***Class of 2014 National Achievement Qualifying Scores***

<p>Hi Everyone,</p>

<p>197 in Texas got Outstanding Participant. I thought 196 was the cutoff for region 4, but I guess not.</p>

<p>So it sounds like we really don’t know what the cutoff for National Achievement semi-finalist will be. Disappointing.</p>

<p>@westcap, do you know someone with 197 in Texas who did NOT make semi-finalist?</p>

<p>Hmmm, it’s possible they switched up the regions from last year. </p>

<p>But I’m positive 196 qualified in IA, that was me.</p>

<p>Well Iowa is definitely a part of the Texas region</p>

<p>@minnymom. Have you heard anything?</p>

<p>Yes, my DD got a 197 in Texas. Her school drops the ball on stuff like this, so I called the National Merit office to find out when we would be officially notified. The person I spoke with said all schools should have their letters by 9/25. I then gave her my DD’s name and that is when she informed me that her records indicated that my DD would be receiving outstanding participant. I was shocked. Didn’t panic though. Thanked her for her time and hung up. </p>

<p>We will wait to see what the official letter says before we hit the panic button. Obviously we don’t want our DD to get an award she didn’t earn, but if she if she qualified for semifinalist then she needs to get it.</p>

<p>Ok thanks. Did anyone make semi-finalist in Texas with a score less than 200</p>

<p>I have not called National Merit Corp. Perhaps person who helped Wescap didn’t have all info. I will call on Monday. Really hoped 197 would garner Natl Achievement. </p>

<p>How did Yoskis confirm that 196 qualified in Region 4?</p>

<p>Thanks all!</p>

<p>Wescap,
Did you ask specifically about National Achievement and NOT National Merit? I called Wed about National Achievement (day National Merit announced) and was initially told that my child did not qualify with a 205. When I started asking about region 4 the person was confused for a moment before realizing that I was really asking about National Achievement, NOT National Merit and then found the name and told me that he had qualified. Hope that this helps and hope that you get it.</p>

<p>By the way, does anyone know the prompt for the essay for National Achievement? Is it the same for National Merit? We still have not received the letter from the school to sign in. Thanks</p>

<p>I confirmed that a 196 qualified when my counseler gave me the letter.</p>

<p>The prompt is the same</p>

<p>@ncmomma…Yes, I asked specifically about National Achievement. When I gave her my DD’s name her info popped up because she had the correct H/S. Plus, I didn’t think a 197 would warrant a National Merit outstanding participant. Before I hung up I did say that I heard the qualifying score was below my DD’s score. Then I thought how silly I would sound saying that I got the score info from a blog, so I dropped it.</p>

<p>I hope it was just an oversight. I’m sure they have been getting a ton of phone calls. Either way, I will be calling the office back on Monday morning. Congrats to everyone that has officially made the cutoff, and good luck to all who are still waiting.</p>

<p>I know there is plenty of venting on the other two threads but I will Add one more thing.
The press release day is sept. 25. The last Day to register for nov. SAT is oct. 3 (without late fee) kids and parents need to be on top of this. S is border depending on regions and I am not sure his SAT from oct. 2012 would qualify.<br>
In fact, we are going with the outstanding participant for now
But this run around is riduculous for the other people.</p>

<p>Ok guys, here is the latest. I just called the national merit office. My DD got outstanding participant. According to the person I spoke with qualifying scores are by state not region. So, the qualifying score in Texas is higher than 197. Ouch!!!</p>

<p>Congrats and Good Luck to everyone!!!</p>

<p>Semi-Finalist…don’t forget to register for the SAT! I am an ‘ACT kid’, but rushed to get signed up for the SAT. Paid almost a $30 late fee to take the Sept exam since I can’t do it in Dec… and don’t want to wait until November, in case something comes up.</p>

<p>Let the games begin!</p>

<p>HSG</p>

<p>@Wescap. That’s a new policy. See the document attached on Page 9. I hate to hear that because my DD is located in a high cutoff state for NM.</p>

<p><a href=“http://nationalmerit.org/annual_report.pdf[/url]”>http://nationalmerit.org/annual_report.pdf&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p&gt;

<p>Just called and they said that the number of semi-finalist are determined by region but the cutoff can vary by state within the region. So Texas could have a higher cutoff than another state in the same region.</p>

<p>I just called Natl Merit and they would not release any information to me over the phone. Wescap and others, how we’re you able to get specific detail about your child or scores? Thank you!</p>

<p>I called and asked for the National Achievement Department. Then I asked if they could tell me if I was an Outstanding Participant. The lady asked my name and the name of my high school (and I think my state). She then said that I was a semi finalist (great, unexpected news).
I told her my school had not said a thing. She stated that they sent them the information August 30 so I might want to check with the Principal or my counselor.</p>

<p>Maybe you should have your child call him or herself? Not sure it that is what helped me get the information?? (my parents on BIG on supporting us by helping us do things ourselves…nice is theory, but sometimes a pain!).
Also, did you get connected to the NA department or get stopped at the main number? I did not mention, at the main NM number, why I was calling. I just asked for the NA office (my dad told me to do that!).</p>

<p>HSG
I have since found out that the school is giving information and packets to National Merit kids this week. Not sure if they will do National Achievement then or wait until the Sept. 25 release date.</p>

<p>After the above information about regional being different than State cut-offs, I made the phone call also. I didn’t ask for the National Achievement Program but they confirmed that information had been sent to the school earlier in the month–and the records show that no action had happened on the school’s part. I tried to get more information and asked if my son should sign up for the SAT and he said The information needs to come from the school until the press release date. I think it looks good if information was sent because from my reading here it looks like “commended and outstanding participant” certificates get mailed out separately later in the month.
All this detective work…</p>