Class of 2024 Regular Decision Thread

@ttd11244. Not sure this year since somethings they are doing are different. But historically they do waves 2/1, 3/1, 4/1 or something similar. With the EA deferral they do state a Feb 1st deadline to get the essay and grades sent, so that is telling.

But in the past there were these minor little waves happening like all the time. Maybe that is what happened to the kids you heard about?

Good Luck ??.

It asks me to send Fall Term Grades of my senior year. But it also says ā€œChecklist complete. All required admissions materials received.ā€.

And how am I supposed to turn in my grades if it says ā€œChecklist complete. All required admissions materials received.ā€

https://admissions.umich.edu/apply/freshmen-applicants/selection-process

If not accepted yet send in both Loci and midterm grades per the postponed section. If your not sure write to or call admissions.

I am deferred too :-(, but keeping my confidence high. Can anyone tell me the stats of deferred being accepted last year?

Check out Post #6 on Page 1 of this thread. Good luck.

It will be interesting to see how long it takes for deferred students to hear back. What a clown show in Ann Arbor.

@DG. Once you enter RD you are no longer in the deferred student pile. You are now just in RD. Waves happen usually 2/1,3/1,4/1. In the past there were minor acceptances here and there between these dates. They are using new software this year so things might change and hopefully for the better.

On the website for RD/postponed it just says you will find out by Early April.
https://umich.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/2080/related/1/session/L2F2LzEvdGltZS8xNTc3MTQ4MjUyL3NpZC92djNvdzZ4bw%3D%3D

Hope this helps.

yeah IU here we come

Hello fellow deferees:

For those of you who say that U-M is requesting fall grades, are you referring to a specific webpage, the ā€œApplication Checklistā€ which as the URL https://enrollmentconnect.umich.edu/apply/status?cmd=checklist. Or are you referring to the text of the ā€œpostponementā€ letter?

Guess 4.0 and 35 not good enough for the fighting Harbaughs. Merrill lynch intern and hundreds of volunteer hours for nothing. F Michigan.

Deferred hereā€¦our checklist doesnā€™t ask for grades but postponement letter does, so we will send them

I copied, edited for brevity and pasted from page 74 of the EA thread. There are many other students with high stats that were deferred or accepted.

Iā€™m sorry about your deferral.

As a deferred student I donā€™t speak from any authority but I have a hunch they didnā€™t read a good part of the applications. Their deferrals and acceptances are all over the place in terms of stats, and people with lower merit have been accepted due to tags with those of higher merit being deferred. This is very telling. Shouldā€™ve spent less time getting my 4.0 and more time making a time machine to have my parents attend different schools LOL

UMich admits that extracurriculars are a large part of their decision process, so donā€™t waste your time complaining about how people with worse stats got in. Instead, go out an accomplish something and tell them about it in a letter of continued interest.

You might not want to hear this, but it has to be said. You can start by being less entitled. A 4.0 and 35 ACT is a lot more common than you think - and it is neither sufficient nor necessary for admission at Michigan. Just because you had enough family connections to get you a Merrill Lynch internship in high school, does not mean Michigan has to roll out a red carpet for you.

Also, you saying the volunteer hours were ā€œfor nothingā€ speaks volumes. This is why we have holistic admissions.

I see you had applied to Ross. Dean Scott DeRue and his team have been working hard to change the business schoolā€™s culture into a more authentic and socially-mindful one (you may have heard about the ā€œRossholeā€ stereotype), and attitudes like you demonstrated in your post are exactly what I am guessing they are trying to avoid in their school.

@yikesyikesyikes lol. You donā€™t know me. My volunteer work was with junior achievement. To teach kids about personal finance and business. My other volunteer work is with the special Olympics. I have a special needs brother so itā€™s important cause to me. So no Iā€™m not entitled. I worked hard. Very hard. Varsity basketball captain. Varsity golf captain. If they arenā€™t interested in certain students that want to study business they should deny them vs defer them. Or just delay the early action date from the start. Thatā€™s what I donā€™t understand. Itā€™s fine Iā€™ve gotten into 6 other schools. If Iā€™m not good enough to be a Michigan man then so be it. Is frustrating is all.

@DG

I do not know you, nor am I pretending to (nor do I want to start an argument here). I was just calling out your entitlement in your previous post, and I am still kind of seeing it. A lot of people worked hard. Maybe some people got in who did not work as hard as you because their dad is a huge donor or something. Maybe some people just got lucky and had their application read when an admissions officer was in a really good mood. However, many others probably did a lot of what you did, but they may have come from broken homes or may be refugees who rose to the occasion despite being dealt a very bad deck of cards in life.

Life is not fair, and you are entitled to nothing. Based on what I know about you so far, I am guessing you have been dealt a better deck of cards than 95+% of the world (in which the average household lives on perhaps $10k a year and could only dream of sending their kids to ANY college, forget about the schools you have been admitted to). The sooner you accept all that, the better of a person (and happier) you will be, in my opinion.

Your volunteer work with the Special Olympics is very admirable (my family is very engaged with them as well), but you really took away from that when you said your volunteer experience was ā€œfor nothingā€ just because you got deferred from a very selective university.

It is a frustrating experience being deferred - I was there myself 5 years ago. I also admittedly felt similar to how you do now. I have grown a lot since then, and you will too, no matter where you end up for college.

I am sure there are opportunities for Michigan to do things differently to make the candidate experience better. However, you being deferred in spite of your achievements and hard work, while others have gotten in, is not a compelling argument for it.

To add to the above. I told both my kids they will get accepted, deferred, denied, wait listed and rejected by some very good schools and to not to take it personally. Which can be hard.

My kids know students from most of the name brand schools, Ivys etc. My son has recently been in an organization at Michigan with kids from mostly Harvard, Stanford, Berkeley, MIT and USC. He has been out to the west coast for a seminar with them. No one was touting where they went to school. They all discussed that ā€œluckā€ played a big factor in it. If you called out and asked anyone of them their GPA and Act scores it would be very similar. His high schools friends at MIT, Stanford etc pretty much have duplicate stats as he does.

@DG accepted to 6 schools in this environment is an awesome accomplishment. Congratulations to you on that.

Merry Christmas to those who celebrate!

At the end of the day it is what you make of where you go to college! I canā€™t believe our kids need to even say where their parents went to school as part of the common application. Like that matters!! I honestly think that some schools snub their noses at where the parents went to school! I was not a great student, I am lucky I even went to college. I had a 1080 on my SATā€™s (out of 1600) and was a B student, yet I am very successful and work on Wall Street. But I have been very motivated and passionate about learning throughout my life along with giving back to our society and so have my kids, but they have good ā€œstatsā€! Michigan is lucky to have one of them and they are fools not to accept my DD. She will rock the world with or without a Michigan education. She has visited 8 times, eight times and it has become home to her!! She is a Wolverine at heart and she knows she is as driven as her brother, if not more. She has the same stats as he did (although she didnā€™t take Physics, could fit her schedule), but much better ECā€™s. She is more grounded and knows what she wants to do. But she is at a public high school (her choice) and he went to a top private school and there is the difference, I thinkā€¦Hopefully her voice will come through, .because she doesnā€™t want to go anywhere else despite this advice!!

Good luck and know it is all about what you make of it!!

Also, if you just want to get in for your ego, to say you got in, get lost, and go someplace else because you are taking spots from those who really want to attend th University of Michigan!!