3 varsity sports, captain of one team
Tutor
30 hour/week job three summers
Mission trip each summer
Around 100 hours of community service locally
Decent Essays
Minnesota Resident</p>

<p>Denied Admission?!?!?</p>

<p>I hate to sound like a sore, whiny, unhappy reject, but that's what I am - I'm f<strong><em>ing p</em></strong>ed!</p>

<p>Really? I think admissions needs to snap out of this crap and realize that they ain't Yale or Notre Dame. Last time I checked, Madison was still an enormous state school with a ~55% acceptance rate. </p>

<p>A few weeks ago I was cheering on my Badgers and excited as hell when they kept the axe. Now I hope Minnesota absolutely kills them in every single football, basketball, and hockey game in the forseeable future.</p>

<p>Becky Badgers suck</p>

<p>I’m not sure why they would have rejected you outright. Did you call and try to find out why? I don’t know if they would give you a specific reason, or not. At any rate, they do have an appeals process that I’m documenting below. Also, those stats of yours should get you several admissions offers.</p>

<p>Appealing a Decision
Every denied application has gone through extensive reviews. Therefore, for an appeal to have merit, it must bring to light new compelling academic and/or personal information, as well as details pertaining to extenuating circumstances that were not addressed in the initial application. Essentially, the appeal must present information that clearly shows the student to be stronger than had been earlier evidenced.</p>

<hr>

<p>Appeals must be written and submitted by the applicant. They should also be supported by appropriate documentation, as needed. The appeal letter must clearly outline the reasons for appealing and present new and compelling information. It should not simply repeat information that was presented at the time of application.</p>

<h2>It is our usual practice to respond to appeals within six weeks of the date we receive them. While all appeals are reviewed on a case-by-case basis, the rate of a decision being reversed based on an appeal has historically been very low. Appeals should be sent directly to the Office of Admissions.</h2>

<p>Something’s fishy in the hinderlands; have your guidance counselor call admissions…</p>

<p>Second Rodney. Be calm and ask for some answers. Maybe somebody entered your ACT as 23 instead of 33.</p>

<p>It can’t hurt to appeal. At the least, a phone call would be in order. </p>

<p>It may have come down to a demographic thing. Or, perhaps your essays put them off.</p>

<p>sorry about being kinda obnoxious - it’s just that I got back from captain’s practice last night and was in a bad mood and getting the letter put me in an even worse mood. I’ve been browsing this place for awhile and decided to get an account and kinda went off on a rant.</p>

<p>I’ve made an appointment with my counselor tommorow to go over things so hopefully I can make sure nothing was screwed up. I don’t think it was the essays cause I shared them with two of my English teachers and they thought that they were great. And coming from Northern Minnesota I don’t think demographics hurt me - I could see that more likely if I was from the Twin Cities.</p>

<p>I did say I’d apply for fin aid if that matters.</p>

<p>Thanks anyways though. I have applied/am applying to other schools (Notre Dame, UMN, Goergetown, Iowa, BC, Tulane) and honestly, although I thought UW was a safety, it was tied with Notre Dame as my favorite and I was seriously considering going there so it was kind of a big shock last night.</p>

<p>:(</p>

<p>ouchh, that sucks :frowning: & my stats aren’t as good as yours, but i was also considering it a safety. now i’m just plain nervous :|</p>

<p>let us know what happens; like I said earlier; something is definitely amiss</p>

<p>D, I doubt anyone blames you for being upset. You should be a slamdunk admit on paper. Something seems amiss.</p>

<p>They are really cracking down on OOS for sure this year. That sucks that you got rejected.</p>

<p>I don’t get it either. You should pursue what is going on.</p>

<p>There have been many instances this year (specifically on these boards) of kids with similar or even better thats than you getting rejected/postponed. You’d find them if you looked through, but I’ll post them:</p>

<p>Applicant w/ 34 ACT, 3.9 ACT, Excellent EC’s, 20something AP’s,—> Postponed (ShampooSwallower)</p>

<p>Applicant w/ 35 ACT, 3.8 GPA, good EC’s, Job, AP’s —> Postponed (LoonLake)</p>

<p>Applicant w/ 29 ACT, 3.5 GPA, OUTSTANDING EC’s, AP’s —> Rejected (Cody2010)</p>

<p>Applicant w/ 32 ACT, 3.5 GPA, AP’s, Good EC’s —> Postponed (HotIvy)</p>

<p>I myself had worse stats than all 4 of these people, AND the OP, and I was admitted 2 years ago. I think we have to accept the fact that Wisconsin is becoming the new Michigan and that students with near perfect records are going to start getting turned away.</p>

<p>To the OP: That really sucks. There’s nothing like getting rejected from your SAFETY. Best of luck trying to get into Notre Dame. Also, it actually might be worth your time to call UW to make sure they didn’t make a mistake.</p>

<p>This may seem like a stupid question, but what makes schools like UW favor instaters? Don’t out-of-staters pay more for tuition therefore making UW more money? I’m sure I’m missing part of the equation here</p>

<p>They don’t favor either. It really depends how many apps they get instate and OOS. Instate gets 65% of the slots and OOS 35% including Minn.</p>

<p>The University of Wisconsin limits out-of-staters to 25% (excepting Minnesotans, who are counted as in-state). This is a political decision by the university’s board. If they rejected too many in-state students there would be political hell to pay.</p>

<p>[UW-Madison</a> admissions myths: Applicants from outside Wisconsin are taking up spots that could go to state residents.](<a href=“http://www.news.wisc.edu/admissions/myth12.html]UW-Madison”>http://www.news.wisc.edu/admissions/myth12.html)</p>

<p>ALL public schools need to favor their own state residents- their mission is to educate the people of their state. Even though taxpayers are not paying the full bill they are supporting the institutions. Also note that the UW mission goes beyond educating college students- they are a resource for the people of the state as well.</p>

<p>I cannot speak to the number of applicants to UW, but a close friend is a dean at another state’s flagship university. They are receiving 30% more in state applicants over last year, and last year was a record in state applicant pool for them. She has two explainations. First, it is clear to applicants and their families that last year the institutional grants, as a percentage of total costs, to students was lower that any time in the past decade because of decreases in endowments while universities were continuing existing expansion projects. Second, the overall applicant pool is larger nationwide and this makes the competition more fierce for the perceived elite private and flagship public universities. She also said something interesting. There sometimes becomes a question in the admission officers’ minds as to whether an exceptionally strong applicant is using a flagship school as a “safety”, and then is a decision to defer in favor of a more “committed applicant” a more fair decision to the applicant pool and to a university wrestling with predicting their yield.</p>

<p>What wis75 said. It’s natural for state universities to want students of that state, for all those reasons.</p>

<p>I also hate people saying this school (or any other competitive school) is a safety for them, no matter what. You never know what will happen in the admissions process, and since it is competitive (albeit not as competitive as many other schools) and not a black and white admissions process, you generally cannot say it’s a safety. I mean, you can, but I personally wouldn’t consider it a safety for as many people who claim it’s their safety. </p>

<p>To OP, I don’t see why you were denied right away. If you were postponed, I could understand more. But to be outright denied is a little iffy. Make sure that nothing was screwed up, especially on your high school’s end. Were all your recs sent, was something wrong on your transcript, and so on.</p>

<p>If you’re really set on going here, appeal your decision. I remember at my orientation two years ago they were telling us about a student who got denied with a 35 ACT, 3.9 GPA, and nothing iffy about his application. He transferred later, and his counselor had no idea how he was denied in the first place. It happens, whether it makes sense or not. Sometimes people slip through the cracks. Try to make sure you aren’t one, and make sure nothing was amiss.</p>

<p>Edit:

</p>

<p>I’ve heard this moreso for smaller, less competitive state schools than bigger, more competitive state schools. As well, I would think they would postpone before denying right away, and if I had to guess, I would say that’s what they’re doing to some of these applicants. By the time they get back to their application, they know more about the applicant, and they know more about whom they’ve already accepted. I really don’t think denying strong applicants right away is part of this process (if it happens, and I think it does).</p>

<p>I really don’t think they are too worried about overall yield protection. I do think they are worried about keeping the OOS student number around where it is as the yield on OOS went down last year by a couple points. That would make me think they would accept a few more OOS just so they don’t have to go so deep on the wait list again. After hardly using the waitlist in the past, the last two years thy have take hundreds off it. That’s not good for anyone.</p>

<p>They went to their waitlist because they admitted fewer students than in the years prior to that when they ended up with more students than they expected. They want to admit as many as possible but not so many that typical freshman classes can’t be taken by all those who want them. One reason state schools have lower yields is that some of the best students do use their flagship as a safety. With the changing economy it is harder for schools to predict their yields- a balancing act I don’t envy them for.</p>