Class of 2024 Regular Decision Thread

Any thoughts on why some deferred students have fall term grades on their checklist and some don’t?

What immediately comes to mind and it’s totally a pure guess is MAYBE that some students had higher variability in their HS grades than others. So, UMich may want to see an update.

@Mimigirl. You did everything to the best of your ability. That’s all you can do. If the All “A” s had some rigor then I think your doing fine. They want to make sure your not slacking off and your getting ready for college so your doing great.

@pbrwendy

I’m curious myself about why some have an X for Fall grades and some don’t. Please see my posts #69 and #87. Be good to know what others think.

@pbrwendy I’m interested in finding out if the x next to fall grades means something too. My son doesn’t have one. Anyone with an X next to fall grades what are your stats? It would be interesting to see if there is a correlation between the x and stats.

My son doesn’t have fall grades listed on the application checklist. He has a 3.9 unweighted GPA and 1410 SAT.

@pbrwendy - also no fall grades X - out of state, 35 ACT, 3.93 UW GPA. - counselor sent them yesterday and LOCI sent in the day the decisions came out.

@pbrwendy @Edisonian My DD does not have Fall Grades listed in checklist 3.8UW Full IB program, 1460 SAT (750/710)

Also those who were deferred, was anyone from your high school accepted?

We have no fall grades “X” either, and our D’s UW GPA is on the lower side compared to many of you.

I am aware of at least 1 classmate of D20 who was accepted. Many many of D’s peers were deferred, however.

I assume high schools who send many applicants to UM (like ours) simply submit the fall grades as a matter of course for all deferred students. (GC office’s parent update seems to suggest as much). Perhaps that’s why we have no “X”?

My D is also on the lower side and has no “X.” But taking a quick scroll through, is there anyone who actually does have the X for fall grades?

I had an X next to fall grades. I am definitely on the lower side GPA wise. I think I saw one other person in the EA thread who had an X next to fall grades as well.

Do you think an X next to fall grades is bad?

Now I’m curious. Where is this X? Where is Fall Grades? I’m confused

The X next to my fall grades was on the link that was sent in the EA thread

I think this was the link to look for the “X” next to fall grades, if “fall grades” are a line item.

https://enrollmentconnect.umich.edu/account/login?r=https%3a%2f%2fenrollmentconnect.umich.edu%2fapply%2fstatus%3fcmd%3dchecklist

My son does not have Fall Grades as a line item, but I believe he asked his counselor to send them based on the postponed decision letter

@Knowsstuff thank you for the kind words of encouragement.

Hey all!
I had a quick question which if anyone could answer would mean a lot. I was deferred EA for LSA with a 3.976 UW GPA and 1450 SAT. I thought I had very solid ECs and well-written essays. I´m also in-state and have a sibling who attends the university. I submitted my LOCI last week. However, this semester I might finish one or two classes with a B or B+ when I usually have had all As and a few A minuses. Will this make a big difference in getting accepted or not? Another question I had is if anyone has been accepted in previous years in the 2/1 wave with no mid-year grades submitted? Thank you for reading and any help would be much appreciated.

I do believe last year some people were requested grades but then were accepted prior to sending them. Stay away from Cs and Ds and you should be fine.

The key point here is that whether that X matters. If it matters like the one in the EA round, then deferred students without that sign can forget about UMichigan and move forward. My personal take is that it does matter. With enormous student profiles, they simply do not have time go back to review deferred applications again. They left marks behind.

I’m sure there are multiple “piles” and applicants are accepted from all of them. UMich has a procedure, which has been honed over many years. And I’ll bet they follow the procedure.