Colleges offering scholarships to National Hispanic Scholars

<p>Okay thank you so much!</p>

<p>Does anyone provide a central list of the colleges that offer scholarships? Does the NHRP Administrators have this information? On the website they say that they notify 200 colleges and universities the names of the scholar recipients. Will they provide anyone with the list of the 200 schools? Do you have go to each colleges website or call them to see if they are still offering the NHRP scholarship? It seems a shame that there is not a central database with this information.</p>

<p>Hi and welcome califomom!</p>

<p>I’ve never seen a list and NHRP doesn’t provide one when one becomes a scholar. That’s why itsv and others have gone to the effort of providing information on this thread.</p>

<p>Unfortunately, Auburn has eliminated its automatic scholarship for National Hispanic Recognition Scholars for the Class of 2012–only National Merit Scholars and National Achievement Scholars are eligible for the full merit scholarship.</p>

<p>What disappointing news about Auburn, hopefully not a trend with the other schools. Though with these challenging economic times I’m afraid that may be a possibility. Still no letter from NHRP according to DD’s GC. They are not familiar with the program at all, so I’m just hoping it doesn’t accidentally disappear. Anybody else get their letter/forms yet?</p>

<p>hope2help, last year the NHRP sent a letter directly to my son, but it arrived a bit later - maybe August or early Sept.</p>

<p>In terms of automatic full-tuition scholarships for NHS, I think the number of universities doing this is small. Some have small scholarships and others advertise NHS scholarships for selected students. The list on this thread provides an excellent overview, but things may have changed and may still be changing.</p>

<p>hope2help, my daughter’s school hasn’t seen the verification letter yet either and they are on the lookout (it’s a small school). Sounds like the home-schooled students received their letters already, based on an earlier post, but the “regular” schools haven’t. I’m sure it’s just a week or so away… </p>

<p>Then the official designation letters come out this fall, as per Copterguy’s post.</p>

<p>We have had CC members notify NHRP in the fall and still get designated scholars. Try to get it done before your school ends for the summer and your GC is unavailable, but don’t be too worried if it has to wait until school starts in the fall.</p>

<p>Sad news about Auburn, this year Alabama also dropped their full ride for NHRP. This compete very heavily for talent so I guess there wasn’t a pressing need to keep it. Still Auburn is offering a good NHRP scholarship that can be combined with their other OOS scholarships so getting you tuition+ dollars.</p>

<p>Does anyone know if University of North Texas has any scholarships for National Hispanic Scholars? I’ve tried to look it up but I haven’t found anything.</p>

<p>I went to their website and didn’t find a straightforward list of scholarships. I would give their FA office a call to find out.</p>

<p>Is Fordham’s full-ride for NHRP still going on? Also, how many of them do they give?</p>

<p>^ Have you checked their website?</p>

<p>JuanSoto, my son applied to Fordham last year and got accepted but did not get the full ride. I think his app fee was waived bec of NHS. I heard about someone getting a full ride last year and that person had applied early. I would suggest applying early and letting them know you are very interested (if that is the case) to get full consideration for that scholarship. If it’s still on this year, they will probably send NHS students a letter, but until then, you might call and ask. Good luck.</p>

<p>I got a letter in the mail today from University of New Mexico recognizing my National Hispanic Scholar status. They gave me a scholarship offer that wavies the out of state portion of tuition and gives me a $200 stipend each year. The estimated value is $15,015 per year.</p>

<p>We got the New Mexico letter too, so the College Board must have released the list somewhere…still waiting for the letter, though.</p>

<p>Well it looks like University of New Mexico has raised their NHRP scholarship to reflect increase in college costs. Two years ago the scholarship offered was in the low $13K. Glad to see that they are accounting for increases in fees/tuition.</p>

<p>UAB in alabama offers full ride scholarship for National Hispanic Scholars (auburn and ua dropped theirs)</p>

<p><a href=“http://www.uab.edu%5B/url%5D”>www.uab.edu</a></p>

<p>Tier 1 research university. 11K undergrads (17K total students)</p>

<p>Ranked 5th for diversity and race relations</p>

<p>Ranked 11th for happiest students</p>

<p>urban campus</p>

<p>very strong in sciences and anything health related</p>

<p>scholarships based on test scores and gpa</p>

<p>oos costs: Fall 2011 First-Year Freshmen Estimated
First-Year Freshman Out-of-State
Tuition and Fees* $14,256
Books and Supplies** $1000
Meal Plan $450 - $3,894
Total $15,706 - $19,150
Residence Hall (Blazer/Camp Hall)*** $5,200
Grand Total $20,906 - $24,350</p>

<p>OOS merit:automatic merit for oos as well as full rides for merit scholars</p>

<p><a href=“Error 404 | Not Found”>Error 404 | Not Found;

<p>Blazer Elite Scholarship
$10,000
Based on academic achievement (28-36 ACT and at least 3.0 GPA)
Blazer Gold Scholarship
$7,500
Based on academic achievement (26-27 ACT and at least 3.0 GPA)
Blazer Pride Scholarship
$5,000
Based on academic achievement (24-25 ACT and at least 3.0 GPA)</p>

<p>receives more research funding than all other alabama schools combined. </p>

<p>wonderful honors programs, many 5th year programs (math bio, etc) has biomedical engineering with a 5th year also. </p>

<p>feel free to pm for more info re specific majors, or programs</p>

<p>oops link didnt work… from UAB website</p>

<p>We recognize National Merit Finalists, National Achievement Finalists, and National Hispanic Scholars with the following scholarship, which is renewable for four years. The details:</p>

<p>Full tuition, required fees, and housing (up to 15 credit hours per semester) for a total of eight semesters (fall and spring)
A one-time $2,500 stipend to be used for experiential learning (Study Away, internships, co-ops, etc.)
Students receiving UAB merit-based scholarships are required to live on campus for their first year of enrollment. (Which is a very good place to live. Check out our swank, conveniently located residence halls.) For more information, review the Freshman Scholarship Residency Policy. </p>

<p>Once you’ve been admitted to UAB, simply do the following to claim your scholarship:
National Merit Finalists: Name UAB your first choice with the National Merit Scholarship Corporation; the paperwork for this should be included with your finalist letter. They’ll then send us your name, and we will award your scholarship. Yes, it’s really that easy.</p>

<p>National Achievement Finalists and National Hispanic Recognition Program Scholars: Fax or mail us a copy of your Finalist letter and/or your Finalist certificate, and we’ll award your scholarship:
Coordinator of Undergraduate Scholarships
HUC 317
1530 3rd Avenue South
Birmingham, AL 35294
(205) 934-8941</p>

<p>i’ve sent emails to the admissions folks from university of rochester and fordham what that might be worth to us. those are the only schools on our radar to which NHRP is rumored to apply</p>