Chance me WashU in St Louis ED1 and other schools

Demographics
White Female, New York, double major in biology and studio art while on the premed track, high income, Dad went to Lehigh. I submitted a supplemental art portfolio to all colleges which allowed me to send it.

GPA: 97/100 w, N/A uw
Mid-sized, competitive Public School
Test Scores: Test optional

Coursework
Took 6 APs: AP Physics 1, AP Studio Art (4 on AP), APUSH, AP Calc AB, AP Micro, AP Chemistry (did not take tests for the rest)
Took 1 honors class: Honors Chemistry
Took 1 college class: College Psychology
Took Four years of Latin

Awards

• Honor roll all of high school
  • Many Scholastic Art and Writing Awards Gold Keys in Photography and digital art during all four years
  • Sold artwork to a museum
  • National Honors Society
  • National Latin Exam Silver Medal
  • National Art Honors Society, National Latin Honors Society
  • New York State Olympics of the Visual Arts first place in jewelry and second place in photography
  • All County Art
  • Long Islands Best Art Competition

Extracurriculars

• In four clubs: Olympics of the visual arts (art based competition club), Photography Club, National Art Honors Society, Premedical Society
  • Leadership:
    Olympics of the visual arts: Secretary (10), VP (11), President (12)
    Photography Club: Treasurer (10), VP (11), President (12)
    National Art Honors Society: Historian (11), VP (12)
  • I play tennis outside of school
  • I have a part-time job working with an art teacher who teaches art classes to children
  • I did two pre-college summer programs in photography and emergency medicine
  • I traveled to Hawaii, Greece, and Italy to do community service (90 hours of service)

Essays/LORs/Other
I think my main essay is pretty strong
LORs: I asked my AP Physics teacher and my APUSH teacher. I think both letters are pretty strong.

With WashU:

• I visited campus
  • I did the optional 90 second video
  • Alumni interview
  • National Portfolio Day
  • Schoolhouseworld math certifications
  • Went to admission counselor presentation at my school

Cost Constraints / Budget
None

Schools

• Safety (certain admission and affordability)
    Pitt (already accepted), Delaware (already accepted), Elon (EA), University of South Carolina (EA)
  • Match
    Lafayette (regular), Lehigh (regular), William & Mary (regular)
  • Reach
    WashU (ED), Cornell (Regular), Emory (regular), Northeastern (EA), Northwestern (Regular), UNC (EA), UVA (EA), Vanderbilt (ED2 or Regular), Wake Forest (Regular)

Correction: I took 7 APs. I forgot AP Govt.

Based on your prospective majors, your EC list definitely reflects that, though in that and awards, it would probably have been more helpful to show more biology related work.

I assume you didn’t take the SAT or ACT… and with 7 AP classes, depending on what your school supplied you with and the opportunities you took, WashU is definitely a reach, but with a really compelling essay and if your interview went well, I think you do have a feasible chance with schools in that level of academic excellence.

1 Like

Did you apply to the art school or arts and sciences?

Your extra curricular are impressive for arts but are light for science.

If you are applying for biology or pre-med, that is extremely competitive. Did your school offer AP Biology? I’m not seeing it on your list.

1 Like

I applied for bio. My school does offer AP bio but I chose to take AP Chem instead because it will prepare me better for premed chemistry in college. I explained in my why major essay why I wanted to major in bio and do premed. I wrote about how my mom had cancer and that inspired my passion for medicine.

Should I email admissions and say I want to apply to the art school instead?

For schools like Wash U and Vandy, in order to have a chance from our competitive North East public high school, you likely will submit a 1500/34+ test score (and even then, chances are not high). Going test optional will be a disadvantage. A 97 weighted average would also be on the low side for these schools.

I think you put the schools in the correct categories. They are reaches ( but not impossible) Good luck!

2 Likes

I wouldn’t change to the art school unless that was genuinely your first choice.

1 Like

I just change to the art school, but I’m going to double major in bio

At my school a 97 gpa is pretty high and it’s extremely difficult to get 100 gpa.

I think you have your list assessed properly.

It’s an odd mix to me - U of SC and Pitt I see. But then Elon and W&M are much smaller - and more isolated etc.

W&M might be a reach. But you have four great safeties so you’re good!!

2 Likes

Congratulations on your record; you have a shot at it, for sure! Your course rigor seems to be light for WashU, Vandy- type schools: only one honors: are there honors courses in English, history, bio, foreign language at your school?
Does your school have naviance, so you might be able to assess how a 97 weighted gpa does in admissions? Alternatively , ask your counselor if they can give you an estimate of your class rank. Also, it might help you to ask how many from your school typically get in to WashU, Vandy etc each year. If your school has a large % who gets accepted to Ivies++ each year then you likely have a better chance.

1 Like

Last year it says four people were accepted. My school does not offer honors Latin so I could not take that and they don’t offer honors social studies, they only have AP which I took. My gpa seems about average on naviance so it could go either way. But I think my art stuff has a chance to get me in.

1 Like

What do you think my chances are of getting into the art school?

For the art school, it really depends on how many spaces there are for your type of art and how many others applied.

According to this site, there are 86 students in the current freshman class for art:

Ok. Thanks. When I went to WashU at national portfolio day they seemed impressed with my portfolio. I don’t know if that means anything though. I mainly do photography and digital art.

My school has a very good art program and it’s very competitive. I was awarded Superintendent artist which is only awarded to two people.

1 Like

You applied ED. So you’ll know soon enough. And the acceptance rate was 27% vs 8% RD. So that helps.

I personally think being a TO student makes it more difficult at the top schools. But 42% of those who enrolled were TO which is a few % less than kids who applied TO.

No one can truly tell you. We are not AOs. That you’ve already got two great acceptances and Elon is going to happen, enjoy your weeks and you’ll know soon enough.

But you’ve already got wonderful options. So that part is great.

4 Likes

That is fantastic! You sound very talented and you should be proud of your accomplishments. ED will certainly help and it looks like you already have some great options. Take some deep breaths and you will know soon enough!

2 Likes

I think you have a great chance! My DS was accepted RD without test scores from a competitive hs in chicago area. She is a dancer and english major with similar stats. (less AP science/more AP english and SS)
We are not high income, and she was offered great aid, but ulitmately decided on Vandy (also RD, no scores).
Congratulations on all that you have already accomplished and Good luck!

1 Like