Class Schedule Question

<p>^Yeah I think was where I got that idea. oops…
But anyway, I’m just not sure if I would rather take a higher level math class now to prepare myself for a possible STEM major, or just not take it (because I don’t particularly want to).</p>

<p>Well…not all STEM majors require more than Cal I and Cal II. Which ones were you thinking about? </p>

<p>if you’re thinking about being pre-med, then either retake Cal II or take Stats or Cal III.</p>

<p>It’s possible, but I really just don’t know at this point. </p>

<p>Do you think I could opt out of math first semester to give myself some time to think about my major(s) and then take Cal III second semester if I see fit?</p>

<p>I have another semi related question… I have to choose a fine arts course, and UH 210 (Fine Arts of Tuscaloosa) caught my eye. I looked it up on RMP and everyone said the professor is a sweetheart and many of the events were interesting, but that you have to attend about 20 different events. I’m wondering, as an incoming freshman who is not bringing a car to campus, how I would get to these events? Do students carpool, should I expect to find my own transportation, etc.? Does anyone have any information about this course?</p>

<p>If I pass both calc AB and BC, what should I do math-wise? i’m econ and advertising.</p>

<p>Do you think I could opt out of math first semester to give myself some time to think about my major(s) and then take Cal III second semester if I see fit?</p>

<p>Absolutely! My older son didn’t take a math his first semester (and he was a math major!).</p>

<p>Bamabound27…I would send an email to the prof and to Dr. Sharpe about the transportation issue for the many kids that don’t bring cars. I don’t think all 20 events are off-campus, but some are. I brought this up to Dr. S last summer, but I’m not certain the issue was addressed. I would ask if there’s going to be any kind of organized carpools or what.</p>

<p>Tommy which econ will you be doing? B-school or A&S? What math do they require? Don’t you have to take Stats??</p>

<p>For Econ A&S…</p>

<p>Courses Hours
MATH 121, MATH 125, or MATH 145 3–4
ST 260 3</p>

<p>For B-school Econ…</p>

<p>ECONOMICS</p>

<p>The University’s economics programs offer an extensive variety of courses to develop the student’s analytical abilities and prepare graduates for rewarding careers in business, industry, and government. Economics also provides a sound foundation for postgraduate study in a wide variety of fields. The department offers a major in economics through both C&BA and the College of Arts and Sciences. Students majoring in other fields in C&BA may select economics as a non-commerce minor. Students majoring or minoring in economics are urged to consult the undergraduate advisor for recommendation of 400-level economics courses and general electives consistent with their career goals and objectives.</p>

<p>Economics majors must complete the “C” requirement by taking one of the following (or a similar course) approved by the department: AC 389, FI 389, OM 385, or MKT 385. Economics majors must also select a specialization or a second major. A minimum of 18 hours is required for a second major. Students may choose any second major (business or non-business) with a plan approved by the Department. Approved majors already exist for math and modern languages. Students selecting non-business minors must also complete a specialization in business. Faculty Advisor: Cover</p>

<p>Major in Economics
Major Program Requirements¹ *
Courses Hours
EC 308 Intermediate Microeconomics² 3
EC 309 Intermediate Macroeconomics² 3
FI 301 Introduction to Financial Institutions and Markets 3
Additional EC courses 9

• Total: 18 hours

¹EC 470 is strongly recommended for those considering graduate work in economics or business.
²A grade of “C” or higher is required in EC 308 and EC 309.
Dual Major in Economics and Mathematics</p>

<p>The dual major in economics and mathematics is for students with strong quantitative skills who want to apply those skills in the field of economics. This curriculum is ideal for students who plan a career that involves forecasting and/or an understanding of formal economic modeling. It also provides students with the mathematical background necessary for pursuing a doctoral degree in economics. Students in this degree program are formally enrolled in the Culverhouse College of Commerce, but the curriculum is determined by both the College of Commerce and the College of Arts and Sciences. Faculty Advisor: Cover</p>

<p>Major Program Requirements *
Courses Hours
EC 308 Intermediate Microeconomics* 3
EC 309 Intermediate Macroeconomics* 3
EC 471 Econometrics 3
EC elective 3
FI 301 Financial Institutions and Markets 3
FI 389 Computerized Management Information Systems 3
MATH 355 Theory of Probability 3
MATH 451 Mathematical Statistics I 3

• Total: 24 hours

<em>A grade of “C-” or higher is required in EC 308 and EC 309.

In addition to the economics major, the following courses are required for the major in mathematics:
Courses Hours
EC 413 3
MATH 227 Calculus III 4
MATH 237 Applied Matrix Theory or
MATH 257 Linear Algebra 3
MATH 238 Applied Differential Equations I 3
MATH electives (300 or 400 level</em>) 6

• Total: 19 hours
    *</p>

<p>I am doing b-school econ but not the dual major with mathematics. The 4 year plan on the econ major page on Bama’s website only has up to MATH 125. Is it a good plan to follow?</p>

<p>I took AP stat last year and got a 4.</p>

<p>You have completed the math requirements, but can always take more math and statistics.</p>

<p>Bamabound27,
<a href=“http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/university-alabama/1228862-arts-tuscaloosa.html?highlight=arts+tuscaloosa[/url]”>http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/university-alabama/1228862-arts-tuscaloosa.html?highlight=arts+tuscaloosa&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p&gt;

<p>Arts of Tuscaloosa discussion. Roll Tide!</p>

<p>I really think that the OOS and/or “no car” students who would like to take the super-popular Arts of Tuscaloosa honors class should contact both Dr. Sharpe and the profs who teach that class and “inspire” them to have some kind of coordinated transportation situation.</p>

<p>If anything, they could arrange for 348-Ride to pick up a group outside of Nott Hall and take them to the destination and return. If the SCHOOL arranged it, then 348-Ride will feel the need to allow the reserving of FIRM drop off and FIRM pick up times.</p>

<p>Well I’ll certainly email them then. Hopefully others will, too. Thanks everyone for the help!</p>