Case Western Reserve Early Decision/Action for Fall 2022 Admission

Congratulations! My D is a sophomore at Pitt and absolutely loves it. case is one of my S tops choices - He didn’t apply to Pitt because it’s ‘his sisters’ school - lol.

2 Likes

After getting accepted to five MechE programs and attending admitted student events at Purdue and Case, it looks like my son, J, is headed to Cleveland. The only complication would be if - and it is a huge “if” - he gets accepted by CMU on April 1. In the unlikely event CMU accepts J, I think he would still go to Case because it is a better fit.

14 Likes

If he goes to CWRU in Mech E he will surely run into my daughter - MechE and Theatre starting the fall.

4 Likes

Holy Diametrically Opposed Majors, Batman!

J applied MechE, but he is interested in other STEM fields like BioChem or BioMed. Part of CWRU’s attraction is that students are not locked into a major until late sophomore year, and the school encourages and facilitates double majors and minors.

2 Likes

We have been to Purdue for Me and are heading to Case at the end of the month. What led you to Case over Purdue? My DS (future mechanical engineer) loves the idea that at Case he can study other things too - he also loved econ. But that isn’t enough in his mind to choose it over Purdue. He doesn’t want to be influenced by ranking, but he kind of is. And, money is an issue. We luckily can pay for Purdue. Case, with his merit scholarship, comes in at 10k more, which we’d have to fund through loans, and he doesn’t want loans. Also, at Purdue he’s in honors and interested in the FYE program as while he thinks he wants mechanical engineering, he might want aero or civil. Personally, I loved Case and hope our visit changes his mind. If it doesn’t, my 10th grader, of all the schools we schlepped him to, prefers Case so I have hope.

3 Likes

Very true and the appeal for her is that they actually encouraged those to majors and have it set that she can actually do both. Her hope is to be a Disney- like Imagineer.

1 Like

ginger,

When J and his mom attended the admitted students’ event at Purdue prospective students and parents asked pointed questions about the process of getting one’s desired major out of general engineering (Purdue’s written policy is that if you earn a 3.2 GPA in a required set of courses you are guaranteed your major). Finally, the presenter admitted that even if a student makes the 3.2 GPA they still may not get their desired major due to availability issues, especially for a high-demand major like MechE or AeroE. That was the kiss of death for Purdue in J’s mind. This might not be an issue for students in Purdue’s honors program, as they might get first dibs on classes and majors with limited slots. You might want to ask about that during your visit.

Before the admitted students’ visits at the two schools J’s mom was a bit upset that J would likely attend a top 30 MechE school when he was admitted to the # 8 program. After seeing the two schools and hearing about the risk of J not getting his desired major at Purdue, she is happy with Case.

1 Like

ginger,

Did your son do First Robotics in high school? There is a First Robotics scholarship at Case worth $10K. J applied for it, along with the full tuition scholarship that everyone is chasing. The application deadline may have passed, but if you may want to look into it.

1 Like

No First Robotics in our district, unfortunately. We finally, after I campaigned for years, have one Project Lead the Way class, that he’s currently taking.

He applied for the Treuhaft scholarship, but we haven’t heard. I assume that since he received 31.5k per year merit at Case, but not 40k like some, while he’s near the top of the applicant pool, he’s not at the tippy top so we’re not expecting Treuhaft. I wonder when it’s announced, though. That could make a big difference. We also don’t know how much the NMF $ will be at Case - it shows $1000 - $2000 (at Purdue it’s $500).

Re getting your desired major at Purdue, it was as big concern for me, but my son isn’t worried. We did ask about this a lot when we were there - we were told the average honors engineering gpa is above a 3.4, and that honors students rarely don’t get their first choice. But I hear you …

1 Like

ginger,

Purdue must be very generous with aid to be $10K less expensive than Case after a $31.5K package. Does admission to the honors program bring a big scholarship?

While we did not like the two tiered admission process and the risk of making the grade and still not getting the desired major, what really put us off was how evasive Purdue representatives were about it during phone calls and the admitted students event.

Purdue has not raised tuition in 12 year and has committed to another 2 without an increase. COA is $42,000 for out of state! It’s not actually particularly generous for OOS, though we’ve seen some mention of a $10,000 merit scholarship (DS didn’t get it, though he has one Purdue scholarship application still pending).

As I’ve mentioned before, we were hoping for $27,000 merit at Case (a friend with similar stats, rigor and from our HS got $27,000 last year). When $31,500 came in, we were thrilled, but then we say that COA had risen from $74,000 to $82,000 and so even with a bigger merit scholarship than our friend, our COA was higher.

So right now, we’re looking at about $50,500 at Case vs. $42,000 for Purdue. With NMF, Purdue is $41,500, and Case could be $49,500 or $48,500. We’re getting closer but the difference is not insignificant over 4 years. And it feels sort of back of the envelope as we don’t know for sure about NMF (I have to dig in and do some research).

I think it comes down to our visit at Case. I’m excited to go back to Cleveland. This time we’re flying, taking public transport from the airport, etc. (so kiddo will really know what it’ll be like to go back and forth). We drove last summer for COVID safety reasons. Purdue ran an excellent admitted students day, and an even more excellent personalized honors tour. I’m excited to see what Case does.

Please note: We know we’re very lucky that we can pay for Purdue. In reality, we are from NY and told our kid we could pay state tuition at just under $30,000, but have a little wiggle room. He wants to make the best decision socially, academically and financially. As you can see, there’s no clear answer at this point.

ginger, Wherever our sons land, they are spoiled for options. I was just telling my wife this morning that there are many students who would love to attend any of the engineering schools that accepted J, including his safeties. How fortunate our sons are.

2 Likes

Exactly. When Binghamton came in around Thanksgiving I was so relieved. A great affordable to us option. And then there were more to come. That being said, I’d like for a decision to be made. And I love Case Western for many, many reasons. If he doesn’t choose Case, hopefully I’m back for EA Fall 2024!

1 Like

Since we’re now hitting late March, has anyone heard about Truehaft scholarships or other non-regular merit/need aid scholarships? (Or have you heard of someone whose heard?) I’m guessing my son didn’t get one, but you never know!

1 Like

My DS emailed yesterday about Treuhaft and admissions rep said if he hadn’t heard, he didn’t receive. I wish schools would let these kids know either way!!

Thanks for letting me know. I assumed that was the case, but it’s good to know that the contacts have been made (if they were going to be made.)

My friend’s daughter got into CWRU and Emory Premed . Good scholarship at CWRU and none at Emory. Apparently case has same BS/MD program for all premed students except PPSP track where they don’t have to take MCAT. What would you recommend? Also She really wanted to get into combined program. Any chances to get into if she applies to EA program? She wants to start preparing from now on.

Enter

Her stats–GPA 4.38, ACT 35 , National Merit Finalist , Varsity Debate, Video Journalism, Lots of shadowing , research ,leadership experience , Varsity soccer player. She is disappointing that she did not get into BS/MD programs . She did not apply to UMKC. Do they accept EA transfer students ?

@awesome2022 Case’s PPSP program is their BS/MD program. That has a separate applications process and only like 25 students are selected. There is no separate BS/MD program. There is no way to get into that program after she is accepted to the college. it is completely NOT WORTH it to apply again next year.

“EA” is Early Action which is just applying earlier.

Most doctors don’t go through a combined program. Case, like any other college, has pre-med support. You can major in whatever you want but take the pre-med pre-reqs (e.g., Bio, Chem, O-chem, Physics, etc). You would need to volunteer, maybe do research, and shadow doctors as well. You then apply to Medical School.

If your friend’s daugter likes Case and Emory equally and Case is significantly cheaper then she should go with Case.

What kind of Pre-Health Advising is there at Case?

Case has a dedicated Pre-med Advisor, Wesley Schaub.

The pre-health advisor also maintains a Pre-Health Professions Canvas page for current and past CWRU undergraduate students interested in the health science professions. The Canvas page provides additional resources for students and is used to communicate information about group advising sessions, application preparation and workshops, clinical and research opportunities, and guest speakers on campus. Students may request access to the Pre-Health Professions Canvas page by sending an email to Wesley Schaub.

https://case.edu/postgrad/graduate-and-professional-school-planning/pre-health-advising

You will need to take the pre-med pre-req courses.
Info can be found here:
https://case.edu/postgrad/graduate-and-professional-school-planningpre-health-advising/medicine

You may want to get involved in research.
Info is here:
https://case.edu/source/

You may want to volunteer at a hospital:
Case is literally surrounded by hospitals. For example:
https://www.uhhospitals.org/locations/uh-cleveland-medical-center/volunteer-services/volunteer-opportunities

You may want to get more info about applying to med school:
You could attend activities such as:
https://case.edu/studentsuccess/node/346

You might want to join a medically related student organization:

Explore CampusGroups (https://community.case.edu/home_login ) for the most up-to-date information about student pre-professional and health-related organizations at CWRU.

1 Like

My DS is on the waitlist and got the email with the 24k scholarship University information. It looks like that is just a one year scholarship, am I correct?

My daughter’s acceptance letter shows her University Scholarship is renewable for 8 up to 8 semesters (as long as requirements met).

If that is what they are showing you - the merit scholarship money it should be the same. If it has to do with need - it would be every year based on need requirements.

1 Like