Crimson connections program at University of Alabama

I was accepted into the crimson connections porgram at the University of Alabama. I was wondering if anyone knew if there are any restrictions placed on connections students. Are these students able to participate in clubs, activities, or greek life?

If someone with knowledge of the topic could answer ASAP it would be much appreciated

Sorry, I don’t know anything about this program, but I hope you get some answers soon!

I’ve never heard of the Crimson Connections program. What exactly is it? Is it like the Crimson Edge program?

Sounds like a UA version of match.com :x

See here for link to special category admission: https://catalog.ua.edu/undergraduate/about/admissions/general-requirements/special-category-students/
…'cause we’re all stumped what you applied for (and were accepted as)!

If what the OP meant is Crimson Edge, I do not believe there are restrictions on activities, Greek Life, etc. In fact, extracurricular activities are encouraged for all. A friend of my daughter was accepted through that program, and aside from being restricted in the number of credits she could take and having to take a special class first semester, I am not aware of any other limitations.

@thomasv it is only for a semester- there are no restrictions, you will just be taking classes at HES school- , everyone takes the core curriculum the first semester and then can switch off to something else. That being having earned a 2.0 or better GPA. :slight_smile:

@mishk90, for those of us (I assume most of us) who aren’t familiar with Crimson Connections, what is it?

@“beth’s mom” basically what it is, if you didn’t have the “best” GPA throughout high school, 'Bama admits you with their Connections Program. You’re still taking the same classes are other students but you have a connections coordinator, you meet with advisors- it’s almost like you’re getting help. It in no way will affect your designated major- you just will have an undeclared major. Once you receive a 2.0 or higher GPA for the start of the spring semester you will be switched out of the connections program and start taking your classes for you major you choose to be in :slight_smile: It’s giving you the resources you need, it’s a big help!

What’s the difference between this program and Crimson Edge? It sounds like a good program in any event.

@BethsMom Crimson Edge is a two-semester program which helps students manage the transition to a university academic environment. Students in this category are not on probation but are limited to 12-14 credit hours during their first semester and must enroll in an academic support class. It’s basically extra help but with the Connections Program, you have an advisor and all that good stuff :slight_smile:

@thomasv - how are you liking the connections program? Out of curiosity when did you apply to Alabama and when did you find out you were admitted? My DD applied mid September and her status is still pending but I noticed that it says Crimson Connection as the type of application so I assume if she does get in, she will also be in the connection program. Would appreciate any info you can give me! Thanks!