Clemson Class of 2024

@srosso I have that move in August 15-16th weekend. I am not sure if that’s correct, but I did find it on the Clemson site a few days ago. Here’s hoping it is accurate given our current state of affairs.

@MelSpears, my son’s situation is not your son’s as his major is not Comp Sci, and he did not apply to the honors colleges. But mine was choosing among Clemson, USC, and one other and chose Clemson. My husband and I are happy about his decision and feel it’s a great fit for him even though USC gave him more out-of-state merit scholarship money than Clemson did. Since you didn’t have a chance to tour USC, your son can factor into his decision what setting he is more comfortable with… USC is in downtown Columbia so campus is urban. Some buildings on edge of USC campus don’t feel as much like they are part of campus and less secure because of surroundings (though I think Honors dorms for freshmen are in a great location). My son preferred the small college town atmosphere at Clemson and loves the layout of the campus. Sounds as though you have a lot to consider regarding the specific Comp Sci programs and of course, how important being in the honors college is to him. Good luck!

Clemson has all kinds of additional fees. Honors is 500 a semester. After the first year general classes Business classes have addition fees. I think Engineering classes have additional fees as well.

I know that in business school they also have additional fees for “labs” not exactly sure how that works.

The bottom line is figure about an extra 1-2K extra in fees after the first year.

I can tell you that if/when they move off campus the apartment rent and food expenses become significantly less. So that is a big savings you will realize in the sophomore or junior year.

@Lily115 thank you!

Some of the LLC’s have fees, as well. RISE is another $500.

@HokieCrazy
To add a little more on the Math Placement Test, based on our Engineering DD’s experience last year…

During orientation, the engineering folks stressed that they really want to make sure students are in the correct Clemson math course for their abilities, which is why they not only require the CMPT prior to starting classes but also will have the students take an initial assessment exam of sorts during their first week of whatever math class they subsequently select.

In our DD’s case, her combination of HS calculus coupled with her AP scores suggested she should have been in at least Math 2060 (i.e., Calc 3.) Curiously, the first time she took the CMPT at home, she failed to make the engineering required 80% threshold, which was a big shock and considerable disappointment. As a result, she had to take the CMPT a second time, proctored and on campus (she actually fit it into her orientation schedule) and scored a 96, which was much more aligned to her expectations. Nonetheless, we debated considerably about what course to take, ultimately going with Math 2060 as all the tests suggested, and she got an A in the class.

Thank you for that detail. I’m sure my son will be fine taking it, but it was just odd that their websites have such conflicting information.

For example, did you have to take the 2nd test at Clemson, because the site says you’re allowed to take it 4 times with a 24-hour “cool down” between takes, but then separately mentions that ALL test have to be taken proctored on-campus. So, is it only the retakes that need to be on-campus? Do they even need to be on-campus? I’m a bit concerned that Orientation might be “online” this year, so obviously if that’s the case, they’ll need to change some policies.

Another curious question (apologies for thinking too far ahead), but how do students schedule classes in June orientations if their AP scores haven’t been posted, yet?

@HokieCrazy
With the caveat that prior performance doesn’t guarantee future results, etc…

Last year the first test could be taken remotely, but if needed any subsequent tests had to be on campus. I just checked the CMPT page and it does seem they are doing things a bit differently this year, with only continuing students taking the on-line version with a web cam (I guess to try to verify there’s no outside help?) and all others taking the test during orientation.

As to the class scheduling without AP test scores, the advisors have experience with this and as I recall they prepared a provisional schedule under the presumption that the student would achieve a satisfactory AP score (i.e., they would assign the student to classes as if the AP score had indeed allowed them to get AP credit) and then would adjust if necessary after the AP test scores were posted.

Thank you, again, for this information. I still feel like it might be worth dropping admissions an email about the CMPT information to make sure, so I’ll tell my son to drop them a question about it. I’ll let everybody know what the response is.

@drewh02 checking in to see how things are going. Let us know when you’ve made your final decision; I’m sure there are many of us rooting for you!

@Tigerwife92 I was waitlisted from UVA, so I am probably going to deposit Clemson in the coming weeks, barring any unusual circumstances arising. I am still awaiting responses from a couple of Clemson officers but I’ll keep you updated! Thank you for your interest!

Does anyone have any idea when honors college will release their non-priority decisions? Are we thinking today at some point? Or will it be on april 1? Getting very anxious!!

@drewh02 sorry to hear about UVA; I know the Tiger family will be happy to have you join us. Good luck and keep us updated!

Honors decisions come out April 1st.

Has anyone from NY heard back regarding the waitlist?

@abcdhihihihi3322 Nope. Emailed 6 times expressing interest and providing updates most recent being today and still nothing. Starting to lose hope. I’m from Upstate NY Albany area if that helps

@jakem01 Me too. The wait is getting tough

My daughter was just admitted to the Honors College. Anyone know if there is a facebook page set up just for the honors kids? She wants to figure out how to connect with other honors admits. thx!

@dadfromca Welcome, D20 is Calhoun honors as well. No, there isnt an honors 2024 student page, just the class of 2024 page. They have Snap Chat groups for various things, but they fill quickly. She could always start another SC for honors and post it in the student FB group.