Chance me? (HS class of 2017)

GPA: 3.84 W/3.51 UW
PSAT: CR: 610 M: 590 W: 540
Predicted Nov. SAT: CR: 740 M: 710 W: 620 (Not focusing on writing; it’ll be gone this spring)
APs: AP Lang, AP Bio, AP Chem, and next year, AP Calc BC, AP Lit, AP Physics 1&2

ECs: Swimming since age 5, swam for the school from soph to senior, student government soph to senior, performed in school musicals 6th grade to senior, honors choir (upperclassmen only, by audition) junior and senior, played oboe 4th grade to senior, sang in school + other choirs 4th grade to senior, singer for concert jazz band, self-taught piano, flute, and guitar

Awards: Maximum Honors 6th grade to current, National French Honors Society member, varsity swimmer, and various academic awards at the school level

Thank you!

EDIT: Forgot to mention, I’m out of state and I’ll apply for biochemistry.

SUNY is desperate for OOS. They’ve been trying to get OOS students for 50 years without success. The further you are away, the more desirable you would be to Binghamton. There are students from New Jersey and New Jersey, although not that many. Biology is a weak dept-maybe the weakest at the university. Chemistry is a tab bit stronger. Neither very strong. I take it you are considering Binghamton as a safety. Especially if your expected scores pan out, it would be a good safety for you. You list AP’s but not scores. Did you get 5’s on the ones you have taken? I believe Binghamton views 3s as good enough.

I’m coming from CT, and I’m not really sure yet, but at this point it is a safety even though I like it a lot. My Bio exam was a 4, and Gov & Politics (forgot to mention that one too, oops) was a 3, so hearing that the 3 counts there is a good sign.

Yeah,unfortunately the fact that 3’s count for college credit at Binghamton speaks volumes about the quality of the academics there. It is also reflected in the type of students who end up attending versus those who decline (more than 80% getting offers prefer another offer they got). I would not recommend Binghamton for a strong student who is academic or scholarly but for it can be ideal for those wanting an efficient degree and who could care less about classes. It’s all about grades and credits at Binghamton. Just think, a B student can shave off an entire college year with 3’s on a bunch of high school level AP’s. Kind of a joke. Is getting a 3 even above chance? (for a good description of the school see http://chronicle.com/article/How-I-Aced-College-and-Why-I/63791/) But if you go to Binghamton with a bunch of 3s on APs you can get out with your degree in 3 years. And it is a good bet you’ll have nearly all As cause faculty are under enormous pressure to give them out for anything close to passing work.

If the 3-year thing works out, I might just pick up a double major. I’m already young, and I’m pretty sure my mom doesn’t want me out in the real world any sooner than I have to be, haha
Thank you for the info!

All suny schools give credit for 3’s. Do you post this nonsense on their forums as well? Besides, most 3’s (and often 4’s) will only get you elective credit. You won’t be getting credit for many college courses with 3’s.

Of course since you hate Binghamton’s very existence you would say that credit for 3’s is good for those who want an efficient degree. On the other hand, knocking some gen ed’s out of the way allows for students like me to pursue more than one major when it may not have otherwise been feasible.

Jesus christ I swear I cannot keep having this same conversation. You know what other colleges accept 3’s for credit? Like, a lot. I just googled random state schools that popped into my head - UCLA, Maryland, Indiana, Georgia. All accept 3s! So fine - make the argument that accepting 3s somehow says something especially telling about Binghamton, but excuse me for finding it a bit tenuous. Also, like coolin said, you only get elective credit.

OP I would not consider Bing a safety until you take the actual test. With a 1700-something you are below average in every category. I’m sure you’ll improve but SATs are one of the most important factors in figuring out your college list so wait until you hear definitively on that. Being OOS will help but not so much that you can be below average in each section and it still be a safety.

“I would not recommend Binghamton for a strong student who is academic or scholarly but for it can be ideal for those wanting an efficient degree and who could care less about classes”

@lostaccount, you make these kinds of statements a lot. Can you clarify, for those who keep asking, where exactly you are getting this firsthand information about how strong students are not suited for Binghamton and how most students there don’t care about classes? I sincerely am having difficulty understanding - have you spent time there as a student? Have your children? Were you a professor there? Are you Harvey Stenger? Are you pipenightmare? I’m not trying to be facetious, I genuinely don’t understand where these confident assertions about the student body are coming from so I’d like to know your credentials. As an academic, scholarly, high-achieving gal with an admittedly more impressive Bearcat boyfriend, I can sincerely say our experiences have been nothing like you describe. So, what makes you say this? Genuinely curious.

Binghamton ranks in the top 100 out of the almost 2000 colleges in the us and has a 41% acceptance rate. It is not a safety school. It can be a match for you with your projected score but not a safety. If someone considers this a safety… what is a match?

You get what you put into it. If you choose to get your credits taking joke courses then so be it. Besides, ap credit only gets you passed a general or entry level course. If you’re trying to be a doctor, a 3 on AP chem will NOT satisfy all of your pre med requirements, you would still have to take a more in depth chem. All it does is get you out of chem 101.

Actually, coolin, AP scores of 3 are exchangeable for credit. A full year can be shaved off. A maximum of 32 credits can be satisfied with AP test scores of 3. That is the equivalent to 8 typical classes. Binghamton awards 4 credits for 3 class hours/week-something that is discussed here: http://chronicle.com/article/How-I-Aced-College-and-Why-I/63791/

My opinion may differ from yours. Rebecca, you are twisting what I have said. Because I would not recommend Binghamton University for strong students does not mean that there are no strong students at Binghamton. (There certainly are strong students at Binghamton). Nor did I say that no students care about classes. I do think it is a good school for students who simply want as efficient a degree as possible. That says nothing about how many students at Binghamton University are there only because they want an efficient degree. Read my posts more carefully if you are going to object to what I write. If I am factually incorrect, I’d welcome a correction.

Who I am is none of your business. I write only what I believe to be true/factually correct. My opinions are my opinions. I know there are many people who share my opinions but who don’t necessarily write about them. But that does not really matter. Even if nobody shared my opinions, they are no less valid than yours. These are my opinions. When I state factual information, as for example when I say that Binghamton awards 4 credits for 3 hour classes (that would earn 3 credits in most other schools), I am reporting factual information. It is either correct or incorrect. I try to make sure it is correct. If anything I post is incorrect, please let me know. But my opinion about the factual information is just that…opinion.

This is not a PR forum for Binghamton University. There are already plenty of PR forums out there. I don’t believe Binghamton spares any cost when it comes to PR. When it comes to resources for educating college students, that is another story. But there is plenty of positive PR out there about Binghamton U. CC is not simply another PR venue for the university. It is a venue that allows for vetting of a range of opinions.

Binghamton had a string of scandals. The scandals were perpetuated because nobody who knew the truth was willing to speak out. Many of those engaged in wrong doing, and who were sited in the Kaye report, for example, not only kept their jobs, some have been promoted. The president resigned in disgrace but many involved administrators and faculty members remain. The public has a right to know. If none of the scandals happened while you were a student, you are lucky. But these are recent events. Five years is a short time in the life of a university. The scandals, which went on and on and on, were the result of wrong doing that persisted despite evidence of problems, misconduct and worse. Students and parents were lied to at various times. And the same people perpetuating the scandals were painting a picture of the university in only glowing terms. They were dishonest. The repercussions for dishonesty and illegal activity last quite some time. The scandals that got the most publicity, like the basketball scandal or the illegal use of funds (Research Foundation) or illegal hiring practices or gender issues or the denials about things that were known to be true, were just the tip of a really nasty iceberg. I believe you said that you don’t think these things impact students. We disagree there.

Perspective students have a right to hear the positives and negatives. I am dedicated to telling the truth. I think that at Binghamton the truth can be hard to find. The image of the school as a public Ivy or “star of the SUNY system” is at odds with the realities at the university. The university has expanded the number of students it accepts without ensuring that there are resources to handle them. There aren’t. That has created problems in advising, career counseling…well across the board. The place is busting at the seams. I believe that the university does not include all scores submitted by accepted students. If so, then the published ranges and means are inaccurate. That is a problem.I will discuss these problems because they are problematic. Meaning…yes, they are a big deal.

The public has a right to know. Public funds are supporting the school. Students also have a right to know about the climate of the university they are considering attending. There is plenty of room on this forum for positive and negative comments about any school. Anyone can read both sides and come to their own conclusions.I do say things that others are reluctant to say. That is true. I also say things that others know to be true but wish I’d not say. Too bad. If I were applying, I’d like to read all opinions. I think it would help me make an informed decision. Perspective students are free to skip my comments if they choose. It’s often suggested that perspective applicants ask interviewers what they view as the negative or down sides to the school. Perhaps my posts offer that perspective. Perspective students should learn as much as possible about schools they are considering. Then, armed with information, they can make their own judgements. Knowing that someone does not like the school does not mean the student won’t find the school a perfect match. That judgement is up to them.

Yeah, I’ve heard this whole song and dance before. Sorry I kind of skimmed it this time if I missed anything new or interesting. The fact I’m concerned with is that you make very strong negative claims about the school and I think it’s fair for the people you’re speaking with to know that you have absolutely zero connection or experience with the school, as far as we all know.

Any time anyone calls you out, you mention that we are “twisting your words” and that you did not say that literally no students care about their grades, or literally every strong student would be unhappy. Of course we know this, and of course no one would make those claims. I don’t know why you keep saying that because you didn’t say it in absolutist terms, you’re absolved. I still object to you saying that it is generally the case. Can you explain why you think it is generally, often, usually (choose whatever synonym best aligns with what you’re actually saying) the case? So far I’ve heard “it’s just my opiiiinion, man,” and “this isn’t a PR site for Binghamton” and “I think it’s true” so…okay…what is the actual substance of this argument? What have you seen? What have you experienced? What makes you say this? For example, you once said this:

So in this example, what makes you say that? Who says that? I have certainly never heard anyone say that. I saw that at Penn but not at Binghamton.

There are plenty of things I don’t like about Binghamton. I have no agenda or motive or need for people to support or attend the school - I have a great job, I’m done, my only motivation now is to help others navigate the pros and cons of such a school. If that is your M.O. as well, I don’t understand it.

Rebecca, you are welcome to your opinion and I am to mine.

I was taking you up on that offer. Not sure what you’re planning to do with the information that you’re incorrect, but figured I should let you know.

Rebeccar, after this comment I will try to avoid engaging in this conversation. I’d appreciate it if you would not direct your posts to me. I’m not applying to college nor am I asking for your opinion of my posts. However, anyone who disagrees about information in someone else’s post is free to present their own impression or opinion of the school. Divergent opinions may encourage students to examine their college choices more carefully.

lostaccount, I think I was pretty clear when I said “All suny schools give credit for 3’s”. I’m aware Binghamton gives credit for 3’s, but like I said before it’s elective credit and not really equivalent to actual classes. You won’t be fulfilling any prereq’s for most majors by getting a 3. This is true of all SUNY schools and many other good state schools, so to single out Binghamton for this is not really painting an accurate picture

Um, but you’re not engaging in the conversation at all. You constantly post about how you think the “other side should be discussed” but when you’re asked to expand on this “other side,” you keep repeating something about “opinions” and refuse to do so. Do you know what an opinion is? You constantly post about how “this is a public forum” but now you’re telling me who I should and should not direct my posts to? The whole thing is frankly just very bizarre.

coolin, I would be surprised if most schools allowed as much credit for 3s on AP exam but maybe they do. I don’t think other SUNYs award 4 credits for 3 class hours. Most require 4 class hours for 4 credit hours or give 3 credit house for classes that are held for 3 hours a week. (http://chronicle.com/article/How-I-Aced-College-and-Why-I/63791/).

@lostaccount I swear you’re an internet “troll”, for lack of a better word. It’s like you scope the entire CC website just to post nonsense. But idk, I could be wrong of course…

All one has to do is to Google Binghamton 4 Credit Hour to get a link that explains the 4 credit hour expectations. It’s the first hit. Lostaccount, you put zero effort in making sure you had factual information.

http://www.binghamton.edu/academics/provost/documents/syllabus-credit-hours-0314.pdf

A typical 3 credit hour class elsewhere consists of 3 classroom hour plus 6 out of class hours, but the Binghamton 4 credit class requires the 3 classroom hours, plus 9.5 out of class hours of expected work. This is approved by the US Dept of Education, the Middle States Association accrediting org and the NYS Dept of Education. The notion that the 4 credit hour classes are the same as the 3 hour classes elsewhere is nonsense. Of course lostaccount already knew that, but wanted to stir the pot again by hijacking a chance-me thread to start the trash talking about Binghamton. Again.

Same old same old…

Yes BearINHoney, Thanks for checking that out. Yes they give 4 hours for 3 class hours. Nope they are not different from 3 credit hour classes in other places. (http://chronicle.com/article/How-I-Aced-College-and-Why-I/63791/).

"Late last year, I was reliably informed that Binghamton, unique among the scores of individual SUNY campuses, awards four credits for classes that require only three faculty-contact hours per week. The origins of that sweet, state-approved deal for faculty members are shrouded in the mists of time, dating back half a century. When asked about it, a university spokesperson told me that “Binghamton faculty well understand what student work is required to satisfy a four-credit designation.” She didn’t explain how the policy is enforced, or how it could be, given the autonomy that faculty members enjoy in defining course content.

I also talked to the provost, who insisted that Binghamton’s four credits are more substantive than, say, the State University of New York at Stony Brook’s three. But there are no external studies or standards to verify that. Speaking as someone whose housemate once entered slacker Valhalla by skipping the entire months of October and November while still earning 16 credits for a full four-course semester, I am, to say the least, unconvinced."