Community Colleges in Madison, Wisconsin?

<p>Are there any community colleges in Madison, WI, where students often transfer into the University of Wisconsin? Also, what are some downsides to starting at a cc and transferring into a university? Do all credits transfer over?</p>

<p>Yes. Many students transfer from MATC to UW Madison. You can attend there for two years, and if you meet certain qualifications, you will be guaranteed admission to UW Madison. You can transfer outside of that, though, and they have different options. See the link I’ve provided below.</p>

<p>I would imagine most, if not all, credits would transfer, especially if you did it through one of their transfer programs. MATC links to a website where you can see if your credits will transfer, however.</p>

<p>[Bachelor's</a> Degree Completion Options | Madison Area Technical College](<a href=“http://matcmadison.edu/bachelors-degree-completion-options#uwmadison]Bachelor’s”>http://matcmadison.edu/bachelors-degree-completion-options#uwmadison)</p>

<p>Perfect, that was a big help. Thanks!</p>

<p>As of last week, MATC is going to be referred to as Madison College. </p>

<p>[MATC</a> now to be known as Madison College](<a href=“http://host.madison.com/wsj/news/local/education/article_390e48ea-c418-11de-b44f-001cc4c002e0.html]MATC”>MATC now to be known as Madison College)</p>

<p>Connor,</p>

<p>My daughter just transferred into UW-Madison from MATC this Fall. They do a great job of making sure all credits transfer and there is guaranteed transfer admission with a certain GPA (either 3.0 or 2.5, I think).</p>

<p>If you are a Wisconsin resident, it is really easy. However, if you are coming from out of state, you need to work for at least 12 months before attending classes in order to eventually qualify for in state tuition rates at UW-Madison.</p>

<p>Kevin</p>

<p>Thanks for the replies. Kevin, do you think your daughter will be at all of a disadvantage if she applies to a post-grad school since she spent some of her college time at MATC, as opposed to someone who went to UW all four years? Because I’m wondering if I should go that route to save money even if I do get into UW.</p>

<p>Think of the knowledge gained and the classroom peer group. They allow AP credits, why not other colleges? Also course selection. Courses with the same name are not always as tough. You could ask yourself the same question about transferring from any other college. I would also try to go away for the freshman college experience instead of commuting if I could- can’t have that experience ever again in a lifetime. Don’t shortchange yourself if you are a well above average college student with a limited college. Thinking grad school- may be taking some upper division courses even as a freshman or the honors version.</p>

<p>Connor,</p>

<p>My daughter is in Nursing and shouldn’t have any issues regarding her graduate degree plans. In general, I do not think that time at CC would impact a graduate school application. I think the decision to start at CC is very student specific. For my daughter, UW-Madison was her clear #1 choice for college. She did not get in, but was admitted to the other schools she applied to. Her decision was to go the CC route and transfer and she is very happy that is what she did. We will use the money saved to help support her in graduate school. She was able to excel at MATC and got the highest grades of her life there. My opinion is that CC makes sense for many students and should be considered much more widely than it is. That said, you need to do your research because CC costs have gone up even more percentagewise than those at four year schools lately.</p>

<p>Ic, thanks a lot for the responses.</p>