Co-op in Montgomery, AL

My son is a Mechanical Engineering student and has a co-op job in Montgomery, AL this coming summer. We are looking for housing for him from May through early August 2016. Anyone have any ideas/suggestions?

Thanks!

I don’t know that area of AL at all, but my son has needed short-term housing on two different occasions/summers in two different states that he’s never even been to before, so we have some experience finding rental accommodation entirely from the internet, sight unseen. It can be kind of nerve-wracking, but just plunge right in and you will be amazed at what you can find! :wink:

We looked at the usual websites (like apartments.com) but in the end craigslist was very helpful. Don’t be worried - it isn’t just all scary ‘hook-up’ listings - there will be many legit, safe, short-term accommodations listed as well. Our fall-back was always going to be long-term hotels (like by the week/month at Marriott/Residence Inn, etc) if nothing turned up. I even looked at VRBO (which is, understandably, pricey for longer-term, short-term rentals), in case someone was going to be willing to do that for us (they were generally not).

How many spots you can choose from will depend on whether your son wants to room by self in a house/apartment by himself (on one end of the rental spectrum)…or is willing to share a room or live in a house/apt with someone (on the other end of the spectrum). Mobile has a lot of business travelers (oil industry, etc.), so you should have no problems whatsoever. Kids might need help signing a lease, so you may have to co-sign to get him started at some places. There will be furniture rental places, too, if you want to go that route with trying to furnish an empty apt/house. He might have similar problems w/ utilities and cable companies…but if he can, make sure he puts those in his name so he starts to build a credit history. Lastly, ask the company he is working for for help - often they will know exactly how to help you. Good luck, and PM me if you want more personal advice.

Thank you for the advice/information!!

What part of Montgomery? My son is doing a year’s worth of clinical rotations in Montgomery this year. He is living very near Huntingdon College.

My son will be near the airport, SW of the city. How did your son go about finding housing?

i will have to ask him. i’ll get bck to you.

I am from Montgomery. I doubt he will want to live in the area near the airport.

What’s he interested in doing…his co-op too? My son is ME major and we are looking at UA. We are headed back there next month for a visit, as well as Miss St.

Ultimately, I don’t know where his degree will take him. His co-op job is with a company that designs computers/electronics for the military/airline industry. He has been happy with his education so far at UA and the co-op. He is also in the STEM to MBA program. Alabama has offered him so many great opportunities! Good luck to your son! We didn’t visit Miss St. so I can’t compare them.

The med school helped find his place. your son might look on Auburn-Montgomery’s housing website for ideas

Thanks SL1. We’ll see what happens next month.

Did your son find a place in Montgomery?

My son just graduated in mechanical engineering in Dec…

I have 3 rooms. I charge $400.00 a month. I
have had Auburn Co-op students.

I’m off I-85 just off Taylor Rd…(East Montgomery)