Chance me please!

Hi everyone I’m an Indian Male in TN and I would like to know how competitive I am at VT.

My stats are :

3.45 UW GPA (this can become a 3.55 at the end of 1st semester senior year).
4.04 W GPA (this can become a 4.13 at the end of 1st semester senior year).
35 ACT (36 Superscore)
1420 PSAT
SAT 2’s Scores Pending (Math 2 & Physics)
Full IB Diploma Curriculum (5 HL classes and 1 SL)

EC’s (simplified list):

3 years varsity soccer
3 years MUN
2 years Robotics
2 years Knowledge Bowl
1 year History Bowl
2 years Badminton Club
Attended Advanced Space Academy for 1 week, earned one undergrad credit.
Attended Harvard Summer School for 7 weeks, earned eight undergrad credits.
10 Week Research with a College Professor
2 year Intern at an IT firm
Secretary Badminton Club
Co-President Astronomy Club
Co-President of ACT/SAT Tutoring group

Trend: Very Good 9th grade, OK 10th Grade, Bad 11th Grade, Hopefully Very Good 12th Grade

School doesn’t have class rank.

Thank you!

Hey there! You have a really good chance for VT should be good. If you are interested in the engineering school then you should be good for that too! One thing to make sure you excel at is the essays, for VT really looks at these (sometimes even more than gpa!). Also fyi, if any of those academies you attended were things you had to pay for, then VT won’t really look at those as much as the other things. But if you were accepted into them and they were paid for, then you should be golden! Best of luck!! Chance back?? (I also apologize for a late response :))

@love4studying So VT doesn’t really look at clubs/activities that you had to pay a member fee for, such as Key Club? I would love to join the Key Club next year, but the $20 membership fee seems kind of ridiculous and ironic, considering the fact that it’s a volunteering club. I do know, however, where all of that money goes, but it still doesn’t sit right with me.

You should be fine, if you are out of state, you just need to maintain above a 3.6 weighted gpa in high school.

Thanks everyone

In that case you’re paying dues to the club which is fine. I’m talking about like stuff like traveling abroad where someone would have to pay $5,000 to participate in whatever program they wanted to do. Anything that you had to pay large sums of money to do then VT won’t really look at it because its more impressive if that kind of stuff is already paid for. (For example I attended VT for a whole month studying agriculture and my room/board/food was all paid for by the school. If I had to pay it, it wouldn’t be as impressive/useful for college apps). You can definitely still incorporate them into essays and stuff for your gained experience! Key club is a great club to join and the $20 fee just sounds like something that most clubs would normally charge to participate (t-shirts, field trips, etc.)

@love4studying Thanks. I really want to join, but I don’t know if the $20 was worth it. I love volunteering, but I’ve never heard of paying $20 to volunteer and be a member.

@ak2018 yeah lol it’s kinda dumb in some cases… My school has stuff like that too. But anyway, good luck!

@love4studying Do you know what the essay prompts are? My son has set up an account to apply, but the application is not ready yet and prompts are not available. It would be nice for him to know what the prompts are to get a head start. Thanks.

Hey! Yeah, the VT prompts aren’t ready yet (I’m pretty sure they will be in August), and sadly they don’t use the common app. But if your son is applying to any other schools that do use the common app, then you can see those!

@STEM2017 ^^^^^

^ I was able to find these…

A) What are the top five reasons you want to be a Hokie?

B) If there is something you think would be beneficial for the Admissions Committee to know as we review your academic history, please take this opportunity to explain.

C) Our motto is Ut Prosim (That I May Serve). How is service to others important in your life?

D) If you could have any superhero power what would it be and why?

E) If you could spend one day with any person (living or deceased) who would it be and why? What would you want them to know about you?
F) We believe strongly in the Virginia Tech Principles of Community and the value of human diversity affirmed therein. Share a perspective or experience related to your culture, age, color, disability, gender, gender identity, gender expression, national origin, political affiliation, race, religion, sexual orientation, or veteran status that might explain how you will enrich the climate of mutual respect and understanding here.

G) Virginia Tech is one of the six senior military institutions in the country, how will this setting contribute to your college experience.