Cornell waitlist 2027

However, my post was about a waitlisted legacy. It was discussing the woes of the waitlist, which I thought we were all here doing under the Cornell waitlist topic.

5 Likes

Anything from cals guys?

1 Like

I can feel yours 
 it happens in every good school.

2 Likes

I want to inform Cornell about my latest grade reports, but my counselor can’t provide me with a PDF of my final grades until May 31st. Given the 5-day grace period, I will likely hear back from cornell next week, which won’t work. Is there another way I can update them about my grades?

1 Like

Maybe you can take a snip of the webpage report and send it to them, and explain that an official copy is available only on the 31st, and you will send it when it becomes available.

2 Likes

I thought of this tysm for your help!!

1 Like

My D received an email yesterday that she was accepted off the WL for CALS.

1 Like

Hi. Do you need to send official grades? Could you add a document to your profile discussing any relevant updates?

Congrats!:tada::tada::tada: Can you tell us what major & region?

My daughter has also been waitlisted by Cornell, but I think she she is trying to move on. She will go to another university where she got admission and hopefully do her best there.
I am a prof in a university, and what I know is that the admission decision is made by admissions people who do not have the true ability to distinguish between higher and lower merit. While you are heartbroken as U am, the admission decision is not a statement on the children. That, I want my daughter to understand, but it is easier said than done.
I have seen a lot in my decades in the profession, a kid who goes to a less than to 25 college still has as as much of a chance to succeed in career as the kid going to Cornell. The difference is in the belief and confidence which leaves the child who does not go to the top school. If your child can hold on to the confidence and continue the hard work, that stats will favor him or her after college. And in the end it is all about these odds, because the outcome effort is always a bit random as your child must have understood by now.
People like you and I have to just stay strong and help our children not lose their confidence and optimism about their lives. I really think that will help them eventually get the success that they deserve.

4 Likes

I agree that decisions made by admissions that they do not have the true ability to distinguish between higher and lower merit. My son has the highest GPA in his grade with many leadership skills, science research competitions, Summer College programs, etc, did not get in to the COE but another student in his class got in for COE without further science classes, lower GPA, no leadership skills such as captain and president of honor societies. Makes no sense. I know my son will be happy in the school he was admitted. The whole process is not fair but like you said they have much of a chance to succeed in a career as the kid going to Cornell.

3 Likes

Our kids are more resilient than we parents are. Even now my daughter still believe in the system and defend her friends anytime I said something negative. She still gives her 100% in all her works even when many of her classmates are cutting schools. It’s just the sense of fairness that bothers me. The values they teach our kids doesn’t align with the real world they practice. At the end of the day, I realized these schools are all private institutions and they are free to practice whatever political beliefs they want. But how come when it comes to things that are most important and matter to us, middle class american, we are never the first wave of anything! We are never “equal”. I feel like we are being squeezed out every which way we turn. Even in merit scholarship and waitlisted ranking, there are always elements of “institutional priority” involved. Merit scholarship is not based on pure academic merit etc.

7 Likes

Well said!

congrats!

1 Like

My daughter is currently on the waitlist for the ILR School, and we haven’t received any updates, whether positive or negative. This waiting process has been quite challenging, especially considering that we are already approaching June with no clear timeline. It’s disheartening not only for my daughter but also for all the other students who are still uncertain about their future. Although I’m grateful she wasn’t rejected outright, it’s unfortunate that she missed out on the excitement of participating in College Day at her High School. I apologize for the rant, but I sincerely wish the process could progress more swiftly. Another month of waiting seems overwhelming, and I’m unsure of what lies ahead. Nevertheless, I want to express my congratulations to all those who have been accepted off the waitlist. Thank you.

3 Likes

I sent you a message. I am a senior poster and moderator. You can check your message inbox.

1 Like

My daughter is the highest GPA in her large public school with extensive AP/ college course work, leadership, EC, research, work experience and national level awards who got waitlisted by 6 IVY/T20 schools while students with much lower stats got admitted to these schools. We have been preparing her to consider these waitlists as soft rejections - indications that if admissions were based on meritocracy then she would have been admitted by at least one of these schools. But unfortunately as stated by many other parents here, criteria for admissions to these schools have changed. It is sad because as immigrant parents, we have always taught our children that hard work will pay off, we still believe it will in the long run, but it is very demoralizing for these students. We are encouraging our student to get excited about the schools that did value her work and achievements and move on.

8 Likes

:tada: Goodbye and good luck to all of your students :tada:

5 Likes

Maybe the conversation about admissions workers who can’t ascertain true “merit” and all the unworthy children they offered acceptances to should be moved to its own thread so people can discuss the topic of the Cornell waitlist?

8 Likes

Wasn’t there a nice post about how their high school’s college counselors helped student with waitlists earlier today? It seems to have disappeared from the thread. In any case, will Cornell update at some point soon like what CMU did, basically saying the waitlist is more or less closed, so students can move on? My student is luckily not on too many waitlists. He was also really busy with school work (no senioritis here), soccer, track, badminton and martial arts tournaments right around last week of April and 1st week of May. The challenged writer he is, submitted forms that needed writing not that fast either which probably was not good practice. But luckily he has committed to our “local state flagship” UC Berkeley for mechanical engineering, which one of two two parents was super happy about (that one of the parents is not too hot about Cornell’s location and cost:).
It’s been an interesting journey and good luck to everyone!