace with scholarship), Michigan State (physics with scholarship), Cal Poly Pomona (aerospace), but he really has his heart set on SLO, and we are still waiting on a decision. His Cal Poly GPA was calculated as 4.23, so we thought he had a good chance, but without context of extracurriculars, PIQs, the AP’s available (or not available) at his school, I feel like the CSUs are missing a lot of context, so the decisions seem pretty random. So frustrating!

3 Likes

We actually didn’t really consider Cal Poly either because of the lack of info the student gets to provide in the application. Going with what they look at, her stats are similar to others both accepted and unheard. 3.95/4.22/4.5 GPA 15-20 hours worked a week and high number of hours of ECs per week. With the old formula, she would have maxed out the bonus points in Math, Science, and Language. Also National Merit Finalist. But she’s applied CS. Since we saw the unpredictable results last year, we didn’t even visit Cal Poly. If she happens to get in (unlikely at this point), I have a month to make the sell to her. I LOOOOOOVE the school. My sister went there and of the four in my family (rest went to different UCs), I loved her school the most. Luckily she has other great options and we never counted on this, but it is a little sad that she couldn’t.

2 Likes

My daughter feels her ECs, Awards, and Essays are moving the needle for her at some other schools and for scholarships, so it is too bad she didn’t get to present those here. Congratulations to your son on his acceptances. Such great schools! My daughter got into UMD CS and is considering it. She got a likely letter from one of her top top choices, but until it’s official she isn’t celebrating that. :joy:

2 Likes

Good luck!

1 Like

Just so you know it’s a very noisy process. My kid has similar stats and got into Cal Poly but not into Davis. I think geographic diversity plays an important role (we are near Davis and lots of kids apply there). So don’t take it personally, just understand the process is not supposed to be fair.

5 Likes

Anybody have there senior accepted to Ag Communications?

2 Likes

So I just called the SLO admissions office today. They said that they were not done with all of the applications yet. They cannot comment on anything until April 1, and up until then, students will be notified on a rolling basis. → Glimmer of hope!

8 Likes

In my post above where I stated that I spoke to someone in the admissions office yesterday, I erroneously wrote that people would hear back between now and the end of April. I meant to write the end of March.

3 Likes