Cal Poly SLO Fall 2023 Admissions - Class of 2027

Twin mom here - almost identical applications, grades, APs, classes, ECs, etc. Both applied for ME.

So far, one son was accepted for mechanical engineering and the other one is still waiting for a decision from SLO.

3 Likes

Still waiting for any info too for D23. Political Science.
My only hope for the long wait this year is that they might actually be waiting for students to decline so that they can add some more acceptances!

Accepted at SDSU, CSULB, and UCSB.
Waitlisted at UCLA, UCD, UCSD
Waiting on SLO and Berkeley
No rejections yet.

Top Choices: UCLA, UCSB, SLO, SDSU
So she is definitely heavily leaning toward UCSB!

5 Likes

At least we can rest assured that our kids will go to college where they are meant to be, and that they are all so amazing for everything they have accomplished! Missing a whole year of in-person high school, here in Cali terrible winter storms and damage, and all manner of other setbacks. So much to be grateful for! And to practice patience with this process…sort of…lol

9 Likes

Depends on what your daughter wants to study, but Chico is great. My daughter pulled out of her Cal Poly SLO application after she realized the degree wasn’t quite right and wouldn’t offer her the same level of education as what was available at Chico and the whole campus at SLO is impacted. Chico isn’t impacted.

4 Likes

Great perspective (and reminder). :+1:t3:

We live in the Bay Area (25 mins from Cal) and kids attend a highly competitive public HS. My eldest chose Davis over Cal because the thought of continuing the ultra-competitive environment experienced in HS was unappealing–also not a fan of all the challenges living in Berkeley comes with (hard to get housing, not the safest, huge classes).

Oldest loves Davis–safe, cute easy to manage college town in the middle of everywhere and much smaller class sizes (largest first year was 60-ish students) with incredibly smart kids but nowhere near the competitive nature of the more well known UC’s (I’m a UCLA grad). He is thriving socially and academically at UCD!

11 Likes

This is good to hear as I don’t think we can make the admitted student events. It’s impossible to be in all parts of this state at one time lol.

2 Likes

It does not go to everyone. And then they accept about 1 out of 7 who apply.

Is CalPoly AO open next week? I believe the kids are on spring break next week so if the AO is closed and they send nothing this week everything will be done April 1st ? So odd. I feel for all the kids and parents waiting to hear. This is a crazy year!

Yes, quarter ended today for D21, but finals go through tomorrow, most are done today from what I understand, at least in CAFES.

1 Like

My son has a final tomorrow at CP SLO so campus is definitely open through tomorrow.

1 Like

Yes I meant if they don’t send any notices this week at all that would be strange .

1 Like

They said admission decision which means its not specifically acceptances and most likely denials because only acceptances have been posted so far :smiling_face_with_tear:

2 Likes

Chico CS Dept is amazing!:smiley_cat:

2 Likes

This is encouraging to hear that UCD has a great learning environment. My S got into UCD and SDSU for Aerospace - waitlisted at UCSD - no at UCLA and UCI. Waiting for UCB and SLO. So far he is leaning toward SDSU, but I think the smaller culture at UCD would serve him better.

My daughter got excited to be admitted early to SDSU. I think some of it is because my other daughter didn’t get in when she applied years ago lol. Then when she got the Honors acceptance she was more excited about it. It wasn’t even on the radar earlier on. The Honors college sounds good because they get the better dorm, and smaller classes, advising etc. Definitely good perks to going there. She also was accepted as undeclared. SLO would be a declared major and very hard to change. Originally she decided not to submit a portfolio to SLO because she already got in at SDSU, but after they came back and are giving her another chance to submit, we are totally unsure as what to do if she gets in. The two cities are totally different, and SLO better fits her, but the major is probably going to be the difference. Everyone I’ve talked to loves both schools, so I don’t think they can make a bad choice. SLO is slower paced but rated higher. SDSU has good sports teams and school spirit. Does SLO have an Honors college? Is your daughter in a major she is happy with? She may like a big city over a slower paced one or vice versa. Good luck to you and your daughter. I know it is so stressful trying to figure out what to do.

2 Likes

Has your daughter visited both campuses? They are different, but both have that California campus feel and are great schools. It will definitely be about fit (class size, culture, etc.) and where she would feel most comfortable. What would her major be at Cal Poly and what type of portfolio will she be submitting? It’s interesting that they are asking her to submit a portfolio this late in the game, they must like her application!

2 Likes

@CollegeMomCL2024 seems odd to have that request so late since the kids who submitted portfolios are hoping to hear tomorrow about the results. I would take it as a huge compliment to your daughter that her application looked so strong even without the portfolio that they still want to see if even weeks past the deadline!

2 Likes

Any idea if the “projected applicants” are those invited to submit portfolios (Art & Design projects 887 for 55 spots)? Or would this number be the first round? If so, I wonder how many out of the 800+ applicants are invited to submit? I’m guessing the number would still be pretty high given the calibre of students applying overall. But sadly, that would make for a fairly low acceptance rate : (

both are great options, however sdsu’s honors college is a little bit more of a drag than the other options. There’s required minors, extra classes, required study abroad, and more. One of the only plus’s I’ve heard of are that you get into the honors dorms rather than the other dorms. I recommend: Slo if you want to prioritize education, live somewhere pretty, and have more of lax lifestyle, go to slo. If u want more college life, beach city but still good education, go sdsu.

1 Like