Can somebody rank the departments in Engineering?

I was wondering which engineerings would be the top, middle, low tiers
I have a 2120(1450) SAT 800in Math2, 720 Chem, and was thinking what majors I should choose, based on my score
It would be great if anyone can roughly rank them in order(the difficulty to get in)
I really want to get in anything from PetE ,CS, Chem to Biomed,

These were the departments in TAMU.
Petroleum
Material Science
Mechanical
Nuclear
Electrical
Industrial Distribution
Industrial
Chemical
Civil
Computer Science
Biomedical
Aerospace
Bio,Agricultural

Bio Agriculture or Mechanical, you know…since TAMU has the words agriculture and mechanical in it; i’m sure that’s what they’re best at :D/

TAMU has changed is admissions policy for engineering. You now apply for general engineering with a preference in a specific discipline. You are accepted into general engineering then have to apply to your choice later. So, let’s say you apply for EE and are accepted - you will be shown as general engineering with a preference for EE. You can later apply for anything though - you are not limited to EE.

PetE is ranked #1 in the US and is competitive. I know BioMed Eng. is very competitive. Not sure on any others, but I suspect all engineering majors are very difficult to get accepted into. Your SAT is good, and assuming your class rank is high, then you will have a great shot at any engineering major.

@Barfly‌ Wow, I thought it was UT for rank 1 in PetE,Do you know anything about CS? I keep hearing that A&M has a very highly ranked CS

@Messipass To piggy back on Barfly, your GPA/test scores/etc. will only get you in the door to general engineering. Admission to your major will depend to how well you do in your first-year classes and how rigorous your schedule was. This is the trend; Purdue and Michigan’s admission policies are the same.

Don’t think your first year will be a cakewalk. Because A&M actively recruits NMFs and its Engineering College is so good, you will be competing with hundreds of students with very high GPAs and test scores. My Aggie freshman son was also accepted to Georgia Tech, Michigan, Texas, and Purdue, but A&M had far and away the best combination of merit scholarships and a top-notch engineering program (which is only getting better.) He ended up doing very well his first semester, but he worked extremely hard to earn those grades.

Here are the US News undergraduate program ratings: (At schools whose highest degree is a doctorate)

11 Aerospace / Aeronautical / Astronautical

3 Biological / Agricultural

16 (Tie) Chemical

11 Civil

19 Computer

16 Electrical / Electronic / Communications

11 Industrial / Manufacturing

14 (Tie)Mechanical

US News doesn’t rank Petroleum Engineering, but either Texas or Texas A&M top most lists. http://www.qualityeducationandjobs.com/top-petroleum-engineering-schools/

A&M Graduate Engineering Programs are even higher ranked and A&M is second only behind MIT in graduate engineering research funding.

@Beaudreau wow, your son was accepted to every school that I am going to apply! Do you mind if I ask for your
sons stat? I don’t know why but, where I’m from(Korea) everybody knows UT and thinks its the best in TX, but as I live here, all my friends go to A&M, and I’m actually convinced that I should go to A&M now, thanks for the great informations!

@Mesipass Well you know how hard it is to get a Dad to brag about his son. :-c His best SAT was a 2320, 2340 super-scored. He had a 3.85 GPA from the second ranked high school in the U.S. He was a National AP Scholar (Passed at least 9 AP classes with a 3 or better and an average of at least 4) as a sophomore (one of 30 in the world). Overall, he passed 15 AP classes, with mostly 5s. He was a National Merit Finalist. In high school he took two post AP calculus classes (Category Theory and Vector Calculus) and a post AP Chemistry class.

Where do you live? Will the Texas schools be in-state or out-of-state for you? You really can’t go wrong at either school. If the prices are roughly equal, it should come down to where you feel most at home. The vibes are quite different, but both have die-hard fans. Out of Purdue, Michigan, and Georgia Tech, we liked Purdue best, but it would have cost us $22,000 per year more. Michigan and Purdue were $30,000 more. After this last winter in the Midwest, he’s pretty happy to have stayed in the sunbelt. (We are in Arizona.)

You Koreans love to set the curve! A Korean-born kid one-year behind my son in high school got a perfect score on the Calculus BC exam - in 9th grade! But we have a lot of first and second generation Indian kids also pushing the curve. I told my son "It’s a big world. If you want to compete better start now!. One of his AP credits was for Mandarin. (Very tough exam!)

Good luck to you wherever you end up!

@Beaudreau‌ wowowow your son is a incredible man! I live in texas plano! We Koreans really do have a insane obsession with academics, my sister went to a foriegn highschool in korea, her class sat average was 2300 and average ap class were 15. She was always my role model, but after moving to US, I keep encountering even better students,like your son^^. I like being motivated. Well, thank you so much again for the great advice! I guess I’ll keep researching for either schools

I saw a post awhile back about CS at Texas vs TAMU. If I remember right, Texas generally had the better computer science program but the program itself was very large and outdated. If I find the post I’ll edit it into this post.

Found it: http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/texas-m-university/1740415-a-m-or-ut-for-computer-science.html#latest

Brief summary:
TAMU is ranked 19th for CS
UT is ranked 9th for CS
UT program is overcrowded and underfunded
TAMU has a great network for employment, the “aggie network”

Side note: One of my friends picked UT over Carnegie Mellon for CS and another picked TAMU over MIT for Biomedical Engineering. She never said why she picked TAMU over MIT.

@BlakeGrhymes She probably had about 40,000 reasons each year. Seriously, we have had several kids from our local Charter school who were interested in MIT, but after visiting lost interest. Caltech has also not fared well. Princeton has also received bad reviews after visits.

OTOH, Stanford has been a very popular choice, along with Dartmouth, Brown, and Duke. Out of 38 graduates last year, we had three to Stanford, three to Brown, two to Duke, two to Cal Berkeley, and one each to Harvard, Amherst, Northwestern, Washington University, and Case Western. About a dozen, including the valedictorian, went to the Barrett Honors College at ASU. The Honors College is named after Craig Barrett, the former Intel CEO, who also is President of the charter’s umbrella organization. Barrett Honors College is pretty special - and a low cost option with in-state tuition and generous merit scholarships.

We (me, my wife, and three sons) have visited 15 or 16 colleges, including Stanford, Cal Berkeley, Caltech, Pomona, Harvey Mudd, Georgia Tech, Michigan, Illinois, Purdue, Rose Hulman, the two Arizona state schools, Texas, and Texas A&M. Texas A&M was one of our very best visits. No one liked Cal Berkeley. Stanford is awesome, and awesomely expensive.

@Messipass At a recent National Scholar’s Day at A&M here are the Fall 2013 (U.S. News and World Report) rankings they handed out.

Top 10 Undergraduate Programs

8 Dwight Look College of Engineering

1 Petroleum Engineering

2 Nuclear Engineering

3 Biological and Agricultural Engineering

7 Aerospace Engineering

8 Industrial and Systems Engineering

8 Civil Engineering

8 Mechanical Engineering

10 Electrical Engineering

U.S. Colleges of Engineering Enrollment Ranking (2013)

Undergraduate

1 Georgia Tech

2 Penn State

3 Texas A&M

4 Purdue

5 Illinois

It’s a very exciting time for TAMU Engineering. There’s 25 by 25. TAMU plans to have the largest engineering school in the U.S. by 2025, more than twice its current size. http://www.theeagle.com/news/local/texas-a-m-crafting-a-bigger-better-engineering-school/article_6bfdda0a-8da6-5172-80bf-77114ec7108e.html

TAMU already offers the largest student-run career fair in the Country: http://www.thebatt.com/news/view.php/846460/Career-fair-breaks-records

TAMU is pouring money into new engineering buildings. http://www.thebatt.com/news/view.php/845320/Texas-aampms-Engineering-overhaul

From the previously linked article: “Around 3,000 freshmen students were admitted into engineering this fall ,said Katherine Banks, Dean of the Dwight Look College of Engineering. While Texas A&M does not release the number of enrolled students until the 20th class day, this fall’s enrollment will mark an increase of several hundred engineering students over fall 2013 if they hold. … The number of national merit scholars in the engineering freshmen class is up 22 percent and the average combined SAT scores are now higher than 1300 — an 11-point rise compared to last year.”

@EventHorizon32‌ A&M sure does have a great engineering program! I think I know which one I want to go ! Thanks for the info

@Beaudreau‌ Omg, Didn’t know that A&M is planning to grow twice in size, So would you say A&M would definitely be a better choice than UT in engineering wise? Considering their future plan and investments? I think getting in to A&M with my scores now isn’t that a big trouble,