UMich - instate choice but only a small loan package
Loyola Chicago - 22k merit
Indiana University - no merit
Michigan State
UPitt - full scholarship but unsure about room and board

Deferred
Georgetown, still waiting
Emory, still waiting

I’m am a Mich alum and would love to keep her close but with no scholarship yet from Michigan it’s difficult to make that choice when she has a scholarship from the Pitt. the nursing programs are both top-ranked but it’s the Alumni network that I’m unsure of Michigan’s is global Pittsburgh is not. These are her top choices as well. She definitely wants to get her Master’s. Pitt also offers three year guarantee commitment for a job in UPMC Network post graduating. How hard is it to find nursing jobs after school? I thought that they are in demands but not sure for recent grads.

Another update on D’s selection process. This will be a busy month as we find out if we are accepted to Nursing at SDSU, Honors at OSU and see once and for all if that allows for direct entry Nursing there. Will visit nursing facilities at those schools and 3 others this month.

Recap: D (San Diego CA) has applied for Nursing at 17 schools.

SDSU received full-tuition scholarship and acceptance to Weber Honors; will visit Open House 3/17; waiting for decision regarding direct entry Nursing acceptance
U of Cincinnati direct entry nursing and Honors; $8500/yr Visit scheduled late Mar
Xavier direct entry Nursing, $19.7k/yr incl books. Visit Scheduled late Mar; invited to St Francis full-tuition scholarship on-campus interview but can’t make due to scheduling conflict; this may be too small
Ohio State – Accepted pre-Nursing, $15k/yr; waiting on Honors; Visit scheduled late Mar; direct entry for Honors?
UT Knoxville for direct entry Nursing, $15k/yr - Great value, good program, Visit scheduled late Mar
Belmont accepted to Nursing and Honors, $10k/yr; may visit campus in March. Did not receive the Faculty scholarship which at extra $15k/yr would have gone a long way toward generating interest here.

Gonzaga - direct entry nursing $19k/yr, Visited mid-Feb; good program but too small
Seattle U, direct entry nursing $24k/yr - Visited mid-Feb; No; doesn’t like Quarters; low school spirit
U of Portland, direct entry nursing $21k/yr – Visited mid-Feb; small but nice; this is a maybe
U San Francisco - direct entry nursing and Honors $25k/yr, Visited and deemed too expensive and no study abroad opportunity (missed deadline to apply for supplemental $20k total scholarship)

Not currently planning on visiting any others but this may change.
Azusa Pacific accepted but waiting to hear if she is in for Nursing, $19k/yr - D low excitement level vs some others
Marquette for direct entry Nursing, $14k – too expensive
Winona State for pre-Nursing (easier to later be accepted to program) in-state tuition plus $3.5k (total value about $9.5k/yr) - Cheapest however D not sure about interest level.
CSULB – accepted pre-Nursing; strong program and great value but without direct entry nursing this is too risky vs acceptances
CSUCI – accepted pre-Nursing; safety school no longer needed

Deferred to RD:
Boston College - too expensive and D no longer interested
TCU - even with expected $21k/yr merit this is too expensive vs acceptances

I thought USFCA does have a nursing study abroad program! I saw that nursing students went to Florence, Italy on their instagram I believe?

During campus visit to USF they bluntly stated there was no time in the schedule for Nursing students to participate in those study abroad opportunities that are promoted on their website. They did say at extra cost students could go during summer.

Did your D get in EA at USF?

Yes, she applied 10/30 and was accepted 12/16.

Hi I agreed - no time in the schedule because all / most of the classes are pretty much set & it doesnt seem easy to do a study abroad & be away from your classes & clincials during the school year

And there are a few other options ( summer & shorter ones during breaks )
that will still allow your D to have some sort of study abroad experiences:
for example, my D did a couple :
She went on a study abroad during summer & also went on a couple more "study abroad - like " programs during the school year, Fall breaks & Spring breaks.
Some of these shorter programs will be in a 3rd world country learning things / special topic, while some are in the US, it just depends on what your college offers.
Some may cost more than the others while some offer fin aid or are not expensive.

You may want to check the fin aid package to see if it will cover summer classes or summer study abroad program.

edit sorry for my typos

so glad this page was made - seems like nursing is not a hot topic on this forum, but with an increase in interest in the field I think it’s great to spread admissions info.
state: new jersey
ACT: 32
GPA: 4.0 uw/4.28 w
school type: public
deferred: UVA (have a brother there) and Northeastern
accepted: UMich, UMiami (20k scholarship), Villanova, UWashington-Seattle, Rutgers NB, Case Western (15k scholarship), UFlorida, Pitt (with honors offer), Clemson (15k), Temple (honors offer), UConn (18k), and McGill.
still waiting on UPenn and UNC-Chapel Hill
If you have any questions about the admissions process for yourself or your child who is interested in nursing, feel free to message me on here. :slight_smile:

Yes so glad to see this info! My son was accepted at
Saint Anselm (honors with $24k merit)
Fairfield $20k merit
UVM $15k merit
TCNJ no money
UPitt $7k
U of New England $16k
Deferred and waiting on Villanova, BC, Northeastern, Clemson and UMass Amherst

Pretty sure now it’s between Saint As and UVM! We can’t beat the merit at Saint As and with 100% Nclex pass rate and clinical / preceptorships at Boston Children’s and the other top US Boston hospitals, what’s not to love!!
And if anyone else has just seen the latest story that originated on CNN about hospitals giving huge sign on bonuses to nurses and trying to entice them to come work and the need by 2022 for 1 million new nurses it is a great time to be starting your nursing career!

This site was so helpful when my older daughter was applying to colleges two years ago. I have not had time to engage this time around but thought it was helpful to hear what other experiences were, this time was the first for Nursing and here’s how we ended up:

GPA - 3.74 UW
ACT - 25, 27 superscore
Two medical internships
D - white - Northern California

Accepted in Nursing/Pre-Nursing:
Seattle U - Accepted - 22K
U of Portland - 18K
Baylor - 18K
Regis - 18K
Creighton - 19K
Belmont - 4K

Deferred:
TCU

Rejected:
Gonzaga

This has been a fascinating process and we cast a wide net hoping to cover our bases as we knew how competitive Nursing is. Grateful to have so many great choices.

I saw that article too! @Momtofourkids The market is looking good. I will share it here with everyone. http://money.cnn.com/2018/03/08/news/economy/nurse-hiring-bonuses/index.html

@collegecrazies thanks for sharing I could not get it to load from my iphone!

My D:

Accepted:
Xavier University
St. Louis University
University of Alabama
University of Tennessee
University of Pittsburgh

Denied - UPenn

Awaiting response:
University of North Carolina Chapel Hill
Drexel University
Northeastern University
University of Miami
Emory University
Case Western University
Villanova University

Accepted:
University of San Francisco (university scholar award of $25k/year)

Waitlisted:
CSUF

Rejected:

Awaiting:
SDSU
UPenn
Northeastern
Boston College

Posting in hopes this helps someone next year. I would have loved this info when we were looking at schools.
We are in New England. My daughter applied only to direct entry programs

GPA 3.56
SAT 1230
Mix of Honors, AP and regular classes
Good EC’s including hospital volunteer and part time job, along with others

Attending:
Sacred Heart University. It was her favorite from the start

Accepted:
Quinnipiac
University of Scranton
Salve Regina
URI
Endicott
University of New England
Pace

Accepted for alternate major
University of New Hampshire
UCONN

Awaiting:
Fairfield. But doesn’t matter at this point

Good luck to everyone!

From MA

GPA: 3.77 UW/3.99 W
SAT: 1240
CP, Honors, and AP classes

Accepted:
Umass Boston
Umass Lowell
Umass Dartmouth
Niagara
Simmons
MCPHS
UNH

Awaiting:
Umass Amherst

Hi all! Hope to see some of you if you are attended temple next fall. I’ll be a nursing major. I live in PA and my test scores aren’t the greatest, but I’m very strong academically and have a ton of extracurriculars. Applied temple option and honestly didn’t think my essays were great, but needed to submit them because now or never, right? Applied early October, got put on hold in November, and accepted middle of December, perfect Christmas gift! Also found out in January I am a receipient if the J. Russell Fawley nursing scholarship which includes full tuition, books, and clinical fees for all 4 years. Temple was my top school in comparison to others I applied to (got denied from 2 of my tops) and temple seemed like the best fit, program wise and financially. Temple Experience Day really gives u a ton of info on the program and the students love what they are doing and how supportive the faculty is and I couldn’t of picked a better school to attend. Good luck to you all over the next two months, can’t believe it’s almost decision day!

Figure I jump in and give me daughters story.

We are down to Stockton University and TCNJ for nursing, both in state for us (NJ). She thinks that TCNJ may be too “hard” for her, since she scored on the lower end of the SAT range for TCNJ. TCNJ has a very good regional reputation here in the mid Atlantic/northeast. I have heard that it does have some weed-out classes (anatomy and psychology, etc.) Both are reasonably priced ( Stockton will cost us 23k after a $4000 scholarship and TCNJ will cost us 30k…no merit there). She also was accepted into:

Fairfield- 20k in merit
Quinnipiac- 18.5 in merit
Catholic University (liked this school the best but not direct-admit (must take and pass the HSEA exam with a 75% and my daughter does not want to take another standardized test so soon, lol). 26k in merit
Sacred Heart- 17k in merit
Delaware - no merit

I wouldn’t mind only paying 23k for Stockton but I feel that I should push her for TCNJ, since it is considered a better school. Even though I keep hearing that there is not that much difference in nursing schools, assuming they are decent nursing programs.

Any advice…Stockton or TCNJ?

@Jlcd2000 my daughter had similar stats and in the end decided not to apply to UConn (my alma mater) and I am glad she didn’t bother as she would likely have had the same result!

@ameganrod Not familiar with those 2 programs but how are the NCLEX pass rates at both and when do they start nursing classes? Some schools don’t start until junior year.