Chance me for Engineering

Hi if you guys can chance me that would be great!

In State

Class rank 191/733 ~ 26%

Highest test score: Act Composite:30 Math:32 Reading:32 Writing:28 Science:29

Senior course load: AP Stats, AB Calculus, AP Chem, AP Macroeconomics, AP Government, English 4

Extracurriculars: NHS, Science National Honor Society, and several others (no leadership positions)

Volunteer hours: ~40 hours

Work experience: 2 jobs (one for a month during school and the other since August 2015 planning to until August 2016)

Awards: one for Academic Achievement in Chemistry

Essays: Good essays

Submitted a resume

Planning on sending 2 Recommendation Letters

Sent in application at the end of September

First generation in family to go to college in the US

Asian Male

I think you’ll most likely be offered CAP. It is very hard to chance someone since the info you provided above is much less than you supplied on your application.

I think your chances of getting into Texas A&M as a review admit should be decent. However, because you want to be in engineering and your rank will be second quarter things can get a bit more complicated.

The college of engineering will fill to 85% (last year this happened in early November) and after this point admitted
applicants with both majors listed as engineering will be placed in “engineering review”. Please note that you can’t change either of your major choices from non-engineering to engineering after this date.

Engineering review applicants have already been admitted and are given either full admission to engineering or Blinn Engineering Academy (this is separate from Blinn Team in that it is only for Engineering). Finally, students can choose to change majors out of engineering.

As you are a review admit, the complicated part is that you have to be admitted to Texas A&M before you are placed into engineering review. I believe that some review applicants were admitted after engineering review was completed. These applicants were effectively shut out of engineering as once they were admitted, their only option was to change their major out of engineering.

One other consideration for you is whether your class rank will go up to the top 25% after this year. You did not list your English part of the ACT. I assume it is 27 or greater. Your higher rank would have no effect on your application for Fall 2016. However I have read on A&M’s admission blog that students can apply with their new higher rank for the following spring (spring 2017). The only reason to do this is if you qualified for automatic admission with a higher rank.

Bottom line:

Make sure both majors are engineering.

Confirm into which quarter A&M placed you.

I would recommend speaking with someone in admissions regarding this as you are so close to automatic. I definitely would not try to be an automatic spring admit until I had confirmed all this with admissions.

Information about engineering review and Blinn Engineering academy is on A&M’s website.

Good luck!

So sorry! I was in the wrong forum when I answered! I think you have a decent shot at getting in on review because you are very close and ought to be a pretty competitive review admit. Worst case, Blinn Engineering though.