Current Freshman at Purdue - Got Questions About Purdue except Admissions?

<p>Yes, I highly recommend trying to find someone through Facebook. It is kind of weird because it is Facebook, but the roommate questions on the housing form are short and reveal little about people and their habits. Also, people LIE on the questionnaire on top of it or their overbearing (sorry, but true) parents fill it out for them (my randomly matched freshman year roommate, for example, said she did not smoke but, in fact, smoked regularly unbeknownst to her parents who filled out her form); rendering all the questions useless and a total surprise when you find out who they really are. </p>

<p>In short, going random can be a great thing or a very bad experience so it may be better to try and find a roommate through Facebook.</p>

<p>john14, I don’t blame you for double majoring since you need like what… 3 additional math courses to get a Math major? Classes in college are a lot more difficult than you would think. As long as you put the time and effort into your studies then you will do fine. I am unable to tell if math classes would be easy for you but trust me it won’t be the same stuff you do in high school. CS is pretty tough and it’s like math, study well and pay attention in class. I mentioned on CC already that you will only graduate with like 30% of the other freshmen CS students?</p>

<p>Intramural is pretty big at Purdue… There is a huge selection offered and many students participate in them. Most Greeks take intramural sports seriously so they pretty much participate in all the sports. A lot of regular students participate in them too and you can join a team if you don’t know anyone by putting yourself up on a list if I recall. </p>

<p>A lot of people play catch or throw a frisbee outside if the weather is nice. You will see a lot of Greeks out in their yard and people out by Memorial Mall. There are some people who play out in the intramural fields as well if no actual intramural game is going on. </p>

<p>I recommend getting the VIP card as well since it’s a great deal and saves a lot of money if you plan on going to a lot of sporting events. Get it early like the other poster said. </p>

<p>Many people seem to find their roommates via Facebook lately and myself included. However, try to meet and talk to your roommate A LOT before arriving on campus. It makes it less awkward when you two meet and allows you to have your first friend in college. There are some cases when you find out that the person you chose was a bad decision too… You always have the option of changing roommates after the first semester so don’t sweat it. If it’s that bad then you might be able to change in the middle of the semester.</p>

<p>seriously tho, are there beautiful women at purdue? i am applying for liberal arts and not that i am a hardcore partier or anything but i do want a social life with attractive females</p>

<p>The % of females at Purdue are lower than males. However, other people and myself included agree that the quality is pretty damn good. If you are applying for Liberal Arts I wouldn’t be worried about socializing with woman inside and outside the classroom. Guys you should be worried for when it comes to having classes with females are Engineers and CS majors.</p>

<p>Hey Jimgotkp-when are midterms typcially held during second semester? Are they held the week before spring break?</p>

<p>It really depends on the class. Some classes have midterms before spring break, some after, some way after. There is not university-wide set time for mid-terms.</p>

<p>RBC77, dixie03 is 100% on the dot.</p>

<p>jimgotkp,
where did you get the stats for 30% of the freshman graduate with CS?</p>

<p>john14ty66, my friend that’s in the CS program told me that. They said that during his first day of class and I think it is true because I met a lot of people who changed from CS to something else. Many people think CS is for them even though they never programmed before which is one of the biggest factors, imho.</p>

<p>Question–how much of an advantage is having a car?
I really want to bring one next year, (my brother will be a sophomore and we’ll share), but my dad said he wants to sell it. But I would like to go to Chicago/IU a lot…so yeah, how advantageous is a car?</p>

<p>Don’t REALLY need a car but it would make life easier when it comes to going to Walmart, Target, restaurants in Lafayette, etc. Parking will be a hassle unless your brother will live at Cary Suites/Hillenbrand where he has a better chance for Residence Hall parking permits. If he plans on living off-campus then you should just leave the car at his place and ask him to pick you up then you take over the car and drop him off. When it comes to having your own car then getting a parking permit will be tough considering you’re a freshman too. </p>

<p>This is another reason that going Greek helps because freshmen tend to leave their cars at the house since they don’t need a permit or anything.</p>

<p>i applied after nov 15 is there anyway to be qualified for scholarship? and when u get the admission decision when do they tell u how much do u have to pay and ur financial aid and these stuff?</p>

<p>Not sure about the scholarship. Your financial aid package should be coming in around March/April? You do not get your decision and your financial aid package in one mail.</p>

<p>thnx…</p>

<p>I need help! I have been accepted in the food science undergraduate! which dorm do you recommend me to live in? is there any available 4 - witha bathrom for freshamn girls?
Or with do you think is the best?
Thanks</p>

<p>^ hilltop apts. I want to live in one if I go to Purdue. They’re not really apts just apt styled. If u don’t mind hills then go for it because you’ll get a private bathroom n kitchen. U can also live in the Purdue village undergrad housing that also offers a private bathroom n kitchen. If u want to learn more, check out the housing website for Purdue.</p>

<p>Personally, I’m not a big fan of PV and Hilltop. I prefer dorm style living so it would be Earhart, Shreve and McCutcheon. If Harrison gets A/C this fall then I would put it on the top of my list with the others I just mentioned. It’s nice having A/C throughout the year imho so I’m not a big fan of places like Owen, Tark, etc.</p>

<p>A kitchen is nice to have but since you’re freshman it will be mandatory for you to have a meal plan so having to buy cookware and stuff kind of sucks. Thats why I recommend actual dorms than apartments.</p>

<p>Yeah Hilltop and Purdue Village are not very nice…They really need to be updated in my opinion. Like bad. There are much nicer dorms that you could live in your freshmen year (Shreve, Earhart, Harrison, Windsor, etc). If you’re worried about having a private bathroom, the community bathrooms really are not that bad and they are cleaned daily. And again, having a kitchen isn’t that beneficial because you still have to get a meal plan and eat in the dining courts so it will probably go unused a majority of the time.</p>

<p>Hey guys, I am from India and new to this forum. I need some advice on which university I should enroll to?
I have been accepted at purdue,uiuc,minnesota,penn state,rutgers,texas a&m
I am waiting for wisconsin madison and umich.
I want to major in applied math and statistics.</p>

<p>my favorites are :</p>

<p>applied math us news gourman rankings mean</p>

<p>purdue university 19 10 14.5
umich 11 21 16
u of wis-madison 21 5 13
u of minnesotta 5 24 14.5</p>

<p>statistics us news(2007) nrc rankings mean</p>

<p>purdue university 10 8 9
umich 12 21 16.5
u of wis-madison 12 17 14.5
u of minnesotta 20 11 15.5</p>

<p>from this i deduce that purdue is the best for stat while wisconsin madison is the best for applied math.do u agree? why has purdue got such a low 4 yr grad rate of 40%?
Also could anyone tell the grad rate for undergrad math/stat specifically?</p>