Chances? Perhaps an Appeal?

<p>Like many others, I was recently rejected from UW-Madison. While I'm certain they had their reasons, I was wondering whether or not I would stand even the most miniscule of chances with a successful appeal. This is my top school, so I'd be more than willing to put in the work. </p>

<p>My ACT was a 29 and with a GPA of about 3.75, I'm in the top 5% of my class. My GPA was brought down after a succession of deaths within my family (though not immediate family, two uncles and a cousin) after I failed a semester of a CAPP English class (which, thankfully, I wasn't taking for the CAPP credit). Other than that and a B in one semester of history, I earned all A's. In both my junior and senior year, I've taken all honors classes including AP Calculus, AP Chemistry, AP Physics, AP Literature, AP/CAPP Biology, and AP Psychology. On both the AP Calculus and AP Chemistry tests, I earned 4's (though I'm not certain Madison would have been made aware of that) and I have yet to take the exams for the other classes. </p>

<p>Outside of the classroom, I do a lot of tutoring, clean for disabled people within my community, participate in my school's marching/pep/concert bands, am in charge of a music program for the local church, am also in charge of maintaining computers for said church, and spent two years in PF Debate (though was forced to quit after the coach retired. Of these, debate was the only activity in which I could receive awards - I earned recognition from the NFL (degree of merit, etc. the things everyone gets) and my team took first in two tournaments. Both years I made it to state, though in the first year, my team literally left prior to the second day of rounds and in the second, didn't do too hot. Speaking of state,I am a Wisconsin resident. </p>

<p>I apologize if this is out of place, too presumptuous, and a little disorganized. Needless to say, I'm a little upset right now. </p>

<p>With all that said, how does one go about making an appeal? What should be included? If that English class was the source of all this, would it help to include a letter of recommendation from the teacher who taught the class? I intended to include it with my initial application, but it "slipped her mind" and she never sent it to Madison. </p>

<p>Thanks for taking the time to look over this. </p>

<p>I have never heard of an appeal, but in this thread from 4 years ago, someone heard of someone who supposedly appealed and then was admitted.</p>

<p>You could appeal, but you also need to make alternate plans.</p>

<p><a href=“http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/university-wisconsin-madison/662621-appeal-question-p1.html”>http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/university-wisconsin-madison/662621-appeal-question-p1.html&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p&gt;

<p>UW has too many good students who could succeed, they can’t accept all of them. You can appeal but be prepared with school B. You can apply for a transfer to UW for your second year, do well freshman year and you likely will get in.</p>

<p>From the website:
“For an appeal to have merit, it must bring to light new compelling academic and/or personal information, as well as details pertaining to extenuating circumstances that were not addressed in the initial application.”</p>

<p>There are more qualified applicants than slots. It stinks. With your stats and being a resident, I don’t know why you didn’t get in. I would for sure appeal, maybe there was a technical problem. </p>

<p>The student didn’t get in because another qualified student got in. If this student got in the other student would be facing his dilemma. They have to limit the numbers because there are only so many sections of the courses freshmen take- getting in but not being able to take the courses you want would be useless.</p>