CBHP Stats

<p>^^^ There are CBH kids from MANY majors. One of the most confusing aspects of CBHP is the word “Computer” in its name. People think that it somehow means that it’s a computer science related program, and it’s not. What Mrs. Batson told us is that UA actually has the first honors program in the country, even older than MIT, where computers were used to “assist” the research going on at the university … dating from the 1960s. In that respect, the program carries the “Computer Based” as a badge of historical honor. Students from many majors participate. A music or art or humanities major can choose a research project that interests them, but they will use computers and technology to assist that process … which shouldn’t surprise anyone in this day and age. Right? :slight_smile: Learning to program is just another way to learn how to problem solve and think logically, an invaluable skill for anyone. And … the music kids can proudly boast: “Yeah, that’s right, I can program in C++! Boo-Yah!” Encourage him to give it a shot, my daughter is having a blast! Roll Tide!</p>

<p>Oh…I should have been more clear. My son’s major is actually Computer Science…but I don’t think he sees the “research” aspect of it. I think he pictures himself sitting at a computer solving puzzles all day (i.e. programming). He doesn’t see the bigger picture as to how the work he does as a computer scientist will work to improve something in our world. If I can get him excited about using his computer science skills somehow in the field of music…I think he would get really excited about it.</p>

<p>Just encourage him to apply now so that he’ll have the opportunity to see if it is something he might like. At least he’ll still have the option. Applying doesn’t mean he HAS to do it. If he goes through the selection process and finds out it really isn’t his cup of tea he can always decline the offer. If he doesn’t apply, the opportunity will pass him by.</p>

<p>wdaveo: My son was not too enthusiastic about CBHP when we first mentioned it. I got him to send in his application just a few hours before it was due. Even after receiving word that he was selected to the program (that came in early March), he still showed little emotion, because he was awaiting word from other colleges where he applied. By the time he got into the class and saw what it entailed, he got excited. </p>

<p>Loring is correct. Encourage him to apply to the program. At least that will give him another option. BTW, the students in their second and third years just do not do one research project. My son has had one “huge” research area with his economics professor, but he also did several smaller projects, including one on dystopian novels.</p>

<p>Did anyone ever respond/venture a guess as to how many kids apply? I see that 60 or so come for interviews.</p>

<p>Here’s the breakdown:</p>

<p>Roughly 200 applicants > 55 selected as finalists > 40 accepted.</p>

<p><a href=“http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/university-alabama/1211404-how-many-students-apply-cbhp.html?highlight=cbhp[/url]”>http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/university-alabama/1211404-how-many-students-apply-cbhp.html?highlight=cbhp&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p&gt;

<p>What is the ratio of male to female in CBHP? Is this something they watch, or is it just based on the best applications?</p>

<p>Class of 2015 looks to be 13 XX, 27 XY…</p>

<p>Cute Loring!</p>

<p>That’s a significant imbalance. Is it because fewer girls apply, or did the male candidates happen to be stronger last year?</p>

<p>M2CK will have to address that part of it. I’m not as familiar with the program as she is. I think that it was because there were significantly more male applicants.</p>

<p>Very Cute. I also hope this means that my XX with strong stats and a “stand out essay” according to her English teacher, will have a good chance of being chosen.</p>

<p>I discussed this with my son and he will be applying for CBHP. Not sure he’s thrilled about it, but at least he won’t regret it. </p>

<p>My son’s stats are not exceptional (4.3 w/3.9 uw gpa, 32 ACT) - and he is not a great writer. Any tips that you can provide to help his app get noticed would be appreciated. I think if he can get to the interview, he will do very well. </p>

<p>Thank you!</p>

<p>Can you give us the essay prompt?</p>

<p>Your son’s stats are great. I am glad that he will be trying for the CBHP.</p>

<p>My daughter says she kinda likes the ratio of boys to girls in CBHP … a target rich environment! :-)</p>

<p>^^^</p>

<p>Smart girl. </p>

<p>But, you knew that…</p>

<p>;-)</p>

<p>@Dad2ILD, I’m a female applying to CBHP and you can tell your daughter that I concur completely with that sentiment :)</p>

<p>Iterry … Good luck to you! Feel free to PM me if you have any questions, or I can pass questions on to my daughter for her to answer. She’s loving UA and is really enjoying the CBH program. Roll Tide!</p>

<p>I encourage all those even somewhat interested in CBHP to apply for the program. If you get accepted into CBHP, great. If not, the Honors College still gets a better idea of who you are and how they can help you thrive at UA.</p>

<p>Great point Sea_Tide.</p>