Class of 2023 Nursing Admissions

Hi @evance
My DD too is looking at it from a big picture / long range perspective and at the same time trying to find a balance of what she wants out of her college experience.
She already has 2+ years of hospital work exposure, granted as a daily volunteer, but nonetheless she believes to have a good handle on what post college work is going to be and the career path she wants to take. Whilst achieving a BSN, having a good amount of clinicals under the belt and passing the NCLEX boards she also recognizes this will be the only time she gets to experience (to the extent time permits) classic college activities like joining a sorority, going to football/basketball/hockey games, etc., maybe even go abroad if possible.
With that optic, she said the cons seem to outweight the pros on Cleveland & CWRU. The misreable cold & wet snow we had Sunday & Monday did not help at all either.

@bigmacbeth, with regards to clinicals, my DD is trying to gather all the possible information from the schools and current nursing students. With some exeptions (CWRU is one), many urban shools require a bus, shuttle, uber or very long walk to the nearby clinics andd hospitals vs. a car drive where applicable. Yes, sophmore year onwards she will have a car.
Did she sleep over? Yes, she did do the overnight stay and I think «hanging out» with a CWRU nursing student was where she made up her mind. As I posted earlier, my DD thinks CWRU is a much better place to attend and will ap[ply to again as a graduate student.

I will add that the proximity of Cleveland Medical, Cleveland Clinic, VA Medical is indeed an major plus for any Nursing or Medical student attending CWRU.

^^^ one additional small detail, CWRU’s after scholarship total COA is coming in around $20k to $25k per year mor than most other accepted schools and unless DD was absolutely thrilled and wowoed, no reason for all to incur the not so smal additional expense.

@yukiharu One other thing to keep in mind is that you may still be accepted to CWRU. They often defer high-stat students, and later offer an acceptance (often with merit) if additional interest is shown in the school (e.g. updated grades are sent or a email is sent expressing continued interest). Of course, this is only if you are interested. Boston is a great place, if affordable, and I hear good things about UMinn, too
midwest nice.

Yes, at most schools, a student should assume they will need a reliable car when clinicals start. They often start or end at odd hours, and some are likely to be a significant distance away. For the hospital that was the main site of clinicals for my daughter, the students were required to use the college’s shuttle bus because the hospital didn’t want the students taking up spaces in their parking deck during weekday mornings and afternoons.

@eric4532 my DD got her acceptance for Ramapo yesterday. We are still waiting on a few more (TCNJ, Drexel).

She plans on going to accepted students day at Ramapo and Stockton and decide from there. Good luck with whatever you decide!

Congrats on Ramapo @debbdowner !

Way to go @yukiharu on all your hardwork and acceptances at so many great schools. Either BC or UMN will be a great choice

@readthetealeaves I also got accepted into CSULB’s nursing program. I’m waiting on several more! Here are my stats that I submitted to colleges:
ACT 33
SAT 1470
GPA 4.61
Class Rank 2/560
I also had nearly 400 community service hours in various locations (hospitals, nursing homes, schools, recreation centers), was a student council officer for 4 years, member of CSF & NHS for 3 years, participated in choir, 3 years of competitive volleyball (school & club team), was selected for the ALA Girls State Leadership Program, & created my own club geared towards students interested in medicine/donating funds to She’s the First Charity. I also submitted 3 SAT Subject Tests (Math 2, Bio M, & Korean). My essays & statements were geared towards my activities/background instead of my scores/stats.

Are you in state California or OOS @vshleykim? Congrats on CSULB pre-nursing as well as UC Irvine direct nursing! Those are some nice stats. Was the 4.61 weighted CA? Please keep us posted and continued good luck on the several more!

@readthetealeaves Thank you so much! I’m a CA resident. And I’m not so sure about the GPA, sorry; I’ll get back to you when I find out!

My daughter
SAT: N/A
ACT: 31
GPA: 4.0 unweighted/4.6 weighted
HS Rank: 2/307
AP/Honors classes: 12 APs/almost all others Honors
NHS Officer, SGA, President of Key Club, Math Team, Mock Trial Team, Captain of Varsity Field Hockey team,National Thespian Society member, over 4,000 volunteer hours, HOBY (Hugh O’Brien Youth Leadership) Alumni Ambassador Team Leader, IEA Equestrian competition riding, school rep to the County School Board, started her own non-profit and provided 60 backpacks (full of school supplies) to two local Title 1 schools, part-time job for 3.5 years.

Accepted (all EA):
University of Pittsburgh (minor scholarship)
Villanova (waiting financial info)
Otterbein (1/2 tuition scholarship & honors)
Scranton (1/2 tuition scholarship) (scholarship)
Alvernia (1/2 tuition scholarship)

Still waiting:(RD) University of Pennsylvania

Deferred:
Georgetown
Case Western Reserve
Northeastern

Waitlisted:
Rutgers

Rejected:
UVA

She wants to end up with a DNP or maybe go to med school. She is interested in working critical care with a specialty in peds. She wants to work in a city/university hospital. She loves Pittsburgh, number one right now! The Oakland area is really nice and the nursing school is next to one of the 40 hospitals in the UPitt medical network. Villanova is her second choice. However, if she gets into UPenn, she will probably go there.

HI @LCO , your daughter is in a very good position. Congrats to her on her EA acceptances and merit. Sorry about UVA. Good luck with her first choice and the deferred and waitlisted schools. Thanks for sharing her experience with us. With all her choices already she will be a successful nursing student wherever she lands

Nursing has the lowest acceptance rate of all first year programs at UVa. If you are out of state, it is much much tougher. My daughter didn’t even apply, even though she was a legacy.

.UVA nursing is the hardest UVA major to get into. 14% acceptance rate for Virginia residents. 10% for out of state.
In-state students don’t have much of an advantage.

My daughter was pleased to have been deferred from early to regular. Fingers crossed, but the chances are so low, she will probably get waitlisted and end up going somewhere else.

I think part of the problem with the low acceptance rate is that the only other Virginia state school that has direct admit nursing is Longwood University. Unfortunately, Longwood is not usually a preferred choice for academically successful students.

Yes, most BSN programs south of the Mason Dixon line are not direct entry. I suggest that students take a look at the very large number of direct entry BSN programs available in PA.

Yes, my daughter only applied to direct admit nursing programs. We live in Maryland, and it looks like she will be going to get her BSN in Pennsylvania!

My Ds are both RN & working now. I know a few years ago when my daughter applied to UVA Nursing ( she graduated from UVA last year ), we had talked about the application being a " either you get in or you don’t get in"
there is no 2nd choice major
They don’t allow potential high school applicant to fall back on the default college of art & science, if the applicant does not get into Nursing, then he/she does not get into UVA. Period. Talk about stressful.

Looking back now, I can started to see the positive side of 2+2 / Pre-Nursing, colleges with pre-nursing allow students to gauge their interest to see if this is the right fit for them, eventhough they have to go thru another stressful process of applying later, they get a chance to study another major / switch colleges / change their mind.

They get so many applicants & with only 75(???) 1st year slot available, there really is no way to predict the outcome. Each class has aprx 88 students, so they have another 10-ish slot available for transfer during the 2nd year.

Good luck everyone

sorry for any typos

Quick question - did anyone here who applied for Bloomsburg scholarship actually get one? D19 got no merit in the financial letter she just got today, just loans and work-study.
Just puzzled because she got (small) merit awards from both Pitt & IUP.

Have been following this website and have found posts to be very helpful so wanted to share my daughter’s experience. Hope it helps others.

SAT: 1390
GPA: 3.8 unweighted/ 4.26 weighted
HS Rank: does not rank
State: NY student seeking larger school further south
AP/Honors classes: 6 APs/9Honors
ECs: NHS, language NHS, 4 year varsity athlete, capt. sr. year, couple of school clubs, many volunteer hours and leadership positions with a couple of volunteer activities outside school during the 4 years, part time job

Accepted (all EA):
U of Kentucky (2+2) ($10k per year merit)
U of South Carolina ($15k per year merit) (2+2)
Indiana U (2+2) ($6K per year merit)
U of Alabama (2+2) ($20k per year merit)
Towson (2+2) ($10K per year merit)

Deferred:
U of Miami - but crossed off list due to cost/benefit

Rejected:
PennState (UP)(direct)
Villanova (direct)
Clemson (direct)

Was hoping to have a direct option but didn’t play out. Thankful for the merit with the 2+2s and she seemed to like those schools better overall. Saw comment earlier on getting in nursing at UVA being so competitive. In our experience, at every direct admit school nursing has lowest admission rate of every major. At the 2+2s it is also very competitive moving to upper division. Good luck to all

@TorisMom Thank you for sharing your daughter’s experience with getting into nursing. She has great accomplishments, acceptances, and merit and will, I am sure, have a triving nursing career! Which is her top pick? How have you decided?

For newbies looking at these acceptances, the 2+2s can be a great situation. You have the traditional college life aspect along with the nursing major. You attend classes with all the other majors at first. The major doesn’t typically start till junior year and you get all your prerequisites done before that. When doing a 2+2 one must be ready to reapply end of sophomore year, take certain tests, have a specific grade point average or higher, not get lower than a B or C in certain classes and fulfill site specific to dos. Some 2+2 schools move many forward at that junior year others only a small percentage. If the student knows these admissions stats for the particular school they choose they can work toward these goals and have great success