Can we not take AP Exams?

<p>This year I’m in AP Economics and AP Statistics and I think I wrote on my app that I was planning on taking both AP exams. However, I’ve decided against taking the AP Stat test as there is no way I’ll get a 3. I’m still gonna take the AP econ test though.</p>

<p>Can the UC’s rescind my application if I don’t take the AP?</p>

<p>No they cant.</p>

<p>Take It. AP scores won't count against you.</p>

<p>I would, but there's no chance I'll get a 3 on the AP Stat test. If I took it I'd most likely end up getting a 1.</p>

<p>well, the only thing you'll be wasting is $83. there's really no consequence in taking the AP test if you're already accepted</p>

<p>You can study your ass for the AP Stats exam and probably get a 3. Nobody from my school ever passed before (due to lack of push by teacher) and I began crash studying 2 weeks before and I pulled off a 5 with persistance and crapload of Cherry Coke; I would imagine a 3 is not out of the question for others. And the thing is, if u pass the exam, you will most likely never have to take stats in college.</p>

<p>Don't do it if your major is anything that would require stats. You want to know subjects really well that you will need in order to succeed. For example if you plan to major in economics or most sciences stats are important. You will surely understand it better if you re-take it.</p>

<p>I'm planning on majoring in Business Economics so I'll be taking Stat again in college. Also, the only way I can get Stat out of the way is if I get a 4 on the AP right? From what I remember most UC's only give elective credit for scores of 3 or higher on the AP. </p>

<p>I'd be pushing it to get a 3; there's no chance I'd get a 4.</p>

<p>I would forego taking the AP test. Consider the knowledge you have gained in class to be a nice leg up when you take it in college. Why waste $82?</p>

<p>I passed out of english lit (OMG LOVE) with a 3 on the AP exam at a UC. and i know econ and calculus knock off the same with a 3 as with a 5. Its kind like pass or fail I think. Although some you arent gonna get credit for no matter what u do. IE Chemistry</p>

<p>The only problem with passing out of a class is if there is more at the next level. You might just as well take the easier class that you have at least some familiarity with and be sure you know it well enough to move on to even more difficult work.</p>

<p>Well I am not saying not take the class once u get into college. but if u can nuke it, get a 3 it looks nice and gives you a nice advantage in the actual class. and then no matter what they cannot rescind your app</p>

<p>Always take the AP exam. If you pass, you can get college credits for them. The classes you pass out with AP exams are usually large lower division weeders that have the sole purpose of ravaging your GPA. So, if you can get out of those, then do it.</p>

<p>You should still take it even if you don't think you'll pass or if you have to retake the class anyway (for graduate schools, professional schools, and major specific requirements). It's a relatively good gauge of where you are academically. If you get a below a 3, then it tells you that you should work hard, because you're obviously not performing at the college level. </p>

<p>As a general rule of thumb, if you score a 5, you can consider yourself competent in the subject. If not, then you need to put some work into the subject if you decide to retake it in college. AP courses do not fully reflect the depth and breadth of the same courses offered in college. Those go much deeper and you'll have more competition than you did in high school.</p>

<p>The discussion is really helpful.</p>

<p>However, if we DO decide that it's not worth it to study and take a test, I just wanted to confirm that we're not held accountable to the AP tests we reported on the application right? Dropping a class might result in rescinded admission but not taking an AP test won't?</p>

<p>AP tests are not required nor are they used in the application process. They are used soley to grant credit in college. The one caveat is that in some cases if you pass the AP with a grade of 3 you will not be allowed to re-take the class in college for credit. This was announced at UCD within my daughters major for calculus. The parents were told that if the student had taken the AP for calculus (and scored 3 or more) they could not re-take the class for credit. My daughter wanted to re-take the class because it is important for her major and she did not feel prepared to go on to higher level course work. We were relieved that she had not taken the AP exam. Yes the class was much harder (a weeder) but she had adequate preparation from her hs course and did well. She also learned a lot and was glad for the re-take. In other words THINK this one through based on your major.</p>

<p>Collegemom16, does that mean that UCs will automatically grant AP credit for classes? Ouch, I don't like the idea of not retaking biology in college, I should have known about this policy earlier =(</p>

<p>It's different among the UCs. Each UC has an AP credit policy page that you can check online to see what scores grant what credits. For example, at UCLA, earning a passing score on the AP Bio test only gives you elective credits and doesn't actually pass you out of any biology courses.</p>

<p>Oh good, I took AP biology two years ago (got a 5) so it's not exactly the freshest thing in my memory.</p>

<p>Yes, but definitely check each of the UC to see.</p>

<p>xD its ok. If the Engineering Letter turns out to be an official acceptance letter (which I'm hoping it will be), I don't think any other UC will be able to entice me to go to their school other than UCLA. Even if I got into Cal, my parents could force me to click the SIR button and I wouldn't budge ;)</p>