Class of 2022 Nursing Admissions

@Jlcd2000 - they both have NCLEX pass rates in the low to mid 90’s. And thy start nursing classes in the sophomore year.

@Jlcd2000 My daughter is looking at a few of the same colleges. We are heading up to Sacred Heart’s admitted nursing student day next week. What made your daughter decide on Sacred Heart?

@ameganrod We visited TCNJ but not Stockton. My daughter liked TCNJs campus but the nursing program is very small…I think they said 30 or so students per class? I do not know how large Stockton’s program is. Also ask what locations and hospitals the clinicals are in. The closest city to TCNJ is Trenton, which can be dangerous.

@collegecrazies Part was just the “feel” of the campus and students when we toured. We then did a nursing open house in the fall and were very impressed with the faculty and new health sciences building. They very much presented a program that really cares about the students and helps them succeed. They have a 95-97 percent pass rate. She also likes that nursing classes start sophomore year. They have some nursing mission trips that interest her as well.

@collegecrazies Actually I think Stockton has the smallest nursing class, 36 students. I heard that is the smallest in NJ. TCNJ I think has around double that but I could be wrong. We are going to the accepted students days for both schools, so hopefully that helps. Stockton has clinicals very close to the school and very safe, from what I hear. Thxs for the input!

University of Washington UW Seattle Pre-Nursing: My daughter was just accepted pre-nursing. In case anyone finds this helpful, I emailed the school of nursing to find out more on the path to BSN and was told that in 2017, 611 students applied to the BSN program and 96 were admitted.

Similar stats to pre-nursing CSULB and SFSU, both publishing statistics on receiving about 600 BSN applicants and accepting between 80 and 90.

Good luck future nurses!

@minivanmom To be clear - with pre-Nursing programs there is initial acceptance into the school and then after some history (toward end of freshmen year, for example) students apply to the Nursing program. The risk of later not being admitted into a Nursing program is high. From your stats it looks like this number is only 15%. Is that right?

Yes, correct. 15% of the pre-nursing students and any transfer students are admitted to the actual BSN program at UW (and about the same statistics on CSULB and SFSU).

Students that are pre-nursing typically apply mid-sophomore year for the upper-division nursing major. The applicant pool is both continuing pre-nursing students and transfer students and, clearly, very competitive!

My daughter has options for direct-entry but I contacted the UW School of Nursing to see if pre-nursing might be a fit for her and they replied with those specific numbers.

Thanks @minivanmom that’s very helpful and solidifies our approach to consider only direct entry schools. The other consideration is that students enrolled in a direct entry program have cleared the major hurdle. Rather than being in a competitive environment for pre-Nursing students the direct entry students can find themselves in a Nursing family where the students support each other. So at those pre-Nursing schools the students not later admitted (the 85%) find other majors, transfer to other schools or try again later? That’s crazy.

And I’m not even sure where they will transfer if they want to stay on the West Coast, given the numbers and available spots. UW says the BSN programs out here are impacted due to the clinical experience - the schools have to limit numbers of nursing students to be sure they have enough/appropriate clinical experience. They are trying to solve this problem and increase admissions with more sim labs.

@ameganrod My S got into TCNJ, a lot of family and grandparents went there. We live in MA and he will be attending another school - mostly because TCNJ very heavy on the NJ students and would feel a little strange being only the 10% from OOS.

HOWEVER - that school is a hidden gem - great reputation, good clinicals and the name is only going to grow in recognition from what I read. US News has been listing it as a top school - They are really trying to grow their OOS student population in hopes of growing the name recognition. I do not know Stockton and have actually not heard of it but from what I read here it seems like a good program.
Good luck

just got into sdsu nursing!

Do not go to MCPHS for their nursing program - looks good on paper, but they are having serious issues with faculty
and the program in general

Hoping to get some feedback. Anyone know much about these nursing (bsn) programs:

• St. Louis University
  • Azusa Pacific
  • University of Portland
  • Gonzaga
    Any and all info would be greatly appreciated. Decisions are so hard.

Have you already heard from the APU nursing program?

My D was admitted to 3 of the 4. She didn’t apply to SLU but it looks like a great program. They are all direct entry which is key. The 3 we applied to gave roughly 20k/yr merit. So far she has visited UP and GU. For Nursing they are both strong with nearby hospitals for clinical rotations which I believe start 2nd semester of sophomore year or start of Jr year. D learned that GU has half its nursing students on a 9 semester plan and the other half on the traditional 4 year plan. They all graduate together and the 9 semester kids have their merit money awarded to the final semester. With the extra time they have more opportunities for minor and study abroad. Both are D1 sports schools (no football) with about 4 or 5000 UG kids.

UP had 2-year Nursing scholarship through one of the local hospitals. It’s pretty competitive but 2nd year students apply and the 20 or so selected agree to work at that hospital after they graduate (3 year commitment). And the hospital pays for the final 2 years of tuition. Paid tuition and guaranteed work experience? Yes, please.

APU is another highly rated Nursing program. While we haven’t visited (and may not) I’ve read it’s a large and respected program with about a third of students there studying nursing. D concerned with student life and the rigor of extra religion classes and what we’ve heard is the expectation to attend chapel 3x weekly. Even though D received a very high scholarship there and is admitted she won’t be notified if she is accepted for Nursing until 4/1. Sports are D2 and include football.

My daughter’s college had both an 8 and a 9 semester nursing program. That was great because if a student failed to get the needed grade in a required class, they had a good chance of re-taking the class in the next semester instead of having to wait a full year. If needed, they had the option of dropping down to the 9 semester program, if they started in the 8. At other colleges, your only option in case of a serious illness etc. is to stretch the program out to 5 years instead of 4.5.

However, keep in mind that almost all merit based and need based aid programs are only offered for 8 semesters, so a 9th semester is often at the full sticker price .

@Jlcd200 - did you visit Pace? My daughter applied and was accepted with a VERY generous merit package. We haven’t visited. Could you please share any info or insight you have into the school/program? We live in California so a visit requires planning, preparation and plane tickets… Based on the size of the school (small) my daughter thinks it is probably not worth the trip. We would appreciate any info you can offer. Thank you in advance.

@RobotMom18 We are in CT and did visit. They were very generous with merit for my daughter too. In the end it was too small for her. They have all the sim labs but the nursing building was a bit older than others she saw. The program has a great pass rate and the access to NYC is a plus too. They seemed very focused on giving students the support they need to succeed. Hope this helps. Any other questions please let me know!

Accepted into Boston College for Nursing! I’m afraid to look at the financial aid awards though…