Current Freshman at Purdue - Got Questions About Purdue except Admissions?

<p>getting very nervous about college since i leave in 3 weeks for BGR and classes in general. during my free time in BGR week should i go and see where my classes exactly are?</p>

<p>Yes definitely, during BGR is the best time to do this because campus is pretty empty. Me and a couple friends went just before classes started and it really helped. Just get a map and find all the buildings, all of your classrooms (some buildings are tricky and confusing) and how to get to your next class the fastest way if it’s far. The first semester will probably be the only time you’ll do this, because you’ll figure out most of the buildings and common lecture classrooms as the semester goes on. But don’t be nervous, Purdue’s campus is really easy to figure out.</p>

<p>I agree with smahanru’s post. Also during BGR, I believe some Team Leaders advise you to bring your schedule with you so you can know the location of your classes.</p>

<p>I am a TL and we do have a campus tour, which we recommend the new students to bring their schedules, like Jimgotkp said. These tours are usually rushed so i’ll probably do what a lot of the TL’s do and what my TL did the year before and take my group on a personal more leisurely on the Thursday of BGR when there are no activities.</p>

<p>Does anyone know how heavy the workload is for a Computer Science major?</p>

<p>I’m an out-of-state student and my parents are not able to accompany me on move-in date for BGR. Where I would be able to buy items for my dorm? I can’t rent a car, so would the bus be efficient?
I was planning on buying things on different days of BGR assuming I have to buy a lot heavy stuff.</p>

<p>Yeah go to the Target run and to Meijer mania during BGR. You can get a ton of stuff there and the buses shuttle from the store and back to campus for a couple hours. If you miss those days during BGR for whatever reason, you could always take the City bus to Wal-Mart. I suggest you take bus 4B to Wal-Mart (pick up at Beering) and take bus 1B back to campus (it drops off by Armstrong and Ford dining court/the Theta sorority house)</p>

<p>Im an incomming freshmen, what if i didnt attend star and not going to attend BGR, what are other possible ways to get oriented to the school and how abt frats. how do i join?</p>

<p>Buy a Mortar Board. It’s Purdue’s official planner book and it has all the university’s club callout dates listed in it. Clubs are a really good way to meet people, but you will also meet a lot of people in your residence hall (assuming you’re living in one). Don’t feel obligated to join a frat just to meet people. It IS a good way to meet a ton of people, of course, but still, don’t feel obligated…there’s plenty of other ways to meet people. But to “join” you have to “rush” a fraternity (or multiple ones if you want) of your interest and you have to attend rush events for the frats and whatnot. See if you like the frat/the brothers and if they like you, etc. Check of Purdue’s greek website,[How</a> to Join](<a href=“http://www.purduegreeks.com/howToFraternity.php]How”>http://www.purduegreeks.com/howToFraternity.php), and it will explain it all.</p>

<p>We can’t remember which meal plan we picked…can anyone share as to how we find out what we picked?</p>

<p>“Don’t feel obligated to join a frat just to meet people. It IS a good way to meet a ton of people, of course, but still, don’t feel obligated…there’s plenty of other ways to meet people.”</p>

<p>I don’t mean any disrespect, but

1. Please don’t assume people are only interested in joining a fraternity to meet people. Fraternities offer more than just the social aspect, e.g. networking, leadership and brotherhood. On the average, fraternity members also obtain higher GPAs than their non-greek counterparts and perform countless hours of community service.</p>

<ol>
<li>Please don’t call fraternities frats. Although commonly used, the term ‘frat’ is derogatory and implies all fraternities do is haze, drink and have sex.</li>
</ol>

<p>davidbruman123, the workload for CS majors is quite intense from what I’ve seen. My friend is a CS major but he had enough credits to be a sophomore during his first year and I saw he had a tough time with his work. He does like math and you will do plenty of it so remember that. </p>

<p>jimtology, what kind of heavy stuff are you looking for? Why not just order them online and have them sent to your dorm? No need to take the bus or pay for an expensive taxi to walmart or target. You can even have your parents mail it to you by FedEx or UPS so keep that in mind. </p>

<p>RBC77, give a call to the Housing center and ask them what is on file. After you give them your PUID #, I’m sure they will tell you. </p>

<p>I agree with EuroBoilerMaker on his statement in regards to fraternities. Many people on CC tend to be a GDI so if you have any specific questions just PM me. I’m sure EuroBoilerMaker wouldn’t mind answering questions as well?</p>

<p>I actually was in a sorority but dropped because it was terrible so don’t assume I’m some dumb “GDI” who doesn’t know anything about the Greek system at Purdue. Also, I call them “frats” because it is the internet and formalities don’t really matter. And, sanimushin was implying that he wanted a way to meet more people, i.e. join a frat to meet more people, which is why I said that. Personally, I think that is the worst reason to join the Greek system, but hey, it’s whatever, people have their own reasons.</p>

<p>smahanru, was not referring you to a GDI. There are other people on CC who tend to show their hatred of the Greek system. Sorry to hear about your bad experience. I know a few people as well who dropped during pledgeship and when they became a sister due to several reasons.</p>

<p>Jimgotkp: yeah i thought about that too, but don’t the stores have huge discounts during BGR? I don’t know if it works online or not. Probably the heaviest thing is a mini-fridge or a printer. Not sure yet.</p>

<p>If I recall correct the deals at Target aren’t amazing or too great. If you are OOS then I recommend you not getting a mini-fridge or printer due to several reasons. After your spring semester, where do you plan on putting the mini fridge? Yes, you can bring it home or to a storage place but it makes your moving out experience a bit annoying. In terms of a printer, you will have a $20 credit in printing money with a page costing 4 cents if I recall? Not sure if the computer lab in McCutcheon or Earhart is gone now but you can always print from those places if you are not in the academic campus.</p>

<p>@jimtology, you can rent a mini fridge/microwave set from Bedloft.com and it will be in your room when you get there if you order it soon. No hauling up to your room, just have to assemble and plug in. Then you just return it at the end of the year. Total it is about $200 for the whole year to rent. Fridges are a must. I also got a really cheap printer from Target and it’s small enough to ship home if needed. It’s also handy for last minute print outs the morning something is due. Just a thought.</p>

<p>oh thanks for the help I’m just going to rent the fridge then. how would i go about ordering from target then? Since, there’s no supertarget.com or anything.</p>

<p>Target: [Target.com</a> - Furniture, Baby, Toys, Electronics, Costumes, Video Games](<a href=“http://www.target.com%5DTarget.com”>http://www.target.com)
Wal-Mart: [Walmart.com:</a> Save money. Live better.](<a href=“http://www.walmart.com%5DWalmart.com:”>http://www.walmart.com)</p>

<p>There is also free Amazon Prime accounts for students with an .edu e-mail address so you should consider this as well:
[Amazon</a> Student](<a href=“http://www.amazon.com/gp/student/signup/info]Amazon”>http://www.amazon.com/gp/student/signup/info)</p>

<p>Amazon Prime offers free two-day shipping so it actually saves a good amount of money if you buy a lot of stuff from there.</p>

<p>Wow! I can’t believe I read this entire thread… I have a few questions :p</p>

<p>What would you say are the Pros AND Cons of Purdue University? Based on your experience?</p>

<p>Do you know anything about their pharmacy program and how hard it is to get in?</p>

<p>What made you choose Purdue over a more urban school?</p>

<p>Thanks!</p>

<p>Sorry if you’ve answered any of these questions before. My brain is mush after going through everything. lol</p>