CBHP Stats

<p>Which computer languages are they teaching? I assume it’s not the languages I learned as a business major 35 years ago (Fortran and COBOL).</p>

<p>Also, D is probably going to major in Quantitative Econ or Finance, or possibly a double major in Econ or Finance and Math (which requires just a few more math classes). Would CBHP work well with that? Would a student have enough time to do both CBHP and the University Scholars Program?</p>

<p>In regards to CBH kids and internships, they do find time to do them. My son did an internship with our Congressman following his freshman year at Alabama. He also took six hours of credit at an area community college so he could finish out his gen ed requirements and worked part-time at a local burger place. Last summer, he traveled to Greece (a trip that he won from his fraternity’s national office), Costa Rica (part of the Alabama Action Abroad program) and Belgium (did a study abroad there and earned six more credits). This coming summer, he will intern again with a federal government agency, probably on a Pacific island. </p>

<p>BTW, he is not a STEM major but a political science/economics major with a strong math background (enough for a minor in the subject). During his freshman year, he roomed with a CBHer who majored in communications.</p>

<p>He does have friends who are in CBHP who are engineering majors. One roommate worked as a counselor with one of Alabama’s summer programs last year before doing his study aboard in Belgium. The other roommate did has study abroad during his sophomore year in South Africa. Another friend has done internships the past two summers – one in Dallas and the other in Savannah, GA.</p>

<p>They are learning Fortran this semester and C++ next semester.</p>

<p>DS is a frosh Chem E major and is planning to do an internship and co-op. I think there is plenty of flexibility for them to do all that the Engineering majors do.</p>

<p>*DS is a frosh Chem E major and is planning to do an internship and co-op. I think there is plenty of flexibility for them to do all that the Engineering majors do. *</p>

<p>Many CBHers use whatever they’re doing in their internship and/or co-op AS THEIR CBH project.</p>

<p>I think some are thinking that students who are doing internships and/or co-ops would also have to do something else (and more time consuming) for CBH. CBH students aren’t told what they have to do research on. They choose what they’re doing…so they often use what their doing for internship/co-ops.</p>

<p>My senior completed the CBH credits His first three years (Math major) and had no conflicts with his Varsity Athlete obligations. He was not the only Varsity Athlete in CBH. </p>

<p>As stated in an earlier post, time management is very important.</p>

<p>Internships and co-ops are critical for employment. Research is vital for grad school admission. Am I to understand that an engineering student in CBH who also does co-op would be covering both options? The superkid who could get a great job right out of school, or get into a top grad school?</p>

<p>wdaveo: I’m curious…what is the purpose of teaching programming language? Most kids wouldn’t actually be programming for their research…would they?</p>

<p>In a recent interview Charlie Rose had done with Mark Zuckerberg (Facebook co-founder). Zuckerberg said if he had one piece of advice for any student going into college now it would be to learn programming…</p>

<p>I really wish my son was more motivated for something like CBH. (He has no interest in pursuing it - but maybe he doesn’t understand it.) </p>

<p>He’s a smart kid but just doesn’t have much initiative. Not sure if this is something he will mature into or not. there are so many opportunities for him at UA…I just hope he reaches out to pursue some of them.</p>

<p>The best part of CBHP is the limitless options. I was a CHE major and I cooped as well. My first research project during my sophomore year I worked with Dr. Dixon on computational chemistry. It was cool working with the Alabama Supercomputer…but I realized, eh I just wasn’t that interested lol. The next two times I did research with Dr. Cheong in the advertising department, using various statistical software programs to analyze/compile data from Superbowl commercials. Most projects are about 2 semesters in length, so if you coop you just find a project that you do for one semester - that means having deliverables that can be accomplished by the end of one semester.</p>

<p><a href=“He%20has%20no%20interest%20in%20pursuing%20it%20-%20but%20maybe%20he%20doesn’t%20understand%20it.”>quote</a>

[/quote]
</p>

<p>wdaveo,</p>

<p>My son was not terribly motivated to sign up for CBHP. I, uh, really encouraged him to apply to both UFE and CBHP in order to keep those options open. I don’t think he really had a clue what the program was like until he went (still not very excited about it) to the interview for CBHP. Once he got there and learned about the program it moved straight to the top of his list. It might not be what your son is looking for, but, if he hasn’t gone down to visit and talk to them about the program he might find out too late that he wished he had thrown his hat in the ring.</p>

<p>uaprophet: When you were doing the research w/Dr. Cheong how many hours per week did you spend on this research project, was it all in one day or spread out throughout the week etc.? Just curious of the time demands.</p>

<p>*any student going into college now it would be to learn programming… *</p>

<p>True…kids are using programming languages in more and more disciplines. </p>

<p>BTW…those who are thinking of taking Honors Physics with Calc…that class has programming in it.</p>

<p>DS has already applied for scholarships without indicating interest in cbh…can he still apply to that? He has already received official notification of his Presidential and Engineering scholarships.</p>

<p>^^^</p>

<p>Applying to CBH has nothing to do with scholarship apps.</p>

<p>You use the Honors College app, do the essay, upload the resume, and then submit.</p>

<p>Oh yea…that’s right. He also already submitted the honors app.</p>

<p>You can revise the Honors App to include CBHP and resubmit it.</p>

<p>Anyone know how many people apply to CBHP, how many are invited to interview and then how many are chosen?</p>

<p>What type of kids are they looking for and what are the distinguishing factors? My son has very good grades and test scores (very strong in sciences, not an exceptional writer), but not outstanding EC’s. He was very heavily involved in a variety of music performance groups as well as church youth group (all of which kept him very busy!)…but never really did much beyond that. </p>

<p>Another thread here indicated there are some ‘tips’ to getting an interview…anyone care to share?</p>

<p>wdaveo: I second what loring said about throwing your hat into the ring. Kids mature in their senior year. Students are only allowed into CBHP in their freshman year. So now is the time.</p>

<p>Fill out the CBH and/or UFE info and essays. (Is it by Dec. 1st?)</p>

<p>You will be told whether or not you make it to the semifinalist stage. Don’t remember when. At least 6 weeks or 8 weeks after Dec. 1. So in late February you go to the CBH/UFE weekend and interview at UA. It’s all planned out and mostly paid for. Don’t know if it’s the same for this year. After that weekend the students wait another month or so to see if they made it into CBHP. </p>

<p>But it all starts with the application and essay. </p>

<p>Last year 51 came to interview at the same time. I believe others were interviewd at a different time due to the students having conflicts with the dates. So maybe 60 interviewed and 40 chosen. If someone turns down the CBHP offer to go to another school, Bama offers the next student in line. Bama wants 40 students in the CBHP group every year. </p>

<p>I believe that CBHP is looking for high stat students.</p>

<p>Thanks to all of you for your advice. I think part of DS’s problem is that he really doesn’t have enthusiasm for Computer Science (because he hasn’t really started it yet) and he needs to see the bigger picture, as it relates to research. </p>

<p>I’ve done some research and bookmarked several research projects taking place at other universities - related to computer science and his true love…music. If I can get him to see how he might be able to do computer science research on a music project of some sort…he might get really excited about it and write an amazing essay for the CBHP application. (He is awesome and charismatic when he is excited about something!)</p>

<p>I am really excited about this and hope that he will be, too. I am sorry about all the questions, but the discussion has helped me understand the value of the CBHP in a way that I really didn’t before. Thanks to all of you.</p>