Continuation of "Does This Bother Anyone Else?"

<p>Okay, I know reviving old threads is taboo but... the conversation was so engrossing and, in a way, enlightening; I had to add some thoughts, so I'll simply do it here. I'd love feedback/questions/comments! :)</p>

<p>Before I begin, I'll tell you a bit about myself: 2100+ SAT, 29 ACT (Retaking), 4.0 unweighted gpa, tons of honors/ap classes, prospective salutatorian, involved in student govt, volunteer work, etc. I'll be applying ED to Princeton for molecular biology. </p>

<p>As you can see from my stats, I'm an atypical, high-achieving black male and, believe me, I've experienced EVERYTHING described in the threads here. It sucks being the only black student in your English class, or knowing only one (yes, just one) other academically-achieved black student in YOUR ENTIRE SCHOOL OF 1800 KIDS. The comments, insinuations, jokes, and general idiocy we endure are undeserved and unfair honestly, considering they are basically punishment for defying "racial" stereotypes. But I'm not here to complain or generate resentment; I'm here to tell you all something VERY important:</p>

<p>Our situation will NEVER improve until we relinquish our grasp of the "Black" identity. </p>

<p>Race doesn't exist. Period. Ethnicity? Sure. Nationality? Of course. But in the context of mankind, there exist no genetic boundaries between someone born in Europe and someone born in Africa. Period. "Interracial" individuals are proof that we are all of the same species. This is the Biological Species Concept; look it up. Why is this important? Because RACE = SPECIES. You see, race was a concept developed by Europeans to rationalize their exploitation of Africa. Slavery, the Scramble for Africa, and forced conversion could only be justified if the victims (Africans... and Native Americas... and Asians) were relegated to sub-human status. Thus was born the modern concept of race, with whites at the top of the racial hierarchy and blacks at the bottom. It was simply justification for the Social Darwinism and colonial policies of the Europeans. </p>

<p>"DUH!!!" </p>

<p>Here's the point: not only are the negative connotations associated with "black" horrific, they've been compounded by centuries of institutionalized slavery, racism, and oppression: sharecropping, Black Codes, the exclusion of black people from the populist/progressive moments, Jim Crow, the exclusion of black people from post-WWII prosperity. The list goes on. Added to this is the portrayal of blacks in the media, along with the all-pervasive influences of the hip-hop industry and sports. Black is now a synonym for materialism and ignorance (painfully harsh, but true); it's basically a mark of ignominy, an ebony A, if you will.</p>

<p>"But what of the positive history of blacks? What of MLK, Parks, Washington, Douglass, Tyson, President Obama, and individuals just like yourself?"</p>

<p>And now we've come to the main point: all these renowned individuals accomplished the things they did not because they were black, but in spite of it. "Ridiculous!" you say. But is it? Does having to combat 500 years of racism - both de jure and de facto, internalized and externalized – not constitute a struggle? Do you dispute the insidious nature of the connotations associated with "black"? Get a dictionary. NO! Try watching a movie on BET. See my point? Why, then, do some many insist on identifying as "black" when it has no scientific basis, was implemented to do harm to "blacks," and maintains arguably one of the most horrendously negative and entrenched connotations in the English language? My hypothesis: the continuation of slavery. Psychological slavery.</p>

<p>Every time someone calls himself or herself "black," I believe it to be tangible evidence of the worst ramification of slavery: the monstrosity that is an internalized sense of inferiority, inter-generational, and played out on a societal scale. Why else, why else would someone cling to ignominy? Perhaps for some there is pride and honor in the word, but from most there is simply shame The idea of identifying as "black" has been entrenched into psyche of black people. It's just depressing, really. </p>

<p>"But you called yourself black, and you refer to others as blacks."</p>

<p>Excellent point. Black, white, Hispanic, Asian, middle eastern: they're all just convenient adjectives. One cannot let such an word define his or herself; that is when it becomes detrimental. Yet black people routinely identify as black or allow themselves to be identified as such; this is but one of the legacies of slavery. </p>

<p>“Are you almost done?”</p>

<p>Yes actually, but before I go, I want to say something about white black students. (That's us!) Though the comments are disheartening, they are also cause for optimism. You see, when kids, specifically white kids, say we “don't act black” or we “act white,” they're usually attempting to compliment us, in a horribly-misguided way. White, undoubtedly, has positive connotations, so what they are actually saying is: “you defy what 500 years of Eurocentic history and five minutes in a CP class (let's be honest...) tell me.” Nevertheless, they need to be corrected – sometimes sternly. XD But all kidding aside, a genuine dialogue, free of acrimony and tension, will go a long way in altering someone's perspective, as will unconditional positive regard. I actually had a friend (white) say that he believed there was a difference between blacks and ni... well, you know. I didn't get irate, I didn't rebuke him, I didn't even offer a counterargument: I simply accepted what he said. Honestly, when looking at black people as a whole, I find it's difficult to blame him. I accepted what he said, just as I accept the current state of black people; to do otherwise would be to go against my philosophy. Furthermore, accaptance is a prerequisite for societal progress. So perhaps, generations hence, “person” will suffice for “black person.” </p>

<p>Okay, I'm done. I've spend about two hours on this and I know there will be glaring grammatical errors. Please forgive those, as this was composed between 3 am and 5 am. I really, really hope this post ignites a discussion.</p>

<p>I suppose no one wanted to discuss this.:(</p>

<p>I personally think this is just a bit much for CC… </p>

<p>(But I’m glad you’re applyin’ SCEA to Princeton doe ^_^)</p>

<p>Re: your erasure of my racial self-identification</p>

<p>No thank you.</p>

<p>^^^ Yeah… like it’s okay to be proud of your grades and your achievements, but it kind of comes off as arrogant, especially when you say things like “honestly, when looking at black people as a whole, I find it difficult to rebuke him.” in reference to your white friend referring to black people who aren’t in your english class as the n-word. TOO MANY black people have this “better than those street blacks” attitude and it’s incredibly limiting. For one thing, no matter how good your SATs are, or your GPA, or how many ivies you get into, I don’t understand what makes you think you have the right to shame a person because they chose not to have the same life as you. It’s closed-minded, and all your doing is reiterating the same language used to oppress ALL black people.
You may think that what you’re doing is shaking off the negative stereotypes, but what you’re doing is shaming other black people in preference for what white people are comfortable with. Go ahead and be smart, go to a good school, get a good SAT score, but don’t shame other black people (or ANYONE for that matter) because they chose not to(or, you know what, maybe they DIDN’T choose to. I’m not going to tell you to look up Affirmative action because I am SURE you know what it is but I sincerely urge you to think about it, long and hard).
Race may be a “man-made” concept, but it’s a concept that has affected the lives of millions of people (people who look like YOU). You may think you’re trumping racism by 1) ignoring race altogether 2) being racist against your own race (yes, that’s what this is) 3) and putting yourself on a pedestal for being perceived by white people as a “good” black person, but you are not. You are perpetuating it.</p>

<p>Thank you for such a thoughtful comment. Truly, I loved being refuted by one with such… energy. However, I must contest. Firstly, I did not mean to appear arrogant. I simply wanted to present my academic credentials in an effort to clarify my perspective; this is CC after all, and I would say it was a stretch to call listing academic achievement arrogant. But that is your opinion, and I respect it. Secondly, as for your comment regarding my denigrating of black people, I must disagree. I stated that my friend said there was a difference between blacks and ni**ers., not between high-achieving blacks and low-achieving blacks; he never stated what the difference was. I was the one who inferred it had something to do with education and socio-economic status. And before you go Fruedian, I was not projecting, I was thinking of possible rationales. Furthermore, data supports the claim that black people are not as academically or economically achieved: lowest test scores, lowest individual net worth, etc. But such data is based upon aggregates and not the individual, and therefore should not be used to shame black people. Nevertheless, it is a reality that must be addressed and, if one was to look at the general numbers, it would be understandable that they might regard black people as somehow lower than others. Is that wrong? Hell yes. But is it understandable, especially coming from a privileged white kid? Yes. I’m not going to go into a debate the social conditions that beget such disparities because I am SURE you know what they are, but I sincerely urge you to think long and hard about how grouping people based on external appearance perpetuates these conditions. </p>

<p>You cannot ignore the fact that “black” has centuries of negative connotations attached to it. Why then do people continue to use the word to define themselves when, in actuality, it was and is something thrust upon them by Western society. </p>

<p>“So perhaps, generations hence, ‘person’ will suffice for ‘black person.’” Why is that so ridiculous and racist? </p>

<p>But, accepting your personal attacks as I did my friend’s blatantly racist comment, I thank you again for you emphatic comment.</p>