Chance me for VT please!

<p>I'll be applying next fall to attend in fall 2014.
GPA Un-weighted: 3.76 (3.5 9th grade, 4.0 10th grade, 3.8 so far in 11th)
GPA Weighted:3.87
SAT: 2000 overall, 740 CR 570 M 690 W. Taking again next, hoping to improve math and writing. Also plan on taking 3 subject tests.
Extracurriculars- 1 yr cross country, 4 years track, an assortment of clubs President of 2, Editor in Chief of newspaper next year, internship this summer writing for The Prospect blog. Volunteer at a space and science museum. Nothing truly spectacular.
CA resident.
Intended Major is International Studies
2 (APUSH and Chem) APs and 1 honors this year(English), 1 honors last year(English), 2.5 honors freshman year(Geometry, Bio, English), 4 APs senior year(Lit, Stats, Econ/Gov, and Spanish).
I am also going to hopefully be taking a college class or two this summer at a community college this summer.
Also I'm female</p>

<p>Virginia Tech is my first choice and even thought I probably won't be able to go as far as finances are concerned, I'd still love to hear my chances. Thanks so much!</p>

<p>I would say in. A 1310/1600 is higher than the average SAT score here I think. GPA is fine, but I have no way to compare it against the VT average considering I have no idea where they get their numbers from.</p>

<p>I am probably not the best <em>chancer</em> and I’m sure someone will chime in who knows better. My son had similar stats as you and he was waitlisted (business school). He did speak with admissions and they told him that it was because they feel he didn’t have enough AP courses. His school only offers 11 courses (and only 10 this year) and they have a stringent process for getting into them. While my son met the requirements to take more AP courses, the size of his school and his guidance counselor cut back the amount that he had requested. </p>

<p>So depending on what your school offers, you may not have enough AP courses. However, I do know kids who had a total of nine AP courses and still got waitlisted.</p>

<p>Also, your Math SAT seems sort of low for the general population of VT so I would try to get that up and I think that will greatly help.</p>

<p>It really depends a lot on the major you are trying to get into. For instance, Engineering is very difficult and your stats probably wouldn’t get you in, but they might get you into English. Hard to say. I think your stats are very much like my son’s and they sort of have you “sitting on the fence” so to speak.</p>

<p>Tech is becoming more selective each year and their applicants’ are more and more competitive. According to the Admissions office, the incoming freshman class is the most competitve and accomplished to date. Once the admission cycle ends (after waitlist is closed - probably June), the Class of 2017 profile will be posted - average GPA and mid-range SAT, ACT, etc. Those stats will provide a good metric for “chances” of admission. Good luck.</p>

<p>I did want to add that I think you being out of state will help you.</p>

<p>My son is in state and from Northern VA to boot which makes it all the worse.</p>

<p>You are probably too light on AP classes before senior year but your gpa is otherwise fine. If VT considers your school district in CA to be competitive then that’s a major plus. Your SAT scores are fine - - the Math wouldn’t cut it for engineering but it may be okay for international studies.</p>

<p>I know that in-state CA is getting quite expensive. Perhaps VT would be competitive if they offered any aid.</p>

<p>BTW - international studies is a fun undergra major but with almost no practical use by itself. Most people who go to work with international agencies have a masters degree in international studies/business, e.g., Thunderbird, SAIS at JHU, GW, Georgetown’s School of Foreign Service etc. If you are going to have to get a masters anyway there’s no real need for an undergraduate degree in the same subject.</p>

<p>VT has some of the most transparent data available on admissions I’ve seen. Beyond the common data set, which gives generic stats on the class as a whole, VT breaks down stats by each school, by in state/OOS, by gender, and by ethnicity. To keep in mind, this data is from the freshman class, so students that matriculated, not students that were accepted. We should expect the accepted data would be somewhat higher, however this is still a good guide. </p>

<p><a href=“http://www.ir.vt.edu/work_we_do/demo_enroll/admission/studentAdmission.html[/url]”>http://www.ir.vt.edu/work_we_do/demo_enroll/admission/studentAdmission.html&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p&gt;

<p>This allows you to see the difference between instate female engineering, OOS male architecture, and instate male Pamplin, for example. They can vary by quite a bit. It can help you measure the difference between a match and a reach.</p>

<p>Not to derail the thread, but as an IS major ('86), I did want to say that it’s a great major if you want a broad, liberal arts education + foreign language. While ChrisTKD is correct that it doesn’t have as clear a career path as, say, engineering or accounting, I found employers and grad schools viewed it very favorably.</p>

<p>These posts always confuse me because I got in with 1950 SAT,s 4W GPA, 1 AP, and 1 dual enrollment course. I did take all honors junior year, though. I’m out of state and have good extracurriculars.</p>

<p>To me, you sound pretty competitive. Good luck, and don’t worry about the money just yet. Apply for financial aid and scholarships if need be.</p>

<p>Thanks for the feedback! Definitely not feeling so confident now haha. My school only offers one AP to sophomores and most juniors are only able to take 2 or 3.</p>

<p>For international studies, you are like 99% in. 2000 SAT with 740 CR, 3.7 GPA. Pretty impressive. </p>

<p>You have a good chance at University of Virginia and William & Mary.</p>

<p>I have a good chance at William and Mary too? Really? Even out of state? I’m like sure I would never get in there.</p>

<p>Wait a minute, XtremePower. My son got rejected from William and Mary this year: OOS, similar GPA (also small school with few AP options) and ECs (even the paper EIC–which is a big deal enentopy; play it up!), and a 2150 SAT. </p>

<p>Good luck!</p>

<p>I think UVA and W&M both are big stretches, especially if OOS. Lots of kids in-state with better stats get rejected by them each year. You need some significant, distinguishing ECs to have a shot with what would be considered a low SAT and GPA for them. Not saying it’s impossible, but pretty unlikely IMHO.</p>

<p>Yeah I’m not expecting to get into W&M and I’m not even applying to UVA. I was just asking about VT really…</p>