Chance me Texas A&M

<p>Thanks for the clarification AvantGardePrep.</p>

<p>…as soon as the option is <strong>open</strong>.</p>

<p>Depending on the year and applicant pool it is possible that they could almost fill up with auto-admits and academic admits.</p>

<p>In our campus visit it was stressed that engineering was one of the most difficult to get into because of the number of applicants vs. the number of open slots. They are increasing the number of slots, I’m told - but again - I wouldn’t waste a lot of time. Get your application in the day it opens up.</p>

<p>It doesn’t help to apply early if you are a review admit. I speak from experience. Applied Aug 10th to engineering and didn’t find out until end of March, PSA. Ranked 17% at large competitive school in Houston. 4.2 gpa. Bottom line, no one on this site or anywhere else can “chance” someone. Every applicant is different. Just apply and have a plan B & C in place.</p>

<p>it does help to apply early if you are review admit. DD was a review admit. Applied Sept 26, admitted Oct 10. If she had waited she might have still been admitted, but would probably not have made it into Mays. Apply early!!</p>

<p>I believe I have a good bead on what it takes for one to be admitted into TAMU. For six years I was heavily involved in awarding university and even created the selecting process for some of the scholarships. I understand the admissions and scholarships process about as well as one can. I’ve reviewed thousands of applications, and understand what an exceptional applicant looks like.</p>

<p>Things are getting more and more difficult for review admits. ECs, service, and leadership will only become more important to separate yourself from the pack. Solid test scores don’t hurt either, but you won’t be admitted on them alone.</p>

<p>AvantGardePrep, hey I have some questions about me transferring to TAMU, would you prefer I post them in a separate post here, or PM you?</p>

<p>Feel free to PM me if you like.</p>

<p>Hey AvantGardePrep, can you please tell me how much competition is there at A&M for international students, especially in Engineering? It would be great if you can suggest a percentage for internationals admitted.</p>

<p>Competition for International students is even more competitive. You can see more information about our admitted student population here. [Data</a> and Research Services - Student Data and Reports](<a href=“http://dars.tamu.edu/Data-and-Reports/Student#applied]Data”>http://dars.tamu.edu/Data-and-Reports/Student#applied)</p>

<p>What I can tell you about the COE is that international students made up less than 1% of the admitted students.</p>

<p>That’s an interesting sheet. I remember having seen that before. Statistically, Business, Architecture and Engineering have the lowest percentage of admits to applicants.</p>

<p>Since those schools fill up quicker, I would guess that’s a major function of why they APPEAR to be more competitive. It would be interesting to see a breakdown of number of auto and academic admits accepted to each school.</p>

<p>(Overall. Not international)</p>

<p>Mays Business School 52.84% of admits accepted
Architecture 54.38%
Engineering 57.48%
Education 58.29%
Liberal Arts 61.71%
Ag & Life Sciences 63.01%
General 68.51%
Vet Medicine 69.10%
Science 70.25%
Geosciences 91.01%</p>

<p>I do expect those admit rates to go down for the next year. A&M received almost 10,000 more applications for this cycle and admitted too many students. They missed their projection by almost 1500 students. I guarantee that their matriculation formula will be adjusted for the coming year to hit their target number of 8500.</p>

<p>Have you heard anything new about a reduction in the “Top 10%” auto admit criteria to a lower percentage?</p>

<p>@AvantGardePrep, If they cut the rate then the review admits will have a tough time getting in after the autos and academics. </p>

<p>@cromette, Is A&M thinking of doing the same floating rate as UT? Doesn’t that have to be approved by the Texas legislature or was the change for UT all encompassing to Texas public universities?</p>

<p>Personally I hate the whole 10% rule. I understand what they are trying to do but it is not working. It has hurt both universities, IMHO.</p>

<p>kldat1, you’re correct about the review admits having a tougher time. That’s what AvantGardePrep has basically been saying throughout the thread. OP has some strong points, but AGP is saying that OP will have a difficult time being admitted. OP is a review admit in the top 35% of the class and a mediocre gpa. Even with the advanced course load and the high test scores, that could make it difficult.</p>

<p>Regarding the floating rate - that’s sort of what I was asking. I had heard rumors. I would think it would have to be approved, but it might not be too difficult given the precedence.</p>

<p>avantegarde,
My son had heard, and I wondered if it was truth or rumor, that a&m may no longer use rolling admissions for engineering (or perhaps all majors). What is your opinion? I have children in engineering at a&m and UT. I like that at a&m some students who might not have had the opportunity to take some of the highest level math courses in highschool do have the opportunity to try engineering (if they are in top 10% and apply early), but it does seem that more students transfer out of engineering at a&m than at UT. UT only admits what I call “math ready” students to engineering…(ie top standardized test scores and AP math scores.) My a&m student said his advisor said more than half of the freshmen in his particular engineering major transferred out of engineering.
Just curious what you think about this big difference in admissions “philosophy” between the two.</p>

<p>I have yet to hear any discussion from those high enough in the administration chain to suggest that TAMU is going to limit top 10%. Actually, I think they embrace it because it helps them to achieve to their goals with under-represented students. Texas A&M is a land-grant institution created to serve those of the State of Texas, and that has been their focus for sometime.</p>

<p>Now the College of Engineering has a plan in place that they will only automatically accept the top 5% up until November 1. After this date, the remaining students will be ranked and admitted according to their academic scores (percentile ranks and test scores). This plays in favor to those who are outside of the top 10%, but the process will still be very competitive.</p>

<p>“Now the College of Engineering has a plan in place that they will only automatically accept the top 5% up until November 1. After this date, the remaining students will be ranked and admitted according to their academic scores (percentile ranks and test scores). This plays in favor to those who are outside of the top 10%, but the process will still be very competitive.”</p>

<p>I don’t see how this will really favor most of those who are outside of the top 10% if they are ranking them and admitting them according to percentile ranks and test scores. The only ones that fit that profile that it might benefit are those from “highly competitive high schools” where you can have a 3.7 or 3.8 gpa, a 1400+ on the SAT (CR & M), and still fall outside of the top 10% or even the top 25%.</p>

<p>If adopted, when will this plan take effect? And will they have to get any state approval to enact it?</p>

<p>

</p>

<p>Two questions, are you taking AP Computer Science + AP Calculus BC this year and did you make National AP Scholar last year? Also, you did not answer, but if you make NMSF you will definitely get in.</p>

<p>They don’t need to get approval for that plan. They are still following the rule of admitting the top 10%. The state cannot tell them how to admit to the individual schools, such as engineering. And yes it will most definitely favor the big schools.</p>

<p>Ok, interesting! Thanks! Do you know when that might happen? Just curious…it doesn’t affect us. D3 has been accepted for fall, and she’s top 4% anyway. And I don’t have any more. WHEW! :)</p>