Current Freshman at Purdue - Got Questions About Purdue except Admissions?

<p>msl2008, i agree with what you say. I am not a stereotype indian, i am chossing purdue because of its greek life and its social scene, this is what i had heard so i thought i jus ask, and i am a total party guy and i am hoping not to meet any indian guys over there.</p>

<p>okay thanks mls for your honesty .</p>

<p>vamparikh,</p>

<p>You are Indian and you don't want to meet any Indians.</p>

<p>LOL, </p>

<p>You are sort of like me. I am Asian, and I prefer going with wide variety of people.</p>

<p>rifelife : I love my country and i love my fellow indians, but its just that i want to experince the american way of life. I see it in movies and I dream about it. I am coming across the globe so i think why shouldn't i meet new people and why shouldn't i experince the american way of life when i am studying in america.</p>

<p>^^^^^
thats the spirit!</p>

<p>Okay number one, shivam, your friend probably has never been to a frat. party or came to one with a huge group of guys. During my pledgeship and rushing at my current fraternity, we had a fellow rushee/pledge that was Indian and I ****en love him. It was unfortunate that he couldn't continue on since of his parents. Msl is right about having too many guys as one group, even though my fraternity doesn't really care, we just don't want a sausage fest. Most fraternity houses are not rascists, but some houses have higher standards and only choose certain types of guys like Beta house or Skulls and the other higher fraternities like fiji. The fob Indian kids don't even hang out with the American kids so that explains it for them not be socialized to. I'm Asian myself, and I see myself in a fraternity house. So disregard everything you heard, and experience everything yourself. </p>

<p>ketnek, there is plenty of stuff to do as msl also said. Greek life is something you should think about even though you might not be interested in it at this moment. I thought frats were gay before I came to college, but now I'm in one. Parties at fraternity houses are quite good, make alot of friends during BGR cause they most likely will be rushing or pledging at some houses and can get you in the parties. If you have friends that are already here or are getting a house or something, theres also house parties. I prefer frat parties over house parties, since the house parties I've been to just are dull and boring. If not partying, theres alot of other stuff to do such as chilling at the union, walk around chauncey/wabash landing area. You got a wide variety of clubs to join and do intramural sports. You will prob. be busy with academics, but if not then extracurriculars or joining a fraternity will keep you busy.</p>

<p>Ok , i am definetly going to pledge. Thanks. But i am in engineering and really want to go to grad school so will Going Greek affect my GPA or it doesnt make a difference ?</p>

<p>It all depends on YOU, since college is all about time management. If you party when your supposed to and do your work when your supposed to then your GPA won't be affected. If your really lousy with time management then you party more towards the weekend not starting on Thursday. My fraternity house is mainly engineer majors and we have a few physics/math majors too. Most of them all have over 2.5 GPA is which quite good since it's over the all-mens average in greek life. Our highest GPA is a 3.9 inwhich a physics/math major holds. Honestly, your GPA is determined by you.</p>

<p>Hey Jimgotkp,</p>

<p>I'm a Senior in high school and have decided on doing two years at CC. After that I'm looking at transfering to a couple big ten schools including Purdue. I'm also very interested in joining a fraternity. Would I be able to rush/pledge even though I would be a Junior transfer? How common is it for Juniors to join? Thanks.</p>

<p>Honestly, I'm not sure how often it is to have a Junior go through pledgeship when it's mainly freshmen and a few sophomores. The thing is, for my pledge class we had a brother(back then a pledge) who was a Junior and it really didn't matter. Basically, you will have to wait and see how it will go. Honestly, it doesn't even matter that your a Junior, maybe you missed a year or two but it's nothing big.</p>

<p>Alright so I've finally decided that I'm going to purdue, and im looking at dorms. Do you know what dorms a large bunch of freshman dorm in? I'd also like to be by the rec center or some place with a gym. Any suggestions?</p>

<p>pretty much all the dorms are close to the rec center...wiley and meredith are the closest...kinda sux for freshman cuz the dorms u get aren't that great lol...and most dorms have a ton of freshman so don't worry about that...now the question is do u want all guys or not</p>

<p>I've been in Cary South both years. It's really close to the engineering buildings (~5 minute walk to class) and, of course, Mackey and Ross-Ade. The Co-Rec is about a 10 minute walk.</p>

<p>The only downside is that you'll probably have a closet room freshman year. I did last year. They're the smallest rooms on campus, but you get used to them. It also makes your floor a lot closer. Guys are more likely to interact with each other if it's hard to hide in their rooms all day/night.</p>

<p>Advice to anyone that may live in Cary South: 1. Rent the double loft from the Original Loft Company (you'll get a thing in the mail). It makes the room seems twice as big. You just have to sleep about two feet from the ceiling. 2. Get a futon. You can make a nice little living "room", and futons are great for naps.</p>

<p>Chances are that you can't do 2 without doing 1. Most of the rooms are tiny.</p>

<p>Hey, now i got rejected by Illinois-Ubana Champaign so my dad got quite ****ed because many students in my class with a lower SAT and much lower GPA got accepted (Industrial), i applied for chemical engineering. So I would like to ask if the internship oppurtunities for engineering students is good or not. And what about the job placement after graduation cause all of these are big factors in deciding which university to go in.</p>

<p>If you think you know what you might want to do for your career in Chem E, you may want to look into getting into the co-op program. You'll have 3 or 5 job sessions guaranteed with a single company. A lot of co-ops are eventually hired full-time. If you do the 5 session, you'll go to school one semester, then work, then school, etc., and you'd take five years to graduate.</p>

<p>I'm currently looking for an internship, but with this economy and my lack of job experience, it's proving to be an uphill battle. Granted, I'm also mechanical engineering. It could be different for ChemE's</p>

<p>But I dont want a co-op program I just want to do a couple of summer internships. Is that possible ?</p>

<p>So i'm not to worried about all mens or not. What about dining halls? Do all of the dorms have a dining hall or do you have to walk to another? If you do have to walk how inconvient is it or do they have it set up nice?</p>

<p>And what dorm would be a close walk to engineering buildings and to the rec center? I'm going into engineering, and I'd like to be close to the rec. 10 minute walk is no big deal.</p>

<p>shiva,</p>

<p>You can find summer internships. That's what most people do. The Center for Career Opportunities (CCO) is a great place to look. They have several listings on their website and often have interviews on campus by many employers. There's also two big job fairs-Industrial Roundtable in the Fall and Expo in the Spring. IR is the biggest student-led job fair in the country. Lots of companies there look for interns. A good backup (which I may do) is also look into summer research especially if you may do grad school.</p>

<p>Cody,</p>

<p>Not all of the dorms have a dining hall, but all of them are close to one. I'd say that in any residence, you're no more than a five minute walk from a dining hall. For instance, Ford and Wiley Dining Halls are stand-alone buildings between residence halls. Earhart, Hillenbrand, and Windsor have their own dining halls. You can go to any dining court, though.</p>

<p>As for close to engineering and the Co-Rec, I'd say Cary (but I may be biased). It's the closest residence hall to the Engineering Mall and is about a ten minute walk to the Co-Rec. Plus, it has the Knight Spot Grill in the basement that's open until 1 a.m., and Tark Mart (Boiler Junction) is a convenience store in Tarkington that's open until 11 p.m. You can use your Dining Dollars at those places as well as Boiler Express, cash, or credit card.</p>

<p>Cary has small rooms, though, so be aware. Owen, Tarkington, and Wiley are all fairly close (at least closer than Earhart, Shreve, McCutcheon, and Harrison) and are all closer to the Co-Rec than Cary. They also have bigger rooms.</p>

<p>Also, as a freshman engineer, a lot of your classes may be in the physics, math, electrical engineering, chemistry, and Class of '50 buildings just as a reference. If you're looking at a map of campus, that might help you with proximity of classes and dorms.</p>

<p>Oh, ok thanks. And are most these internships paid internships ?</p>

<p>A lot are, but not all. For instance, I'm thinking about doing a research internship in Germany next summer that I'd have to pay for. Granted, it'd give me an excuse to live in Germany for 8 weeks during the World Cup. :)</p>

<p>It really just depends on each internship.</p>