Cal Poly SLO Fall 2023 Admissions - Class of 2027

No decision yet. But got into UCSB Honors School of Engineering for CS so it doesn’t even really matter anymore. I think the window has passed since there are other good options. Just so weird but that’s the uncertainty of college admissions.

7 Likes

My high school senior is still waiting on a decision in the Portal. He spent last year as a junior studying abroad at a European public high school.

I feel like he’s at a disadvantage because he doesn’t have junior year classes / grades to submit to the Cal Poly calculation and obviously there is no place on application to explain the missing year.

Has anyone seen or know of an internationally educated applicant that has been accepted as of yet? We are hoping that they are still reviewing his application.

Thank you!

2 Likes

Congratulations !
Prefer UC Berkeley CS over CP makes sense.
However, it’s worth waiting for Cal Poly CS in comparison to UCSB in many ways.

1 Like

Is there an advantage of the honors program for comp engineering major?
Will honor students be separated from rest of the engineering students if they are in new dorms?

I heard at my school today that some people have been getting rejections today? Is that true?

The way I understand it is you don’t have to live with people in your learning community so some majors may live with other majors and if you’re in honors you can have a non honors roommates . Honors accepts about 100 and get about 600 applying . Honors dorms are the newer dorms so that’s a plus but also an honors student may choose to live in a different dorm and that’s ok

1 Like

My friend got in for CS while I haven’t gotten in for CE yet. Our grades are kinda similar but I’ve heard about a lot more kids getting in for CS than CE. is CE just more impacted?

CS has around a 9% admit rate estimate while CE is around 20% admit rate estimate. Grades may be similar but SLO admissions is more than grades. You cannot compare unless you both had the exact same application.

1 Like

Because Cal Poly doesn’t accept essays, I believe there’s a component of “luck of the draw” with acceptances. Perhaps they use an algorithm that accounts for the distribution of geographic location, grades, etc. and then out of all the applicants that qualify for a certain breakpoint by major, it may be a random draw. You’ll find that many people with lower GPAs and less rigorous class schedules will get in from the same high school even pursuing the same major. My daughter got into Stanford computer science a few years back but got denied at Cal Poly. There’s also the concept of yield protect, but even so, you’ll see applicants with very similar gpas and comparable activities…some get in and some don’t.

12 Likes

@Gumbymom
You know anything about the stats major at cal poly SLO. I have a 4.1 GPA, 1440 SAT, low AP course load, and decent extra curricular hours. I haven’t heard back and am really stressed that it means I’m waitlisted or rejected. Dream school. Thanks!

SLO is test blind so your SAT will not be considered. For Statistics, they are projecting 486 applicants for 62 spots. Since the GPA admit data and yield are not known, it is difficult to determine where you stand within the applicant pool.

For the College of Mathematics and Sciences the middle 50% Admitted GPA was an SLO GPA of GPA 4.14 – 4.25.

You and many others are still waiting for a decision so all you can do is wait.

1 Like

Honors housing is optional but is one of several learning communities located in the new dorms. Students will get plenty of interaction with other CS majors in classes and clubs, and they can have non-honors roommates if they want. The honors housing community is quieter than most, because they have 24 hr quiet hours, but sometimes it’s nice to be able to have a quiet place to chill and study.

@Gumbymom
Do you know what the projected applied and admits is for graphic communications? Asking for a friend

Graphic Communications: 434 projected applicants for 75 spots.

2 Likes

I personally know 2 students who got accepted for Graphic Communication this cycle. One is a 4.0uw. The other is a 3.6uw, First Gen with lots of work hours (not related to major). Sorry, don’t know CSU gpas offhand, but both had the max 8 Honors/APs without a huge number past that. 5 years Math, 4 years English.

If I haven’t heard back from SLO yet, is it a guaranteed rejection? All of my friends who have heard back so far have been accepted so I’m scared they’re saving the rejections for last.

Based on their historical timelines, they do waitlists next and then denials last.

2 Likes

EDIT…found answer to my question.

1 Like

From this link: https://content-calpoly-edu.s3.amazonaws.com/ir/1/images/Enrollment%20Projections_2023-24.pdf

As stated above the unknowns are how many students are admitted into the major since more are admitted than enroll and the stats for the applicant pool.

Applicants FTF for Animal Science- 1469
Spots Target FTF-200

2 Likes

Do you think this year will be different since it seems like they missed a wave on the 17th.