Chances Maybe?

<p>Hey, I am an international student who hopes to get into the U. I am new to this whole applying process, so I was wondering what my chances might be to get in, and possibly get a scholarship.</p>

<p>I have a 3.95 unweighted GPA
I am Head Boy
I am on the Track and Field and Basketball teams
I am not entirely sure of all my awards, but I am not sure that they would matter too much in the United States. Am I wrong?</p>

<p>In October I will have hopefully spent time working in Doctor's Hospital in Nassau.</p>

<p>I haven't taken my SATs yet, so I am not sure if I will be able to apply early action. I have until September 10th to register an SAT date in October. Do you think it is necessary I apply early if I want to be accepted or get a scholarship? </p>

<p>One of my teachers had a past student get accepted into UM with a scholarship and she says she thinks I can do the same. What are you thoughts?</p>

<p>Much Thanks,
Bigwoof</p>

<p>A 3.95 unweighted GPA is VERY impressive, to put it in perspective I feel pretty comfortable with something like a 3.2 (but I have high SAT’s, solid EC’s and my school has a connection). I think if you hit somewhere in the 1200’s (which for someone with a 3.95 shouldn’t be too hard) then I think you’d be a virtual lock regardless of when you apply.</p>

<p>Each year it gets harder and harder to be accepted to Miami and especially to receive a scholarship. This year I think you had to be above a 1350 to even be considered. </p>

<p>In an article I read about Miami moving up to #47 in the USNews list of top colleges, one of the Miami administrators was quoted as saying that the kids they used to give scholarships to several years ago would now not even be admitted.</p>

<p>I’d listen to hotpotato with caution, especially with your lack of extracurriculars. You can start to feel comfortable once you get a 1300, but then (as SVMMom said) I don’t think you can get a scholarship.</p>

<p>And hotpotato, I’d advise against feeling too comfortable with that GPA, too. Even if you have a really good SAT score. Keep in mind that 74% of admitted students had a GPA of 3.75 or higher. Only 5% had a GPA near or lower than yours, and most of those were probably athletes. Not saying you can’t get in, but make sure your application is <em>perfect</em>, and that you give a darn good reason for that GPA.</p>

<p>Ah, thanks for the replies guys! I do have a few more EC’s but they are things which i’m not to sure if they are that important. For example, junkanoo, which is a cultural event that schools participate in here. I am also in the top 5% of my class.</p>

<pre><code> However, I do want to know why you think I would have such trouble rankinr? Could you elaborate? My G.P.A is unweighted, as I said, and out of a 4.0 scale. I worked very hard for it in anticipation for college. I thought that with my G.P.A where it is, if I could get good SAT scores, I would atleast be in the talking for perhaps the 16,000 merit scholarship? Am I wrong in thinking this?
</code></pre>

<p>Thanks for your help!
Bigwoof</p>

<p>Bigwoof</p>

<p>Rankir was talking to hotpotato about gpa. Hotpotato’s gpa is 3.2. </p>

<p>Your UW GPA of 3.95 is great. Also you are top 5% which is great. I think if you get over 1400 you will get a scholarship.</p>

<p>I am guessing at the 1400, but last year it was 1350 and it keeps going up each year.</p>

<p>They are more generous in early admissions. Do early action, which I think is in Dec.</p>

<p>Good Luck!</p>

<p>At this point, it depends on your SAT or ACT score. My advice is to get a tutor. It is much better than the classes offered by Kaplan or Princeton Review. My sister did that and got 100 points higher than me (we have been about equal in everything in school since elementary school) and I took the classes.</p>

<p>You are in the Top 5% of your class which is one statistic which they look at heavily and the other is your SAT/ACT score so invest as much as you can in that since you cannot change anything else.</p>

<p>Bigwoof, I think you’re definitely in a good position! You’ll probably do very well on the SAT, and if you do you won’t have any problems getting in. A 3.95 unweighted GPA is about as good as it gets (perhaps even better than a 4.0… I know in med school admissions, the acceptance rate is actually better for a 3.95 GPA than a 4.0 GPA). I just wanted to emphasize the fact that you STILL need to study for the SAT. Don’t expect to come out with a 1300 and get a 24k+Singer scholarship. You still have to do well. But, certainly, you’re in a great position (definitely better than I was when I applied!)</p>

<p>Good luck, I hope to see you here!</p>