Chances next year? How to improve?

<p>Next year I am looking to apply for to major in Jazz Performance at Frost. I go to one of the most highly ranked and acclaimed high schools in the country, except unfortunately do not have the most incredible grades in the world. I do, however, believe that I have a tremendous amount to offer.</p>

<p>Freshman Year:
Math: C
Global: B+
Earth Science: B
English: B
Music Tech: A
Multimedia: A</p>

<p>Sophomore Year:
Italian: B
Math: B-
Global: A
English: B
Bio: B+
Photography: A</p>

<p>Extra Curriculars:
4 years of Summer music College Prep program
4 years of private guitar lessons
2 years performing band at music school- traveled around and played gigs
2 years of band with friends- played gigs, charity events, and recorded album
Co-founder and president of Music club at school- 3 years
1 year film club
2 years Alzheimers awareness club
Wrote articles for underground school newspaper
2 years environmental club
Played guitar in school music for 2 years
2 years played in school jazz band</p>

<p>What chance do you believe I have at UMiami, given that I increase my grades for the next two years to nearly straight A's, get a 2000+ SAT score, write a great essay, and get great recommendations? Will my freshman grades harm me?</p>

<p>Aside from your grades, the biggest concern that I have in seeing your schedule is your course rigor. Have you taken ANY honors classes? Are you in AP classes now? I cannot really even chance you without knowing your test scores, not to mention that UM will probably be even harder to get into by the time you apply. I’m not trying to be discouraging; I’m just being realistic. However, if you have a few AP classes this year, get straight a’s, or near straight a’s, score a 30+ on the ACT or a 1380+ (M+R) on the SAT, and write a solid essay, I’d say that you have a good chance of getting in.</p>

<p>I’m taking AP Bio this year, and am going to take AP Pysch and AP Music Theory next year. I was recommended for AP US, except due to a separate program within my school which I applied to and was accepted, I could not take it.</p>

<p>What about honors classes? Were all of your classes freshman year regular level?</p>

<p>My school only offers “honors” classes in Math and English- both of which you must take a qualifying exam, be recommended for, and be accepted into. They are essentially at the level of AP’s. There isn’t a single class that I have taken that is anywhere near equal to the average state curriculum, or nation-wide curriculum for that matter.</p>

<p>Be sure to mention that on your app, and you should be good.</p>