Class of 2023 Nursing Admissions

@Bonchien Who did you contact to inquire why your DD was not accepted to SDSU? I Am interested just out of curiosity for my DD. She did have a 670 on the SAT for math.

@Bonchien Thanks for the additional information about SDSU admissions process. It’s interesting that the SDSU’s own freshman profile for nursing shows an average ACT composite of 28. That seems too low based on what folks have reported.

Congrats again on the UCI decision.

@EngTchrMom The SDSU nursing department told us all admissions decisions are performed by the office of admissions. We contacted the office of admissions both by phone and via e-mail (admissio@sdsu.edu). The information about the ACT Math score was via the e-mail response. They did not tell us what the minimum score on the ACT Math was to be admitted, but that D’s score was below the cut off.

Thanks, Banker1. D is very excited about attending UCI.

@javamama3 Kudos on the decision to attend Seattle University Nursing! Now on to the planning for the fall!

Hey guys, I have a question. I am part of class of 2024, but does anyone have any info about MCPHS Accelerate BSN program ( 3 year direct entry for high school students) I looked at the nclex rates and the controversy regarding the makrs and everything but the rates have seemed to have gone up and they have cooperated with ccne. Does anyone think MCPHS is a good idea educational wise.

@SobyHaidari I would be very careful with a program that has high tuition, warnings from the state and continuing concerns about how small the facilities are, lower NCLEX rates, and a president that makes more than Harvard’s. Here are the articles. Since you have time why not apply to other instate colleges that have higher pass rates and less troubled program?

https://www.bostonglobe.com/metro/2017/07/31/boston-nursing-program-gets-warning-from-state/LnSDqu4sgSVv1Csui25a7K/story.html

https://www2.bostonglobe.com/metro/2017/08/07/boston-health-sciences-school-struggles-improve-academics-facilities/qpObsYpmkRqLbRI0W7jvXJ/story.html

Yeah, that’s what I was worried about as well. The main thing about instate schools for me is that I am from California and the only direct entry bsn programs here re UCI, UCLA, USF, CSUF, and Dominica. They are really competitive to get into and CSUF is impacted. I’ll definitely apply and if I get in I will consider going there for it’s affordability.

Hi, my name is Soby. I am a junior male uw/3.8 w/4.2 as of right now not semester, taking my sat this summer in multiple extracurriculars youth council, 2 years of student body, calhosa, mens leadership academy volunteers for multiple healthcare events, california care force, uc davis med center, mercy san juan trauma center. In multiple internships such as ucd and msj. Taking college level nursing classes right now. When it comes to grades my school changes it pretty well. So my uw gpa probably for the semester will be 4.0 and uw 4.5 or 4.4. What are my chances of getting into these schools.

Umass Boston
Seattle University
UW
UCLA
UCI
UNH
UI
University of Cincinnati
MCPHS

@SobyHaidari: San Diego State is direct admit for Nursing along with Azusa Pacific.

Hi @SobyHaidari Congrats on your gpa stats so far! Be sure to study hard for the SATs. Read thru this thread and the 2022 thread. California is tough for CA residents but if you keep getting As and your SAT/ACT is high you will have a good chance. In California you must apply far and wide both instate and out. Azuza and Point Loma in CA are direct but have religious requirements and are expensive. UCLA is a long shot for everyone but they consider the whole applicant as does UCI. SDSU and CSUF go based on gpa and sat/act scores only and are very popular with few spots just like UCI and UCLA. Dominican and USF are easier to get into but can often be very costly due to Bay Area living and private tuition. The other schools you mentioned are good solid schools as well (UNH, UI and U of Cincinnati) and all have their positives but are expensive out of state. MCPHS I already mentioned has some issues and if I were you with your stats I would avoid. @Gumbymom has told how to figure out your UC or CSU gpa multiple times on this thread and others and I urge you to continue to calculate that along with collecting more As this semester. Be careful with college classes unless they are DE so that you still remain a “freshman” when entering college. You being a male will help at some schools and be insignificant at others. Your chances are good but a lot of people are disappointed in CA so make sure you have multiple options. Good luck

SDSU admission is stats based and rigor and grades for individual courses also matter in addition to the overall CSU GPA. PLNU has a gorgeous campus but alas, it isn’t direct entry. An NP friend was explaining that her freshman D is a pre-nursing student there. Coming in they were told that while not direct entry that later admission to the nursing program isn’t problematic for high GPA kids. However, they were recently informed that there is actually space for only 80 of the 120 students in the program. They feel misled.

@Banker1 that stinks about the PLNU spaces - that’s a large amount of kids left out.

That has been a problem for my daughter’s school as well. It’s a hybrid program where a certain number are admitted directly and then there are X spaces left for pre-nursing majors to get into the program for sophomore year. This year, my daughter’s freshman year, so many pre-nursing majors attended that many dropped out of the program mid-year merely because of the numbers. There are a relative handful of spaces left for sophomore year compared to kids who want to get in. They have gotten more selective on their direct admits, they might have to do the same on pre-nursing.

Luckily my daughter is a direct admit, but still that’s heart breaking. We didn’t even look at schools that were not direct admit, and I’m sure we passed up some great schools, but it was that important to her (and me).

@SobyHaidari My daughter is in the nursing program at the University of Cincinnati. Let me know if I can help answer any questions. Cincinnati has made a huge push in the last couple years to admit male nursing students.

@Banker thanks for the PLNU update. They told us no problem moving through the program when we spoke with them late last year

To make it worse for those kids who are not directly admited, many schools also take transfer students from other schools, including CCs, who can take spots away from pre-nursing students at the school.

@Banker1 That’s too bad for your friends D at PLNU. During my D’s interview with PLNU, she asked how many of the pre-nursing students normally get admitted to the nursing program. The admissions officer told my D that PLNU has never had a pre-nursing student that wanted to get into the nursing program not get in. It seems like this has changed, or the information that’s being spread by PLNU admissions is incorrect.

Update on my daughter’s school choice. She is headed to U Alabama Capstone School of Nursing.
A few reasons why - which may help 2024 potential nurses:

1. A full tuition ride given her grades / testing.
  2. Highly ranked undergraduate BSN program
  3. Size of the program is impressive - with the aim to have 3 full classes per Junior and Senior year (at 2 full classes and one partial at the moment). Impressive, large faculty, deep connections post graduation
  4. It’s not a direct admit program - the only non-direct she applied to. But my DD came to realise that was actually an advantage for her – she can be a regular student for 1.5 years, join a sorority, enjoy student classes, meet and study with broad range of students and not be anchored with the same 100 kids for 4 years. In the direct admit programs, the weaker students are weeded out - so there is still grade pressure - she just saw it being played out in a slightly different way.
  5. School spirit
  6. Prominence of nursing on campus
  7. She chose UA over U Miami, NorthEastern, Drexel, UVM, Case Western, Pitt, Clemson, Miami Ohio, Fairfield, UConn. Rejected from Michigan. UT Texas. Waitlisted UVA.

@Bonchien One thing about PLNU pre-nursing program that I forgot to mention regarding our friend’s D is that she was recently told if she didn’t get in to the nursing program this year that she would the following year. This matches what you just shared although with the caveat there might be a 1 year delay.

@GreenBees congrats on your D’s selection among the many impressive programs. It sounds like it was well thought out and the right choice for her.

With regard to Alabama it might be helpful to report what you found out regarding later being admitted to their nursing program as far as requirements and raw numbers or acceptance rate. Also perhaps implied by #6 above but do nursing students get priority when registering for classes?

@GreenBees Congrats! It’s great your D found a school she loves. I’m not sure why she found basically the opposite of what everyone here says about direct vs. non-direct entry programs, but she sounds like a smart girl who will likely have no problem eventually getting accepted into the clinical major.

No direct entry program wants to lose a student, and many have no major progression requirements to get through to the clinical major (some do). I’m not sure why she thinks ‘weeding out’ takes place more in direct programs, which again, goes against what everyone here seems to say. Did she feels this was a big issue at schools on her list?

Lastly, it seems for the first two years all nursing students are in classes with the general student population, but even if this was not your experience, it can be seen as a positive by many. In the panels of nursing students I’ve seen so far, they all appear to be super close and collaborative.

@GreenBees Congrats on your Ds choice. We visited Bama last week and circumstances made my D move it to the bottom of her list. Getting a great scholarship means your D will probably have little trouble getting into the Nursing school. It maybe even gives her some time to minor in something which is what my d hopes to do.